Airbag Jacket any good? ( Hit Air Safermoto jacket & vest)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mikeyoda, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had a Hit-Air vest (deployed twice at the track) and now wear an Alpinestars Race vest inside one of their Missile suits. I have not road tested it to date.

I’m very interested in the Tech-Air 5 simply because it is designed to be used within the jacket. The first crash I had with the Hit-Air was on very rough and abrasive pavement and it was shredded before it could completely inflate.

The Race vest can be set to Street mode and worn inside of a compatible jacket, but I find switching it back and fourth to be cumbersome, and still default to my Aerostich for most street riding. I prefer the Alpinestars system as it doesn’t require anything on the bike, somI can switch between machines without changing anything on them.

The electronic systems offer the advantage of being independent of the machine and do deploy faster, but there isn’t any real test standard to judge the reliability and effectiveness of their deployments- but the same is true for the tethered systems. It comes down to faith in the engineering of the company providing the product. Alpinestars at least has the collected data from every suit sent back for recharging, and the last time I connected the Race vest to the mothership it got an entirely new program installed.
  2. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yahoo - my Klim airbag vest has finally shipped. I deployed my Hit-Air vest in a low-speed, deep sand tip over last weekend. It worked as advertised, but I did not need the protection. I am looking forward to getting rid of the tether. I have forgotten to attach it before and had it melt onto the exhaust or get eaten by the chain. I also switch frequently between bikes. I always ride with my Sena 30K headset, so a post-ride charging cable hookup is in my routine anyway. I am not crazy about the software subscription price - but I will give it a try.
    Peanut_Buttery and Valentino like this.
  3. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I have been trying on jackets with an electronic airbag in them:
    • In&Motion: I was hugely impressed with the In&Motion vest (i.e. the airbag used in the Klim AI-1 and Held eVest). Because it's got a reassuringly large inflation volume, I thought it would be heavy. I was wrong! I tried on a Held eVest – virtually identical to Klim's vest – and it felt lighter than my back protector.
    • Alpinestars Tech-Air Street: I loved its shoulder coverage (because big shoulder impacts can cause spinal damage) and how much torso coverage it gives. It seems highly protective (expect for the neck, but too much neck protection may be counter-productive). The price of protection is the weight.
    • Dainese D-Air Street: I tried on some Dainese jackets with the airbag integrated, and the D-Air Street felt like a stealth system: you can't feel it's there. The airbag gives excellent protection to the ribs, plus some neck protection. I'd only want this system in one of the leather jackets – e.g. the Racing 3 D-Air – because Dainese can repair them after a crash. (A textile jacket could get shredded in a collision.) There's no airbag protection for the back, and CE A-ratings for Dainese jackets could be better. But you could wear a Racing 3 D-Air and forget it had an airbag; it felt the same as any leather jacket with a back protector.
    I think a jacket with an integrated D-Air Street system would be the comfiest, but the In&Motion airbag looks more protective and almost as easy to live with. I wish both of them had Alpinestars' shoulder protection, but airbag life's a compromise.
  4. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the jackets with built in air bags. Decided my Helite vest will be better as I can wear it over any other clothes I want based on weather/heat. With the jacket, when it hits 115F, it's not going to be the best set up having to wear that jacket.
    Suncoaster and John Smallberries like this.
  5. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I fear a fundamental tradeoff between venting and airbags. I have great venting in my Klim Lattitude jacket, but my Hit-Air vest covers much of it. My sons both have Helite airbag adventure jackets and their venting is limited. I'll give a report of hot-weather riding with my Lattitude and the new Klim vest once it arrives. I am HOPING it will be better having the wind-blocking airbag material inside the jacket, rather than outside. It may take a few more generations of product innovation to solve this problem.
  6. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just won't do in the Az. deserts heat. I can wear my mesh jacket with heat out long sleeve shirt in the extreme heat and survive, cordura jacket when it's 70ish, and throw the liner in for 40F temps or below. Any of the combinations of jacket and vest beats having to wear one jacket all year long.
    The vest blocks some airflow on the back, but using mesh jackets, plenty of ventilation with the vest on unlike my cordura jackets.

Where I live, venting is as important as armored/airbag set ups. If you can't get air flowing out here in the heat, you'll end up with heat exhaustion or heat stroke within a few hours.
  7. yellowcarbon

yellowcarbon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A vest is way more flexible than a jacket with the air bag built in. It allows you to pick the jacket depending on weather. I like my Hit-Air vest but will eventually upgrade to one of the electric airbag vest soon enough. I wear my Hit-Air MLV vest over an Aerostich Darien, Vanson leather, Motoport Kelvar mesh/stretch, etc. That way I can wear the gear that fits the occasion best. In town fall meeting my wife for dinner/lunch = Vanson leather & riding jeans. Mid summer day long ride = Kevlar stretch pants & jacket.

I ride in Phoenix, AZ where dry heat is my major concern as well. It is 100 degrees or hotter from May to October on a very regular basis. Late June through early September is more like 105-115, where 90 degrees is the low temp of the day. So mesh or something with air flow (like Motoport Kevlar stretch) is the way to go. Less than a few hours and I do mesh (with ice vest when I was commuting to work). A day long ride and I do stretch Kevlar with a cooling vest (and reapply water on a regular basis).

To keep balance in the world, there is a week or two where the lows gets into the low 30's. Also the occasional rain, but we get like 6-8 inches a year, so a very minor concern.
    AZQKR likes this.
  8. SportEvo

SportEvo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been wearing he-lite vest and he-lite adventure jacket for the last 18 months or so.
    Received my alpinestars tech air 5 Two weeks ago and it will replace the he lites.
    Seems to flow air pretty well (worn with motoport mesh, aerostich Darien and original bmw rally jackets).
    Only feels awkward until I put the jacket on ... then I hardly notice it.
    for me, it is a big plus to not have to tether to the bike.
    Sadly, it arrived one day after I left for a 6 day trip to Colorado ... so don’t have a long term review yet.
    so far, I am a big fan.
    AZQKR, Valentino and Peanut_Buttery like this.
  9. Camcow

Camcow Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Latitude and just got the Hit Air MLV vest. I don’t find it blocks much of the front vents at all, and only a little of the horizontal rear vent. Underarm and shoulder vents work fine. The chest pockets with the mesh inner panels don’t flow much air when open unless you pin the zippers back.
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  10. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well my credit card got finally charged and I got an email
    Notification of shipping. So it should be here shortly
  11. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well finally arrived
    New Klim Airbag vest is here
    IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3098.jpg
    Peanut_Buttery and Valentino like this.
  12. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks great, except it's missing those all-important flashing lights on your arm. How can it be a proper airbag without flashing lights? :D
  13. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it works it phone app it shows you all the info
    Including speed etc
    I can’t remember what else will take a screen shot
    Also the box has lights tell you is armed and ready but agree I like the front light immediate knowledge it’s on and ok
  14. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry my wrong about info
    Here is screen shot
    IMG_3114.png
  15. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds complicated for those of us still living in a cave. So what happens if you don't have a Bluetooth compatible smart phone? Still not sure I understand how the Klim vest works. But then again I am ok with attaching the tether on my Helite jacket. I think venting is going to be an issue with most protective gear. I envy the HD guys who think nothing of riding with a bandana, and a tank top as I used to do in my dumber days.
  16. Peanut_Buttery

Peanut_Buttery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you lost in the modern world? :D
  17. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gladly so.