Airbag Jacket any good? ( Hit Air Safermoto jacket & vest)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mikeyoda, Dec 20, 2009.

1. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    you sure about that? The vests are noticibly shorter than the MLV. The connector is also in a different position on the vest.
  2. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm sure. It may be that the speed hump on their leathers is causing the whole vest to ride up higher on their chest.
  3. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ii see it now, thanks.
  4. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brother just ordered an MLV-Lightweight from SaferMoto. I am thinking about the YS or the MV-3.

I commute 20 miles through heavy Los Angeles freeway traffic to downtown LA every few days and think that maybe a Hit Air isn't a bad idea.
  5. Houngan

Houngan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the YS (hi viz yellow full vest) and was very please with the honesty and responses of John at Safermoto. Some concerns I had and their answers:

Q: How good is the back protection upgrade?
    A: Not very good. If you want real back protection other than the airbag, you need real armor like Forcefield.

I asked this because I'm trying to put together a removeable full-armor solution that I can stow. That way I can buy lesser jackets for the seasons but still have great protection.

Q: Does the vest allow wind through? Will it block the vents of my jacket?
    A: It lets wind through like a sieve

Q: What sort of armor would fit?
    A: This page: http://www.forcefieldperformance.com/product/upgrade-back-inserts/2361 Perhaps John can specify which model on that page, since it's Flash and the models change as you mouse over them.

Anyway, I'll update when it arrives, I'll be wearing it over a Tourmaster Air Intake and a Fieldsheer Highland jacket.

H.
  6. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im trying to decide whether to go hi-vis or stay black. Im worried about the Hi vis bleaching out in a year or too. WHich is something I hate with those intensive colors.
  7. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure it might bleach,but would still be a lot more visible than black.

JR356
    With high viz YS vest:thumb
  8. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safemoto - My daughter rides horses. I see that these vests are making inroads in the equestrian world where safety is way down the list of concerns. Daughter broke her shoulder recently in a silly fall while walking her horse back to the stable at a show. Fell on rock hard roadway. I bet with you jacket it would have been no injury.

I will show your site to wife (horse person) & see what she thinks. I think the product is maturing and will be looking into it myself.
  9. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    You can also look at our http://www.saferrider.com which has more of a equestrian tilt. Our http://www.safermoto.com/products/vest_km/index.html KM Vest for children or our http://www.safermoto.com/products/vest_equestrian/index.html LV SV2 vest is specifically designed for tthe Equestrian rider.
    Our http://www.safermoto.com/products/fr/index.html FR ladies jacket is alos very popular with the Equestrain Riders.

If you have any questions we would be happy to answer them for you :clap
  10. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    We dont have any data on how the color changes over time, sorry. The material is very hard wearing so we dont foresee any issues with the color "bleaching" within a year or two.

If you have any further questions we would be happy to answer them
  11. spaceharrier

spaceharrier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The vest doesn't dominate visually; it's not that big when packed. If visibility is your primary concern I'd suggest (as a layman) to get a hi-viz jacket and the vest over the top. Lots more material in the jacket than the vest.
  12. spawnx66

spawnx66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I saw this thread. I didn't even know these products existed (air vests) I'm definitely interested in getting one.
  13. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to do eventing asa kid. There are about 4 companies doing air vests now for horse riders. But the Hit Air vests are definetly the fastest inflating and with the smallest foot print for the wearer ive seen.
  14. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is the yellow MLV so much more expensive than the black version?
  15. jacbrown

jacbrown As old as my tongue, a little older than my teeth

Oddometer:
    :roflJohn at SaferMoto is really helpful. At 6'5", I was concerned about the fit. John's answer was to send me both an MLV and a YS vest. :clap:clap I picked the MLV and sent the YS back, no problem. :D

I got the 3XL MLV and its both long enough and has lots of adjustment for waist size. Just a personal preference, but I liked the freedom of movement with the MLV and I didn't see any significant difference in air bag coverage between it and the full vest.

One thing you tall guys need to be aware of is the tether length. :deal I bought a spare that fit my sport bike fine. On the KLR, however, the tether was right on the edge of being too short for a lot of standing on the bike. Since ADV inmates do a lot of upright offroad riding , taller inmates may need to work out something special, depending on their bike and body. John was nice enough to send me a prototype of a longer tether, but I think I got the only one. If anybody gets in trouble on this issue, send me a pm and I'll take a picture of the long tether for you. It wouldn't be too hard to make up something similar for yourself.

Safer John,

I didn't identify myself as an ADV inmate when I ordered and don't expect any discount, but feel free to make a charitable contribution with me in mind. Actually, I think I've used up any consideration with the extra service you sent my way. Thanks again.
  16. kjames

kjames Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great product, not suited to the type of riding i do though.

Is there anyway of linking the tether to bike's keys. So you have you bike ignition keys attached to one end of the tether and connect at the same time as putting the keys in the ignition.

When you finished you take the key out, untether from the bike and pop the key in a pocket on the vest.

K
  17. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    Hi Jac,
    Great to hear the MLV worked out so well and good to have more data about sizing for the big guys! Thanks for the kind words.
    I have donated $30 on your behalf to the Peter Lenz fund at http://www.peterlenz.org

Also, as you probably noticed, my ID has changed. Alan is taking over SaferMoto. Best,
    -John
  18. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    John, why is the yellow MLV more expensive than the Black version?
  19. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    I honestly have no idea. I was pretty surprised myself when I saw that. I can see the material being slightly more expensive but I... Oh, wait, no...
    Bad answer.
    The yellow material is a special blend of titanium and carbon fiber and regrows hair and makes you irresistible to the ladies.:evil

no?
    :lol3
  20. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    Good idea about the keys but it would depend on where you attach the tether. A lot of the guys on race bikes or race-like bikes attach the tether to the triple clamp so it wouldn't be hard to have another tether from there to the key, maybe some sort of elastic?
    But if you are attaching the tether closer to your seat, as I imagine most of you ADV inmates would, it would be a little funky...
    Or you could get the soon-to-be-famous John Smallberries mod.

I'm curious what kind of riding do you do and why do you think the airbag vest is not suited to it.

Cheers,
    -John