Airbag Vest, ATGATT's New Addition?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Aug 6, 2017.

1. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO It won't be long before BMW and/or other manufacturers will offer this protection built into their jackets.
    I think it's a great idea although it's too hot and humid down here to wear one. I firmly believe in ATGATT and wear everything all the time but there are limits to my endurance in the climate I live in. Just from my personal perspective. YMMV.
  2. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is my understanding that an essential function of the back pad in the Helite is that it protects the air bladder in the event of a crash - it wouldn't do much good if the bladder were to wear through and pop during a slide.

As for those concerned about the inconvenience of the vest being another layer - I have the Helite leather jacket, which replaced my old leather jacket, so the only difference is clipping in and out of the tether. We have a tether on each of our bikes, also.
  3. BkADV

BkADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Helite seems very nice and the new alpine star air tech seems to be leaving you more vulnerable for your neck area..

for those that dont like to wear the neckbrace, is it because with the fuss of putting it on or movement restriction? I have one coming in this week(moveo concept) and plan to sew in velcro patches on my riding jacket to affix the neck brace so when I put my jacket, the neck brace is always there
    monkey wrench likes this.
  4. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Helite did say to remove the back pad from the jacket and rely on the pad in the Helite vest, for the reason above.

I don't mind wearing the neckbrace, 99% of the time I don't notice it.
    It did snag an external bluetooth unit when turning the head, but now I have a Sena 10U with no external protrusions.
    The neckbrace just takes an extra minute or two when gearing up.
  5. istadniy

istadniy Ivan the Quite OK

Oddometer:
    I have/had a Hit-Air vest and mine did just that - popped during a slide, but after shielding me from impact and holding my head straight. As far as I understand once you are sliding along on your back the vest's job is done.

My 5 year old Hit-Air vest has two zippers on the back (probably that's where the air bladder gets put inside). They are normally covered by fabric flaps and point slightly to the side after inflation. Once I was sliding on my back, it was one of those zippers that tore up and exposed the air bladder. I cannot find any other abrasion damage on the vest fabric.
  6. Smaug1

Smaug1 '19 Kawasaki Versys 1000, '15 SMax

Oddometer:
    My #1 concern when crashing is that I will fly off the bike head-first, head something with my head and break my neck. (if a left-turner gets me)

Look at the slo mo YouTube video of a Goldwing crashing into the side of a van, to show the effectiveness of the built-in airbag in the Goldwings.

Will an airbag vest protect me against this? I'm skeptical.
  7. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No,but then again no MC gear other than maybe the Honda airbag will prevent against this type of neck trauma.
    The airbag vests help to prevent neck hyperextension similar to the headrests in your car and blunt and possibly limited penetrating trauma to your torso.

JR356
  8. TomCrean

TomCrean Smelly old tramp.

Oddometer:
    That's what I did but I've had the original Helite Airnest, which had the protector inside as opposed to outside the airbag on the newer Turtle vest. The D3O back protector in the Rallye jacket is bigger and gives more coverage so it makes sense. I figure if the air bladder abrades through in a slide and deflates then I'm already down and should hopefully/probably have slowed enough to let the jacket armour do its thing.

I'd have to get hands on with the Turtle vest to decide if I'd adopt the same line of thought then.

I also have Rukka and A* Valparaiso 2 jackets with their own upgraded back protectors so swapping the airvest is routine and uncomplicated.

Now I've adopted wearing the Helite vest there's no way I'll opt to ride without wearing one. I had a low speed tumble last weekend (front wheel washed out on construction debris) and ended up pitched off the bike and going head first into a 6' deep ditch. Dusted myself off and swapped the CO2 cartridge before continuing my journey. I can attest to how well supported my neck was and how pleased I am with the decision to put the money down for the vest.
    Titlerider likes this.
  9. istadniy

istadniy Ivan the Quite OK

Oddometer:
    Depends in how taut you like the tether :D
    On the other hand in a highside where you part ways with your bike before getting all too intimate with the road Goldwing's airbag will be less useful.
  10. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    I wear mine religiously. Picked it up at the MOA Rally in Hamburg, NY in 2016 and it saved me from massive internal injuries on March 25, 2017. I chose to NOT remove the back protectors from any of my jackets.
    Iron Cross Junction and TomCrean like this.
  11. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear my Hit-Air all the time. I won't ride without it. I leave it on my jacket when I take it off, and it slips on with the jacket when I don my gear. It's not a hassle at all.

I started thinking about one of these after a friend had an accident. He was leading a small group of riders. The road turned, he didn't. He has no idea why not. His riding gear protected him from any kind of abrasion or concussion. But he had 17 broken bones in his chest, a fractured vertebrae and a crushed vertebrae. With something like an airbag vest, he might've walked away from the accident. Instead, for several months, it was touch and go for if he'd live or not.

I've had the occasion to use mine. A stupid accident. I came up to a large busy intersection and saw that the light had just turned green. It would take a couple seconds for the traffic on my left to get moving and I was turning right, so I took the opportunity to go quickly. Just as I started to move, a teenager with his skateboard walked out in front of me. I grabbed the front brake and before I knew it, I was lying on the ground against the curb. As I laid there, I realized that I didn't hurt even though I was against the edge of the curb. Then I realized the air bag vest had deployed before I hit. There were no broken or bruised ribs. Just injured pride. And the realization that a 570 lb motorcycle can have a lot of force to throw you down ...and it weighs a lot to pick up.

I took a 7500 mile trip through many of the western states and Canada earlier this summer. I was a little concerned about heat. I needn't be. The Olympia Dakar jacket flowed enough air when the temps were below 90F, and when it got up into the mid-90s and 100s, the blockage of the airflow from the vest actually helped. I wore a CycleGear cooling vest when it got hot and found the water stayed in the vest for about 3 hours. On the other hand, a couple riders I met who had only mesh jackets, found their cooling vests only lasted about 30 minutes.

To me, it is a no brainer. The Hit-Air is about $540 and that's a lot cheaper than one night in the ER...and you don't have the pain from recuperating later.

Chris
  12. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have two back protector on (helite and jacket)?
  13. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went the opposite way. After finding out about a few acquaintances who had been seriously injured and a couple killed I started looking at air vests.

By the time I suited up in everything I felt like I was in a space suit. With heated liners I had two umbilical cords.

After evaluating them and thinking things over I just quit riding.

Now when I want to go somewhere I just climb in my truck. Why the truck? Cause my WRX would get me too many tickets :)
    Titlerider, Ebayru and EdChap13 like this.
  14. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why do you post here then? This is the second post I've seen from you on this forum in the span of 5 minutes about how you've quit riding.
    Motorius and Daboo like this.
  15. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering the same thing. Why are you here? Not that I mind, but it just seems strange. Maybe you're not so secretly yearning to buy a bike??? :)

Yeah, I have two umbilical cords too. Like an umbilical cord, it keeps me safe and comfortable. ;) Prior to the heated gear, I felt like the Michelin man. I joked at work that if I fell off my bike, I'd just bounce because of all the layers I wore. Then I got heated gear and believe me, that few seconds to plug in the heated gear is nothing. One thing I noticed in my commute in 35F rain, was it was just as enjoyable as in the summer if you dressed for it.

As for the airbag vest cord...I don't like riding without it. I'm not paranoid or anything. I'm just aware that I won't heal as quickly in my 60's as I did in my 20's. I haven't had an accident, but I won't be surprised if I do. So if I do go down...I'd like to do so with minimal damage to me. I just don't like the thought of dealing with aches and pains that can be avoided. So the other few seconds it takes to clip that lanyard to the bike, is nothing.

Chris
  16. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a problem. But, when someone mentions that they expect to crash, then it just goes that way.

I read in here mostly for the other topics but these sometimes get my attention.

Riding is dangerous. Just be up front about it. Nothing you do will save you if you are in a bad enough crash. Several people I know have died while wearing all the gear. Adding an airbag to me meant I was admitting to myself that I was getting to be afraid of the crash. Not a good mindset for me.

My intent on posting is to ask yourself is it worth it? Some will puff out their chests and say 'ride or die'. Some may look and find what I did, not worth it. If you are considering air bags you may be of the latter mindset.
  17. TomCrean

TomCrean Smelly old tramp.

Oddometer:
    Or you might be like everyone who decided at a certain point (70's/80's) that helmet technology had advanced enough and added enough protection to make it worthwhile putting one on before going out on their motorcycle.

It's not ride or die. That's BS. It's like wearing decent gloves, boots and helmet. None of it will help if it's a bad enough accident but you do the smart thing to mitigate some of the risks and put on the gear.

Really, If you're going to think that way you might as well squid it or wrap yourself up in cotton wool and die safe and sound at home.
    Motorius and George Hanson like this.
  18. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree about the danger. I used to go mountain climbing in my earlier years. This is more dangerous and why I don't encourage my daughters to get their licenses.

I go by Paul's comment:

Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

I'm not worried about a semi going thump thump thump over my body; I know where I'm going when I die. It's lying in a bed for the next year or more in pain that I'm not to keen on. ;)

Before I retired in April, I was in project management. One of the things you focus on, is Risk Management. Identify the risk. Identify the probability of occurrence. Identify the amount of cost if it does occur, no matter how slight a probability. And then find a way to mitigate the risk, if you can't eliminate it. I've commuted for the past eleven years up and down Seattle's I-5 and I-405 corridor, and put on well over 100,000 miles in the process. I've hit my brakes hard during that time maybe 7 times. One of those was for the GEICO squirrel. Another was for Bambi's aunt. I attribute part of that to my guardian angel working overtime, and part to the riding skills I've learned. But since I can't eliminate the risk from even Bambi's aunt jumping out in front of me, I mitigate the risk with an airbag vest. I'm not paranoid. Just trying to be smart.

I've come to the conclusion that riding is in my blood. I love riding, even in the winter months here when the temps are around 35F and the rain is coming down. I've ridden down in the teens when the streets were still dry. Friends will ask if I rode that day, and I'll reply with a question, "Is it snowing?". And I'll put on my gear this afternoon (including my airbag vest!) even though the temps will be in the mid-80s and I'll get sweaty. Because I'd rather ride than drive my car.

And hopefully I'll have many more years of riding ahead before I put the last bike up for sale. :)

Chris

19. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  20. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My only thought about putting it into a jacket itself, is you need to have it in all your jackets. That's expensive. It's far cheaper to just buy the vest and when you change jackets, you still have the airbag capability.

Chris
    dyg likes this.