Airbag Vest, ATGATT's New Addition?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Aug 6, 2017.

1. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was my thought when I bought my Hit Air vest several years ago.

JR356
    ShineySideUp likes this.
  2. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the helite turtle but have two questions. First regarding sizing should it be the same size as your regular jacket ? Im 5' 8" 170lbs size 42 us. Should the vest be a size L ?

I have watched various videos . The fluorescent jacket looks yellow in some videos and neon green on other videos. What colour is it ? I'm leaning towards the hi viz colour but probably will look a fluorescent light stick

On Revzilla web site they're a mention of a design flaw with the neck portion damaging the inside of a full face helmet? Has anyone experienced this ?

Thanks for your feedback
  3. Mitu

Mitu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I currently use a Helite Turtle, but am finding that it is increasingly inconvenient for casual riding.

Has anybody looked into the Dainese D-Air jackets? I'm impatiently waiting for the D-Air Cyclones to come stateside, but it looks like Dainese is taking their sweet time.
  4. BkADV

BkADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    D-Air jacket, from a quick youtube research seems to be using GPS to determine whether your moving or not

lol this will go crazy in NYC as gps systems dont really work well.

Yes Big cities are getting on the ground cell phone coverage now(regular light poles with radio built in) but I still do not get good gps signal on the ground
  5. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' 190# 43" chest, 36" waist and I went with an XL. The velcro fastening tabs are snugged all the way up and there's still ample expansion room. Based on that I assume I'd be right on the cusp between a Large and an XL. My take is you'd be safe in a Large.

The yellow color is very hi-viz to me. I'd say yellowish with a fluorescent green cast to it in sunlight.

Check with Erik MotoMan on this forum, but I have a Nolan N43 modular and there's no damage on the inside on my helmet. I believe it was a previous issue that has now been successfully addressed.

Slim
    Bikerboy likes this.
  6. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin'

Oddometer:
    I'm 7 months into "returning rider" status. I wear the Helite vest (in hi-viz). I was convinced by the @ErikMotoMan accident thread, and figured that at my mid/late 50's age with 40 years off, I could use all the protection I could get. Same reason my bike has integrated ABS, traction control, ride modes, etc.

I would describe myself as a "cautiously optimistic" rider. I obey the speed limits, slow down to suggested speeds for turns, etc etc. I'm hoping to never need the vest, and hoping to be able to ride at least 15 years or more safely. In other words, I can have a great time riding while not pressing the limits.

That all said, if I ever should come off the bike, I figure the added cost of the vest is nothing compared to the added body damage and healing time. Even if all it does is keep me from breaking one rib in a get off, it will have been worth the money.

Heat-wise, I have found that in my Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket without liner I am comfortable in motion up to about 86-88 degrees, though when stopped I definitely heat up. Then again, I would heat up either way.

What don't I like about the vest? My helmet (Arai XD-4) is starting to turn the collar area black. And I have no idea how to ever wash the thing.
    Repoman87 and TomCrean like this.
  7. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Helite Turtle here.........................................
  8. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I made a quick short video, of how much extra time does airbag vest add to gear up before taking off.

As you can see, it is practically nothing! Mine stays on the R-3(Aerostich Roadcrafter), so it goes on with R-3, and it comes off with R-3, no extra step or added time.
    After getting on the bike, how long does it take to clip the coiled wire (tether) to the vest? A second or two, at the most.

While it’s not “fighter pilot scramble” fast, I can do it about twice as fast if I really need to. (But, I have no reason to rush.)

Downside of wearing airbag vest?

Nothing, really, ... other than ...

It makes you look dorky.

(Well, I wear Hi-Viz yellow Aerostich, so I already look dorky enough from the beginning.)

It makes you look fat.
    (One piece Aerostich makes you look fatter than you actually are, anyway. Who cares. You can’t see yourself while riding.)

It costs over $500.
    (A whole lot cheaper than ambulance ride to ER,though)

Really the only thing you’d loose is “cool” image. And the level of protection the airbag vest offer far outweigh the uncool look.

[​IMG]
    Rockred, Repoman87 and lnewqban like this.
  9. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will preface my comments by saying that I wear a neck brace when I ride. I like the idea of the airbag vest idea and think you would get used to the extra garment quickly.
    The reason I don't have an air bag vest at this time is I am concerned about having to reactivate the bag if I fall multiple times in a long trip. This would need for me to carry several gas canisters.
    Just one mud section or difficult sand section could see me without neck protection for the remainder of the trip.

I need neck protection for two reasons
    1) I am over 40 years of age
    2) I have pre-existing central cord syndrome from hyper extension in a bike accident. ( face plant in deep sand). My physical deficit is only minor.

After another riding friend broke his neck after a high side crash on his 990 KTM, we all decided that we should wear either a neck brace or air jacket.
    The neck fracture was fixed, but he has a full case of central cord syndrome which has left him with altered sensation in his arms and legs and muscle weakness. He had to stop farming and retire prematurely.

My position is that if you are over 40 ( when you spinal cord room to flex is reduced) you should wear either a brace or an air jacket for your families' sake.
  10. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I asked my dealer to order in a Helite for me, which he now has ready for me to pick up. But I'm rethinking: I have the relatively protective EnduroGuard jacket and the Clearwater Darlas and Billie flashing brake light - so I'm relatively conspicuous. I don't really like the idea of adding another "vest", having to clip it to the bike and dealing with the reduced access to jacket pockets and vents. And it's expensive. This is one piece of gear I might talk myself out of buying.
  11. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin'

Oddometer:
    Understandable. Keep in mind all you listed are visibility items. Hopefully they keep the perpetually blind cellphone addicts from missing your presence on the road.

If you do get hit however, or come off the bike on gravel in a turn or a patch of diesel none of this items will pad your torso or support your neck.

I'm an older returning rider. I wear the vest as part of my 'arsenal' to protect me 'just in case'... only you can decide what the vest is worth tô you.
  12. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been wearing my Helite turtle vest since the spring and only occasionally forget to clip in or out of it now when I'm getting on or off the bike and have fortunately not deployed it when I have forgotten to un-clip it.
    As far as wearing the vest I really don't notice it while riding but feel naked without it now. From the videos I've seen of it being deployed I am pretty confident in it's ability to support my neck and protect my torso in the case of a get-off. Being an ATGATT rider I feel it is just one more item that I can use to sway the odds in my favor if I do go down for some reason, I certainly know that nothing can completely protect me in every scenario but cutting the risk by wearing the vest is worth it to me. It is also a lot less expensive that my insurance deductible.
    I do have to say I hate the look of the Hi-Viz version of it - I look like I should be pushing shopping carts at the local store parking lot - I not a vain person - I ride a Vstrom and wear a Roadcrafter after all - but a little style to or removal of the reflective material on it would go a long way to making it a little more palatable.
    I would love to have it built-in to either my Roadcrafter or Darien jacket.
    Francisco Castro and Sailorlite like this.
  13. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It may not look great, but reflective panels do help, if you ride evening / night, to be seen.
    (Camera was set about the height of typical passenger car dirver's eye level.)
    [​IMG]
    I should put some reflective tape on the back of the helmet.
    Repoman87, ErikMotoMan and Motorius like this.
  14. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    I'm living proof that conspicuity won't make a damn difference if the person who hits you is texting. The only reason I'm still alive is thanks to airbag technology.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  15. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    The comments to that I have gotten are:

"I think thought you were a cop"

Hiviz is my choice for obvious reasons, and I think it looks the part of s professional and safety focused motorcyclist. As an added benefit, hiviz reflects heat.
  16. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a big believer in HiViz, I truly think it helps to be seen in daylight and if it means the other drivers sees me a second or two quicker or they catch the color out of the corner of their eye and recognize it as something/someone there I feel it is worth it, I know it won't matter if they aren't even looking at all. Reflective on the other hand doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I don't think it does much during the day and at night I think the bike is a vizable as any other vehicle on the road.
    Motorius likes this.
  17. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Except... if it is dark and your bike breaks down, loses electrical power or is otherwise disabled, then reflective panels could save your life.

Or, God forbid, a crash situation, where the rider survives the initial accident but gets hit while trying to recover?

That was my greatest fear when I was lying on the freeway on March 25, 2017. Due to my left femur being broken, I could not get up! One of the very first comments I heard was: 'You won't believe the carnage behind you!'

IMG_6406.JPG
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  18. NoSweat

NoSweat Just Wandering

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your story ErikMotoMan. There's another interesting video of an airbag vest in action a few posts down in this thread:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/hit-a-deer-this-morning.1245280/

I will likely be getting myself an airbag vest or jacket in the near future. Being a relatively young guy (29), I still find my purist bones aching slightly when I go out in anything other than shorts and a t-shirt. But the truth is that we're not always in control of our surroundings. And these airbag vests seem like an easy and unobtrusive way to mitigate catastrophe. One question for those that have them: I'm assuming that you would disconnect the tether when riding off-road in anything other than hard-packed gravel, is this correct? I would hate to have an airbag deploy just because I hit a patch of sand or mud or a big rock and dropped the bike in a low-speed off. Plus, when out in the boonies, the biggest danger to us riders, that being the other drivers all over the road and on their cell phones, is non-existent.
  19. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Well, actually, there's an interesting parallel story somewhere here, which I believe was actually written by an MD about his very slow speed off that, broke several of his ribs. The mechanics of a very slow speed crash is that it will 'smack' you into the ground like a mouse trap. Typically, your arm will hit the ribs hard enough to break them.

Accordingly, you have 2 choices:

1) Leave vest tethered to bike at all times (my recommendation)

Or

2) Wear comprehensive MX style body armor while off-roading.
  20. charliektm400exc

charliektm400exc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a bad crash twenty five years ago. I was lying in the middle of an unlight country road at night. Because of the risk I had a spinal injury I wouldn't let the helpers move me off the road. I did however take my BMW helmet off as I could do it without risking my spine. And I was lying with my head in the direction cars would come from.

As I was lying there I suddenly heard people shouting, "he's not going to stop". I remember thinking, "well I survived one, but this is it". Next thing I know, I'm five metres down the road looking at the underside of the car. My lucky day.

The helpers just ignored me and moved me after that.