Airbag Vest, ATGATT's New Addition?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Aug 6, 2017.

1. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Believer here. I've ridden with airbag tech since 2009 and have a Hit-Air vest now. I used it once on a low-speed, low-side getting on a wet, oily Autobahn ramp in Austria. While it was not a life-threatening accident, I had nary a scratch or sore spot due to the bag.

I've gotten dozens of 'Michelin Man' jokes. I have never ONCE deployed the bag by forgetting to unclip. It takes a good hard tug to deploy. The bigger risk is simply forgetting to connect. This did happen several times before the muscle memory took over. The key is never rushing the pre-ride routine.

I bought Helite jackets for my sons who now ride. As stated many, many times - riding a motorcycle is an inherently unsafe thing to do. However, we can significantly improve the odds with our choices.

Just get one.
  2. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    I have an older friend who has been a motorcycle journalist his entire career. He's quite set in his ways (stubborn) and hates to spend money. Yet, in the aftermath of my crash, he immediately bought a vest. I was quite surprised. But pleasantly so.

My pain = someone's gain.
    ShineySideUp likes this.
  3. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do see your points in regard to the reflective being easier to see off the bike and I won't stop wearing mine because of it but for something that cost as much as it does a little styling wouldn't hurt, it shouldn't look like I bought it for $20 at Lowes. On the other hand one of the other things I don't like about wearing it is the difficulty storing it when I get off the bike somewhere, it takes up a lot of room in a pannier if it will fit at all - but with it being as ugly as it is I have just been leaving it on the seat, nobody knows what it is and they're not going to steal a dorky crossing guard vest.

With regard to wearing it off road, I don't think I would because I crash too often but you could wear it with the tether really loose so you have enough slack that as long as you didn't get completely separated from the bike it wouldn't deploy, I don't know if that would protect you or not though.
  4. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ With my vest I also wear MotoPort mesh jacket and pants. They also are very hard to store in panniers. What I did was buy a 6' cable and padlock. I run the cable through one leg of my MP pants and one arm of my MP jacket and one arm of the vest and lay it all on my seat and run the cable through passenger hand hold area.

I also don't have the lanyard attached when I ride off road. I would spend a good part of my day switching C02 cannisters to rearm the vest :D
    Motorius likes this.
  5. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Helite or Alpinestars Tech-Air Street? I have the Helite, pre Turtle I think. I can afford the Alpinestars (I ride cheap bikes), but am starting to wonder if it is really much of an improvement.
  6. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure your Helite is much like my Hit-Air. You can go for the high-tech Alpinestars air bag, but the lanyard on mine has deployed my Hit-Air airbag a couple times just fine.

Chris
  7. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Tech-Air probably provides a bit more protection, because it can activate even if you do not leave the bike. It also would activate a little sooner. No tether to remember, but the electronics also require keeping the battery charged, and it has to be returned to the factory if the system is activated. (It might also need to be sent for maintenance service every few years, or was that Dainese? Not sure)

I picked a Helite mainly because it is simpler. No electronics or charging, and I can replace the CO2 cartridge myself.

You just have to decide what you are willing to pay (price and convenience) vs how much protection you hope to not use.
  8. YourPal

YourPal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hit-air or Helite turtle?
    I decided to get a vest after a close call with a deer a couple of days ago. Now I'm just trying to decide what one.
  9. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through the same quandary a couple years ago. I ended up with the Hit-Air MLV-P in hi-vis yellow. It seems to protect the collar bone, trail bone, chest and back well. My AST2 comes with a back protector, so I didn't buy their optional pads. I've had it deploy twice when I've dropped the bike when virtually stopped and it worked great.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  10. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been looking into these for awhile and I am leaning towards one of the Hit Air products, they appear to provide better coverage than the Helite version.
  11. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a bad experience with a Hit Air. I had an off while stopping. Yes, I have an ST1100. After deployment, I sent it back to Crash Bounce, the seller, who was supposed to inspect it and send it back to me. They did, I thought, and I recharged it. A couple years later I had another dropping off. The CO2 cartridge went off, but the bag didn't deploy. I sent it to Hit Air for inspection, as Crash Bounce had gone out of business. They told me that the bladder was ruptured, and that it would have to be repaired or replaced at my expense. I rode with that vest for 2 years not knowing it was useless in a crash. Having owned both, the Helite appears to be more robustly constructed. It is heavier and physically larger. However, the Hit Air was physically smaller. That made it easier to wear and cooler in the summer. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
    WDG likes this.
  12. YourPal

YourPal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why did you send it in the first time for inspection? I thought that it was able to be rwpaxkwd after deployment?
  13. YourPal

YourPal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Repacked after deployment.
  14. StevieMac

StevieMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been wearing a hit air vest on the street and at the track for two years now. Two deployments at the track thus far and it worked as expected and was not damaged in either crash (both lowsides). I'm happy with my choice and don't want to ride without it. YYMV of course..

[​IMG]
  15. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to make sure the vest hadn't been damaged in the deployment. I repacked it successfully, because it went off, but the bladder had ruptured so it didn't inflate.
  16. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The airbag is easy to "inspect". I know...I've done it twice. :( Mine were simple things caused by braking hard to avoid a pedestrian who crossed in front of me, and a simple stall while turning on my first ride to work with my F800GT. In both cases, I just tucked the bag back in and reattached a new CO2 cannister. There's really not much to it.

It appears your issue wasn't so much with Hit-Air as it was with the vendor...who went out of business. Hmm...I wonder why he went out of business? Could it be for ineptitude?

Chris
  17. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess that is one way of looking at it. The other is that it should never have torn the bladder on just a parking lot fall.
  18. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Safermoto has had very responsive customer service regarding hit air vests. I'm sure they could answer any concerns you have.
  19. YourPal

YourPal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that I will go with the hit air vest. It looks like it will allow more air flow. I live in Florida so that is needed.
  20. twinotterdriver

twinotterdriver n00b

Oddometer:
    I pulled the semi rigid back protecter pad out of my Helite and replaced it with my hydration pack. My Klim jacket has D3O back pad. Helite customer service couldn’t recommend it but didn’t condem it either. Hydration works great, fit is a bit sloppy. I may have some back crash protection as the hydration bladder absorbs impact and fails before the Klim D3O takes over.