Airbag Vest, ATGATT's New Addition?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's an excellent review you made on the Ducati forum. I book marked it.

When I bought my Hit-Air vest, I looked at the Helite also. I really couldn't see any difference between the two vests, except in price.

The first time I deployed mine, I was riding a Honda NT700V. I had come up to a busy intersection and saw that the light had just turned green. If I made my right turn, I'd be ahead of all the traffic, so I went to pull out. Just as I did, I saw a teenager walk out into the crosswalk ahead of me. I hit the brake hard to keep from hitting him and went right over.

That Honda weighed at least 580 lbs. There was nothing gentle about the low speed fall for me. One second I'm grabbing the front brake. The next, I'm laying on the ground against the curb with the bike on top of me. As I laid there in the initial moments, I realized I was against the edge of the curb...but I felt comfortable. There was no pain. I should've at least bruised some ribs if not outright breaking them. I felt nothing...well, except my bruised ego for doing something stupid and dropping the bike. The point is, the air bag vest did its job perfectly. And after cleaning off the mud and putting in a new CO2 canister, it was as good as new.

That Hit-Air air bag vest has become so much a part of my normal riding gear that I feel strange when I'm not wearing it.
  2. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    ^^^ This. The bottom cocyxx?? portion pushes the Turtle vest up a little and supports the weight. Doesn't interfere with the inflation of the vest DAMHIK.
  3. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't want to come across harshly, but if the weight of any air bag vest causes you discomfort, it makes me wonder what kind of physical condition you're in.

The weight of the vest is spread across some wide straps over your shoulders and across your back and chest. If you're wearing a riding jacket, those themselves are heavy. And that spreads the weight out as well.
  4. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 main reasons I haven't bought a vest yet.

1. Blocks air vents
    2. Wearing a backpack over it

I can get over #1 easy enough as the safety is worth it. #2 though is tough. I always ride with a hydro 15L backpack so what happens when it inflates while wearing the pack?
  5. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tech air street is OK with an backpack, IIRC.
  6. dyg

dyg dyg it Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife an I have the Hit-Air. I leave it on top of my BMW AirShell - stays on so I don’t have to put on 2 pieces of clothing - just have to be careful putting the jacket on. The big difference is the back. The Hit-Air is open on the back and the Helite is closed. I have back armor in my jacket so no matter to me. Also, since I wear mesh, I think the Hit-Air may flow a little better with the back open. Lastly, I have worn for a year now in all kinds of weather conditions and I barely notice it. When off the bike, I keep my tether clip tucked into my tank bag so I don’t forget to clip up
    We just got back from a fabulous 12 day ride in South Island, NZ and numerous riders asked about it - they had not seen one. I got the impression that many of them will consider purchasing after answering questions about it and seeing it live. In the not too distant future, it will be a standard part of any serious rider’s kit. Heck, the insurance companies might even be motivated to give you a discount if you wear one. I also wear Kevlar long johns beneath my mesh pants. Having broken my collarbone on a track (I was wearing full leathers) four years ago, I decided I never wanted to go thru rehabbing that kind of injury again. Well worth the $500.
  7. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Castos

Castos Castos

Oddometer:
    I am using the turtle, At present I do not have any problems with and still use the protection plates of the jacket. I do not forsee myself buying the protection plates for the Turtle. My personal feeling as this is the way to go for motorcyclists for protection, as you cannot anticipate what all vehicles are going to do.
  9. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, the hit air is a very light open design. That coupled with the fact that you don't wear the vest strapped tight to the body makes me doubt there's very much blockage of airflow. This is my first season with it and in 80F weather there's no issue, and I don't foresee any in hotter weather.
    For me, the main thing was to convince myself to try it - once on, it was less intrusive than my neck brace and from a riding POV, it pretty much disappeared. Nice.