Airbox Mod

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Wilhelm, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Let's Play

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]This might sound stupid but what side must the Sommer airbox mod be fitted (LH or RH) - the next question I have is: If more air is good then why not both sides[​IMG]
  2. marc_ooh

marc_ooh n00b

Oddometer:
    hi,

sommer tested all versions: lh, rh and both sides. they had the best performance with the lh-version.
  3. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Let's Play

Oddometer:
    thanks[​IMG]
  4. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Let's Play

Oddometer:
    thanks[​IMG] - Is the "hole" in the cover then towards the front or the back of the bike[​IMG]
  5. marc_ooh

marc_ooh n00b

Oddometer:
    back... :wink:
  6. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    and by the way, you can do the mod yourself with a Dremel and avoid the cost/delay of having Sommer ship to you. I looked at their part after I got it and was sorta like, "shit, I coulda done that myself for FREE". Dremel, some screen material, and glue. It's obviously what they did!
  7. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea but its cool getting a pkg from europe
  8. Lil' Irv

Lil' Irv I can't shuddup

Oddometer:
    Free would be good, but I'd hate to start grinding holes randomly in my airbox. Anybody have any pictures of the mod?
  9. Daan

Daan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thinck thats why there's no pic from it on te sommer site!!!!

Once you have seen it, it's easy to duplicate!!!

But when you remove to much, its not good, and wenn you remove to less material, its not richt eather!!!!
    So why take anny risk!!!!

Daan!
  10. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    Here
  11. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    Would the airbox mod help on a 950 with stock cans? (w/Cats). My wallet allows for easy home mods but new cans are a few months out.
  12. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    I've got the stock cans, the Sommer airbox lid and the 16T sprocket. Super combination, although a couple of Akra's would probably improve things even further. But also with the stock cans the bike feels like it's breathing a lot better.

About the price tag at Sommer: remember that they've put a whole lot of time and effort into improving the bike. And that their mod is spot on. The 30 euros wouldn't buy you a whole lot of Dyno time...

BTW, I'll be travelling to Phoenix, AZ next august. How many should I bring?
  13. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Pee Bee bring one for me please
  14. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got bored one day so I took out the dremel and went to work. The screen is not as fine but I can double it up to fix that, I cleaned out all the rough moulding ridges left on the inside but then I found out Sommer doesn't do that. If it doesn't work no biggie only took 20 mins and 37 cents.

Attached Files:

15. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Let's Play

Oddometer:
    Been gone a few days [​IMG]- Anyway, I emailed Sommer and the answer is that they tried +-45 different things with the airbox (holes in different positions, different filters etc etc) but this little mod came out best. According to them the bike does not need more air and this mod is fitted on the left with the hole towards the back - this is apparently to get the air pressure right inside the airbox. I also have 16T sprocket but must still fit it and my cans are opened up by someone who knows what he's doind (result of the pipes are super - not quite as light as Akra's but 3.2kg less (1.6 each) than standard - they sound great & looks like a combo between Akra's & standard)

Hope this helps![​IMG]
  16. Veemax

Veemax Cape Town rocks!

Oddometer:
    Hi Wilhelm! The guy who knew what he was doing with your stock cans, can he tell the rest of us what he did? I'm thinking of opening up those babies too. To reclose with a weld as neat as KTM's OEM will be a challenge though!
  17. Daan

Daan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Veemax!

Here a pic off what came out off my cans, www.evamotor.nl rebuilt them for me, more info, sound and pics on the site.
    later he put on little pipes on the end for better sound and better looks!

It is not an easy job to do, he took out 5 kg of junk

Daan!

Attached Files:

18. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Let's Play

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'll get him to tell his story on the cans but as you say - If you can't weld then it is not going to look like anything (if other bikers are like me then this is not even negotiable).

Sometime next week then!
  19. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    Daan,

Strange to speak to a fellow Dutchie in English, but there's something I'm not clear about. I saw the Evamotor website and they say that the mufflers are changed into absorption dampers when the inside plumbing is removed.

As far as I know, all absorption mufflers have padding inside, that needs to be replaced when it wears out. That's why Akra's and the lot have rivets: drill the rivets, open the cans, replace the padding and put new rivets in.

I It seems your mufflers are welded shut again after the plumbing was removed... What will you do when the padding wears out? Or am I missing something?
  20. Daan

Daan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Pee Bee!

You mayby right about that, but Erik from EVA has used stainless steel padding for it,the better stuff, like they use in restaurants to keep the pans clean ,it seems that these less verry long!
    They have the shape like a dohnut, and are easy to schift around the inside muffler!
    A disadventige is that the steelpads are a bit heavy, and they seams to give a bit more heat to the outside, aldogh that dos'nt bother me!
    It all started as a experiment, now i have no burning ass annymore, great sound, and have not spend so menny money as i would spend for acra's.

Groet Daan!