Airbox Mod

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Wilhelm, Jun 22, 2004.

1. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, nice to have three of us Dutchies here. :D I really like experiments like EVA did. But I saw the result too and although personal, it didn't look to good IMO. Using stainless padding material is about is old as the Dutch TT. Like you say it's heavy and it doesn't damp nearly as good as padding designed for noise reduction either. Through the heating up and cooling down over time stainless hardens, gets crushed, burned and blown out as well. It might take a little longer although that remains to be seen too. Akra has developed the padding and design of their silencers (padding and heat tranfering gaze around the absorbtion pipe) really good. Sommer has a large number of customers with 15K and more KMs with the Akras and no one needs to repack them yet. That's excellent. :thumb

I think the padding thing is not that simple. If it was that good every exhaust manufacturer would use some sort of stainless padding and no one does.

Just my two cents... :wink:

My mate is going to open up his stock cans and convert them to absorbtion silencers too. We've made some sketches to make the end-caps (the stock end of the cans cut off) removable with flush allen bolts. We'll make the end-caps seal with a heat resistant rubber O ring as used on the KTM SXC silencer with a similar construction. Not easy to make but whe think it's the only way to do it. And it avoids nasty looking rewelding on the visible part of the cans. Should take a couple of weeks at least to finish this project though.
  2. Daan

Daan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you are probebly ride KTMax, wenn my cans are burnd out empty,
    i ask Erik to cut them open again, and repack them,
    but its not the ride way to do!!!

Or........ I buy ACRA'S :evil :nod
  3. Veemax

Veemax Cape Town rocks!

Oddometer:
    Haha I was thinking now of writing in Afrikaans to my Dutch friends, to really mix it up! Thanks for this very valuable info, I'll let you know how everything goes!

Totsiens van een mooie Kaapse winter oggend!