Airhead Cool - Heidelberg to Como via the Alps Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ridercam, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Ridercam

Ridercam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Island of Alameda, across from San Francisco
    This is how my journey began.

My name is Ted. I live in Alameda California. This great ride has been truly more than 24 years in the planning. It may have started before that but when I met my wife I told her... I am going to ride my own bike in Europe. She loved that I could say this and knew I meant if from the first time we met.

I am the original owner of this rare BMW 1983 R100CS (in 1985) which i bought while it was still in the crate after I had moved to San Francisco after getting out of the US Navy in confined position by top secret classification duty, the plethora of authority figures whom i rebelled in secret and then later under the financial truth of living as student, an artist and wide eyed youth living in the open San Francisco of the 1980s. It began when i would read those biker mags during those long days at sea & watch then later working the grave yards shifts in the city hotels which then enabled me to buy the bike while attending San Francisco city community college working toward my career goals. Buying this bike was a real stretch for me but then again... having something you want and love everyday like this bike, there is greater meaning. That meaning comes from those suffer to earn it know more about.

[​IMG]

I am a true airhead. I have been one of those who rode with the founders, spent camping cold nights in Death Valley and ridden to tech days that spread across the country. "Simple by Choice" I have ridden this bike all over the US and into Canada to places to see friends and family, to meet new folks and take photos which in context give meaning to our photograph of our history that come to mind. It remains nearly original except for those parts I replaced when I went down and totaled it on the Bay Bridge over 15 years ago. I could never let her stay that way and straightened her out as best I could and with the little funds i could place into her. Still, she is undoubtedly one of the finest motorcycles made in any era. More personally, the bike and I are connected in ways that is hard to separate. If there was ever a way to infuse one's soul into a bike, I think I have done it.

2. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    I'll be following along. I also have a bike in Heidelberg and will get to ride it in September.
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish I'm there now. Bike is in the same place you had yours.

Anyway, it will be August/September for me.

Cheers.
  4. Swilling

Swilling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome - leave San Fran on Friday - for Europe also. When do you leave?!
  5. Ridercam

Oddometer:
    So lets fast forward a bit. You guys and gals of ADVrider talked me into continuing on with my schemes and getting to the bucket is and finally I pulled the trigger!

My plan was flying from Oakland to Paris then taking the train on Thursday/Friday to Germany. In my plan I would get in late to Heidelberg, get my head straight and spend the morning prepping my old girl for the run. Depending on how it goes with my prep would mean which route to take or how much superslab i may need to run. I will be on my own for most of the time. I would catch up to my wife at night when in Northern Italy for a total of 3 or 4 nights otherwise I planned to be in the cheap hotels and hostels like the rest of the vagabond tourists who plague the Europe in the summer. I did budgeted 1200 euros for the road and lodging - i sure hopes that would be enough... I thought I may be able to stay in Switzerland one night with that kind of rate.

Here she is in santa barbara a day before I put her in the container in Los Angeles. She never has let me down and I don't think she will there either. Ill needed to do a value adjustment and battery charge. Hopefully I planned that things will be alright.

[​IMG]

No doubt you folks will be envious of this trip. I promise to share the highlights and set backs with you all as the days roll into it.

All I know is that I must be safe and in good spirits when I arrive in Brescia and then Como. The hotel on the lake for 2 nights is going to be fantastic. It turns out that I worked with the GM nearly 30 years ago in San Francisco. https://www.grandhoteltremezzo.com/en/home/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    staudio and KneeDrachen like this.
  6. Ridercam

Oddometer:
    i am a slow steady rider and know the limits of my rubber cow. I stop often and take photos or videos. I love great curves and and spectacular views. I tried make these the great roads into slow dances. there is more to seeing passes on a map in late may...

KneeDrachen likes this.
  7. Ridercam

Oddometer:
    Took my wife to airport as she headed for Slovinia for a business holiday (she works for an active luxury travel company)... the plan was to meet her while she was still on business next Monday here. [​IMG]

KneeDrachen likes this.
  8. Ridercam

Oddometer:
    I flew out for Paris from the Oakland airport direct. (Norwegian air is currently selling tickets for 500 round trip to Charles De Gaul from Oakland). My plan was to take a regional fast train to Heidelberg arriving at 10:45, staying at Stefan's motorcycle related BNB and getting a late start in the morning with a slow attempt to Innsbruck, Austria along some river riding and secondary 2 lane roads. Although the distance didn't seem big like in The US - riding times there are kinda hard for this iron butt rider who wants to smell the roses. If there was to be rain - I though I might of made the move to run a little faster. It was hard for me to judge if was be too ambitious. I guess would find out how different things are. And I learned a whole lot in those upcoming hours.

[​IMG]
    TakSD, staudio and KneeDrachen like this.
  9. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    DavidM1 likes this.
  10. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    15 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    Have some neighbors that fly back to Finland and another couple that fly to Sweden often. Heard good things (price wise) about Norwegian Air....$500 round trip from Oakland to France sounds like a pretty good deal....look forward to the rest of your report.
    KneeDrachen likes this.