Airhead exhaust nut alternative installed.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Kokopelli, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Ekke

Ekke RTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No kidding that's a great price. Bob's BMW charges $125 and I was quoted much more locally here in Canadian dollars. For me, it would be cheaper to get these units and as a bonus not have to worry about it every again. Plus I'd be ready for Australia and the country's well known reputation as a consumer of exhaust threads...
  2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    The exhaust clamps come from Germany not Australia or NZ. According to Google they would cost US $114 including shipping.

Did you have to take the head off to make the repair? The local guy has also made a die and uses the same technique, for me the clamps worked out to half the cost of the repair. I would have still have had buy two replacement exhaust nuts. I may still have the threads repaired in the future, but that would not stop me from continued use of the clamps.
  3. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    A nice, elegant solution, even if you do lose some of the (largely theoretical) cooling around the exhaust port from the finned clamps. The threads on my 85 are perfect and I have never had to remove the exhausts on the road but if I did.... well these would save me a lot of grief because I don't lug that heavy exhaust wrench around with me.
  4. GCCR

GCCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all! Looks like the clamp is the way to go. In the future, I'll definitely cut them off. Sucks too, because I just read something about that, but I thought some pbr would do the trick. Doh!:wink:
  5. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:
    Soooo is it bad if I can spin the nuts off with my hand? I don't have any exhaust leaks, and there is a liberal coat of antiseize involved.
  6. GCCR

GCCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you tell me who you used in Oregon? I've heard about a guy located there that does very good work at a reasonable cost.

Thanks,

Dan
  7. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    You might want to remove when those bolt threads strip. Remember, they are still exhaust bolts and exhaust bolts strip threads too. At least I have seen it happen on many a setup with bolts holding the exhaust on.
  8. black knight

black knight Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer: