Airhead Exhaust Threads: Alternate Repair

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Lornce, Jun 5, 2007.

1. shawn

shawn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine came today! possibly the most damaged threads they have been used on yet???:D
    Only put it on to try it so its only finger tight! You can see it will do the job though:clap
    [​IMG]
  2. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    looks promising! what will you use to seal the cracked areas?
  3. shawn

shawn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I may get them welded in yet, depends on my mate getting access to aluminium welding gear. I can weld aluminium but I'm in the same situation:D BUT when you consider how far the exhaust pipes go in I think I could get away just clamping it. Given:D that I'm fitting reverse cone megas I don't think the noise will be an issue:D
  4. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    i'd seal that off if i were you. you wouldn't want to have any air leaks there, resulting in backfiring and leaning-out of your mixtures (add to that the difficulty of tuning the carbs).
  5. Ekke

Ekke RTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put Walter's exhaust nuts on my '89 R100GS over the winter when one of my exhaust threads was damaged. They worked perfectly but I think the nicest thing is that I can use an allen key to remove the exhaust now. That's nice when on the road...

By the way, Moneybookers worked just fine.
  6. Zebedee

Zebedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... a quick bump for Walter's exhaust nut adapters :thumb

I didn't have any problem getting through to Walter by email, and he always replied to my questions promptly. Also, I didn't have a Moneybookers account and didn't fancy setting one up but Walter was happy to accept Paypal.

The only minor issue I've had is that it took 3 days from posting for the adapters in the father-land to them arriving in Oz and then another 17 days to traverse the land down under ... go figure :huh

Good communication, quality product ... delivery within Oz via Pony "express"

Have a good 'un

John
  7. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    How in the hell did that happen? Was anyone hurt?
    That will leak like crazy. and may cause further problems down the road/ keep in mind that the compression ring and seal ring are being drawn up to the face to seal exhaust. don't want to burn a valve.
    RV
  8. shawn

shawn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :D Got it welded as well in the end:D
    Inside and out!:D
  9. apt13

apt13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry to dig up an old thread, but i just installed one of these doo-hickeys and it worked like a charm. had to cut off my old finned nuts and looked like a previous owner basically glued them on with some kind of adhesive as there were barely any threads there once i got them off. researched around about getting new threads cut in and stumbled across this easy fix. for around $120 i'm back up and running, although they do look a little "odd." maybe someday when i do a restoration i'll get them properly fixed and new threads cut.

anyway, ordered them from the UK and they were at my door within a week. http://www.motorworks.co.uk

and they also make a "finned" version now, but i didn't want to pay the extra money for them.

just wanted to bump this back up from the depths and leave my positive thumbs up to the original creator of them:

https://www.sternmutterersatz.de/index.php?page=exhaust-nut-repair
    Lornce, franko58 and Kokopelli like this.