Airhead Flea Market Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bone13, Jun 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Charlie, I think you have taken a direction of thought from my post that is not consistent with its intent. You may also be making assumptions about me personally that could also be incorrect. Since this topic has strayed far from a fleamarket discussion and far too close to a CSM topic, feel free to continue to engage me in the conversation directly. Don't feel obligated either way.
    Disston likes this.
  2. TommyCareless

TommyCareless Break Down Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    I came for the airheads, but I stayed for… well, whatever the hell this is.
    ~T
    Uke, Jim K in PA and Disston like this.
  3. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jim is right. I have a tendency to get way off topic. I can be found regularly in CSM.
    spo123 and infinityedge like this.
  4. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't go there. It makes me hate people I don't know.
  5. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    What is an airhead flea market if not a garage sale for the soul? This is as good a place as any to chat about personal upgrades :-)
    hunterkey, Uke, korinthias and 3 others like this.
  6. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    no. do not chat in the flea market. read the whole first page of that thread like it says. this thread was created for flea market related chat.

my bike is a machine, nothing more. it is not my wife, girlfriend, mistress or soul.
    Andrew likes this.
  7. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the interest of clarity. the ABC and Airmail are and entirely different groups from the email only Airlist. I have never seen any email posts from B Jan on Airlist nor do I recall when I was still a member any contributions from Tom Cutter in Airmail.

If there are any email contributions I don't like or are otherwise irrelevant to me, such as removing a /5 horn, I delete without ever opening regardless of the sender.

If anyone here besides me is an Airlist member, no doubt you already know how email works as well as the delete function with your email.

To capsulize all this, Airlist is free and only via email and ABC is by paid membership and provides Airmail through the US Postal Service.

8. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Honestly, what would we do without your expert guidance!

Thanks Plaka.

PS - it's also sad that your machine is merely transportation. Mine doubles as a therapist!
    hunterkey, Plaka, Uke and 1 other person like this.
  9. Disston

Oddometer:
    Discussion implies that we ramble on and sometimes get off topic. One man's off topic is another man's nuance.

Thanks Uke. Remember that time a few years ago when those of us that had one were posting our ABC numbers? Didn't last.
  10. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Clarity appreciated.

Oak is the crossover. I think when he left the airlist he went to the ABC. He had some connection with them. They are still publishing his old stuff. Some is good, some is garbage, his arrogance permeates it all and ABC has no one to sort it out. I was thinking of writing some letters to the editor with corrections then decided not to waste my time. I did ask some mucky-much at ABC about the numbers thing and got a strait answer----it's a status thing. and this in a group that supposedly eschews status things. it was something i always suspected and one reason i always avoided them. but I am currently a member and frankly I am embarrassed and ashamed of that. renewal for me is next month and I will be putting the money elsewhere. at least I can say I gave them an honest chance rather than continuing to prejudge them.
  11. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your appreciation and taking the time to express it!

I am always try to contribute my expertise to the forum. not that I always get it right but I try pretty hard.

My machine is a toy. I go out and play on it for fun. When I want a therapist i go pay $200 an hour for a real one. My minivan, ol' wreckin' ball, is transportation.
    sprouty115 and Uke like this.
  12. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Again, just for the sake of clarity,

I've been a member of Airlist for ~7 years. I don't ever recall an email to the list from Oak.

The man has been dead for how long? It's difficult to argue with a dead man.

I suspect Airmail replays his columns due to the lack of another "technical expert" and perhaps due to the fact he was a known to many Airmail readers.

13. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was on airlist way back. I left because of Oak. Then I have heard he left because he was getting a lot of flack. Yes many airlist readers knew him, and many left because of him. Yes the ABC has no other tech. resource although they are reproducing snowbums stuff and I have heard they will eventually have all of it making it all members only thus my having my own copy. Oak was very knowledgeable and I have a lot of respect for his diagnostic ability. But he considered himself gods gift and when you get it wrong that is not good. He was also a bully. On airmail he is not really interacting with anyone so he cannot bully anyone. But he still gets it wrong; sometimes innocently because things have changed after his death sometime out of his ignorance.
  14. Disston

Oddometer:
    Oak was on the Airlist about 15 years ago. He left after about a year, maybe a year and a half.

Oak worked in design engineering and consulted with manufacturers, including BMW, on machine design. I'm pretty sure about this but I could be wrong.

It probably says something about his impact if he is still controversial 4 or 5 years after his death.
    Uke and Andrew like this.
  15. arbalest

arbalest Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the way I think about my car. My only requirements for a car is that it gets me reliably where I need to go in relative comfort. When I am driving in my car I listen to the radio. When I am driving my sidecar rig, the only music I want to hear is produced by the road, the wind and the motorcycle. My motorcycle is not just a machine (except when it needs service). It is the vehicle that takes me to my happy place.
    Uke, UnclePete, Disston and 4 others like this.
  16. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with you on that. Although my pickup trucks and AWD Subarus have taken me to some happy places in the past, but much less often than the bikes.
    Uke likes this.
  17. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if Roland created a new parts website after fototime went down?
  18. TommyCareless

TommyCareless Break Down Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    I just emailed him and he got back to me with pics of what I was looking for.
    Need his email ?
    ~T
  19. hunterkey

hunterkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No new website. I reached out a few months ago to check in, and he still has a lot of inventory and is still selling though.
  20. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    Lately on the air list Tom or snobum will list page on his extensive web & our friend from Vermont will chip in as Bud & Tom are actually in the business usually have experience can help the errant mechanic.
    I forgot to reup for Airmail & just opted out of air list as I do not have time to see all the mistakes everyone is making.
    It would seem if you are only doing airhead bmw’s fine but I work on many different vehicles as I cannot tie myself down to one type of transportation.
    It is more to do wilth being challenged & being able to fix whatever it is then ride or drive without danger of harming oneself or another.