Airhead Flea Market Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bone13, Jun 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Steamdonkey

Steamdonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent info, MP. Thank you.
  2. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    "The bottom of the oil pickup is about .625" above the bottom of the sump, and you can clearly see the spacer in the oil pickup."

Oil Pickup.JPG
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  3. Steamdonkey

Steamdonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Uke. I saw one of those on Anton’s site, too. Appreciate the photo.
  4. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    WRT to the Baja bikes, have a look at all of those Matt Parkhouse articles in the ON magazine about the modifications he did to prepare their airheads for Mexico, which they travel to every year.
  5. Steamdonkey

Steamdonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Disston. Do you (or anyone reading) know if the 93 GS oil pan I’ve just bought from Re-Psycle will interfere with my 74 stock centre stand? Does the extra 1/2” of depth on the NTM pan hit the stand (or vice versa)? Thanks.

And what was all that talk about “windage”? Air resistance? Something internal? My endless questions? Ta
  6. Steamdonkey

Steamdonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And more good stuff here, Ron.
    Uke likes this.
  7. Ronkan

Ronkan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful job he did in making the bash plate. My metalworking skills are more on the level of a flattened beer can.
    I keep tubes of JB weld in my traveling tool kit. That and some extra oil will have to do for the time being.
    Steamdonkey likes this.
  8. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if the center stand will hit. Maybe the info is on the manufacturers page.

Windage in an engine when used in this context is the rotating crankshaft mixing with the oil. The oil in the pan is an impediment to the cranks spinning. If you can lower the level of the oil the crank is pushing less oil out of it's way and the engine becomes more efficient. The extreme of this is a dry sump system that removes the oil from the pan immediately and pumps it thru a cooler back to the pressurized system to lube the parts.

In addition to trying to keep the oil away from the crank you can build sweepers or sheets of metal that are set to come very close to the spinning crank. The crank has oil clinging to it because the rods shoot out their oil all over and the rest of the pressurized oil is splashing around inside until it falls below into the pan. This oil clinging to the crank does not help it do it's job. The sweepers help get the oil where it belongs in the pan instead of on the crank. (forget the proper term used for what I have called "sweepers")

A reduction of windage in the pan can lead to significant gains in power. It is not a maybe, all race engines do it.
    spo123 likes this.
  9. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    the oil is always at the same temperature. I am not guessing, theorizing or pulling it out of my butt. I've measured it.

froth, if any, floats. ever seen a band of froth on your dipstick?
  10. Steamdonkey

Steamdonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah ha. Thanks, Disston. Windage as in something winding, not as in moving air. Thanks for the lesson.
  11. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    Thanks, no. I just exchanged some notes with him last night. He's well-known to the point where he is just taking requests via email.
  12. BigWally

BigWally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking about trying out K75S bars on an R100RS. Observations welcome.
  13. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had K75S bars on an RS back in the late 1990's. Pretty sure I didn't have to buy new cables nor lines.

Loved the bars, hated the look with no dashpad
  14. BigWally

Oddometer:
    I remove the dash pad to expose bar space for Ram mounting my phone/gps anyway so that’s not an issue for me.
    Glad to hear existing cables & lines will still work.
  15. radmeister

radmeister Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-7-26_19-36-14.jpeg
    i have k75s bars on my 77 r100rs and i like them. the bars are a bit higher and a bit further back than stock and therefor for me, the ride is easier on my back and my wrists. i did not have to change any cables. i dont mind the loss of the dashpad because i usually have a gps mounted on that ram ball in the photo and it takes up enough space to "fill the gap."
  16. BigWally

Oddometer:
    Yeah that bit of low back and wrist posture relief is what I’m after. My 90S appears to have K75S bars on it so maybe I should buy an S bar to restore it to stock (and restore its regular cable routing as well) and move the K75S bars over to the RS..,
  17. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Matt had this deal going year after rear. He would get some old /5, get it tops mechanically, put on his 'Mexico' bodywork that I made for him, send the body work that as on it in for paint. Do Mexico on the new Mexico bike. When he got back the body work was done, swapped that back on so it looked terrific then sell it and make enough to pay for the trip.
  18. numskull

numskull n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all. I am searching for a later R60/6 carb part. I have checked with Larry in Austin, Roland in NH and they dont have it. The part is obsolete at all the dealers. Does anyone happen to have one of these?

carb.jpg
  19. jagarra

jagarra Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. numskull

numskull n00b

Oddometer: