Airhead Flea Market Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bone13, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    lot of stone chips in the paint t that mileage. Some people use the rear brake a lot, some very little, boots vary, etc.
    spo123 likes this.
  2. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    The brake lever check isn’t a perfect system, but it’s worth looking at it. A 24k mi bike with a worn lever isn’t a 24k mi bike. A 24k mi bike with a fresh lever isn’t a guaranteed low mile bike. So keep looking for other signs.
    spo123 likes this.
  3. Plaka

Oddometer:
    There are some slightly more technical things to look at. Like if the speedo ratio matches the rear end ratio. often an ebay speedo won't.
    cantupshift likes this.
  4. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. I just meant that looking at the brake lever is a great place to start. If it IS worn you know the odometer rolled at least once, so proceed expecting that it’s got a lot of miles. If it’s new looking, check something else to confirm that it’s either a low mile bike... or that it’s a new lever.

Bottom line: it’s not the silver bullet some folks think it is. however, it’s a REALY easy thing to check that helps determine what you should check next.
    spo123 and cantupshift like this.
  5. Plaka

Oddometer:

Grabbing the clutch lever at the bars and wiggling it up an down is worth something. If it was well maintained, all will be well regardless of mileage. If it wasn't, and the miles are high, it will have worn away and will be sloppy up and down.

Peeking at the speedo cam gear is another good indication. You can tell if they are worn because the twistgrip will be sloppy twisting it and in and out.

You back in town?
  6. sunlinden

sunlinden David

Oddometer:
    I'd be very dubious about the mileage, especially without any sort of maintenance history. These header pipes look nasty for a low mileage bike. My R100 has 25K and the pipes are still a bit shiny. If it has 24K miles, then it most likely is on it's second set of tires which should be close to worn out. Look at the rims to see if there are a lot of tire chance marks (although if changed on a machine, you would see none). Also, I think tires are dated. See if you can find out the date on the tires. You can also look at the back of the speedometer where the cable attaches. Look for indications on the knurled coupling. They are sometimes difficult to remove and pliers are often used, leaving marks.

David
  7. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I am PM inbound.
  8. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    These thing always seem to implode & basically cost in fixes what you paid for it.
    Don't be taken by attractive as it is close?
    Sounds like it was left outside, there are other bikes out there unless this is exact model you want then?
    That is a choice or not.
  9. Retumbo7

Retumbo7 Engineer

Oddometer:
    I think attractive is a stretch - really all it has going for it is close. Possibly checking out an R100GS-PD for more coin but appears to be much more well maintained.
  10. tradern

tradern One wheel

Oddometer:
    My esteemed horizontally opposed sisters and brothers.

How much is a mint harmonizer worth these days?

Any advice most humbly appreciated.

Neil

PS, I have a slew of 247 of special tools available in the Australian market place. $250aud shipped to most beautiful places around the world.
  11. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you guys out of the airhead business altogether now? Sorry if I missed important posts relative to this. I see your travel blog has not been updated in 7 years or so.
  12. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI, this the final availability of new Harmonizers as offered by Grok's daughter after his death.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/harmonizer-multi-tool.1327370/

tradern likes this.
  13. tradern

tradern One wheel

Oddometer:
    Howdy Jim,

I still have the original Rooney Race Bike but it is for sale :(

Difficulty with the ex (she is on the orange bike) has left me no options. Same old default system that many a man has endured before me...

The blog is certainly a blast of goodness from the past. They where certainly better times.

Thanks Uke, shall do more research.
  14. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I have seen a good condition Harmonizer for sale for the $300 price plus shipping in the last year. I believe that was here but could have been EBay. It should sell at that price, there aren't any more new ones for seen for the future.
    Uke and tradern like this.
  15. tradern

tradern One wheel

Oddometer:
    My thanks for all the help. Best bunch on ADV.

Being a nice guy (occasionally), it's been listed at $250AUD on the flea market (Australian forum).

If anyone around the globe is interested I can get a postage quote for you ($250AUD plus postage). Probably about 30-50AUD to USA.

Cheerio,

Neil

PS. Shameless plug, about 7 or so 800/1000cc and 6x450/650cc Hardheads left. I've a few pre-loved sets I'm happy to let go at up to 50% off depending on condition. Used guards are still very serviceable.

IMG_20190322_214550~2.jpg
    Uke likes this.
  16. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    I notice a lot of stuff you put up for sale here is priced very high. This one looks like you are basing your price on BMW OEM for a new muffler ($999) which is nothing short of outrageous however you should be aware that Keihan Systems in the UK makes these in stainless and they are a big improvement on the BMW OEM one. They cost $320 CANADIAN dollars so you can knock almost 40% off THAT price in today's dollars.
    spo123, Carott, lucky6600 and 2 others like this.
  17. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Who makes a bike look that rough in 24k miles? :dunno $1500. Tops.

Yeah, who is this guy with the pricey parts and a post count of 4?

Didn't they institute a rule in flea market that you had to have a minimum number of posts to indicate you were actually part of the ADV community before you could flog your wares?

:dunno
    lucky6600 likes this.
  18. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When he came up couple weeks ago, I had same concerns but I still bought couple sale catalogs from him. They arrived as he described. At the point, his thread counts was zero.
    He has bunch of good stuff and sold bunch of them. After he sold, he deleted the post.
    He sure knows what he is doing and sure know his price sometimes.
    Lornce likes this.
  19. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    An inmate who only posts to flea market threads, and who deletes their posts after sales, will probably have a very low post count.
  20. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    What purpose does deleting threads serve?
    Is this something we shoud all be doing?
    Seems to me that deleting threads diminishes the purpose of our forum. I've looked up historic threads numerous times in the past for reference and information.