Airhead Flea Market Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bone13, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Goomicoo

Goomicoo Rubber Cow

Oddometer:
    Do you need the type that uses the skid pad?
  2. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:

That’s what I’m looking for. I have a stock r75 pan and a Mac +2 pan. I’m open to trading either one of those or both for the right pan.
  3. Goomicoo

Goomicoo Rubber Cow

Oddometer:
    I have a pan off a '83 R80ST. It's a deep pan but does not have provisions for a skid plate.
  4. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
  6. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I paid 3,000.00 for my Mystic, and promptly invested close to another 1,000.00 to catch up all of the maintenance, so his price is in line with that.
  7. arbalest

arbalest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son and I have bought a lot of airhead parts, including two barn find /5 bikes. One is a 73 LWB, the other is a 70 SWB. We bought these to break. On closer inspection, the 70 SWB bike may be somewhat special. The build date is 10/69. According to the vin, it is one of the first 500 R60/5's manufactured. As such, we are hesitant to break it. It looks like it is early enough to have used a /2 headlight shell. It does not have the blinker indicator on the headlight shell. It has reflectors on the aluminum blinkers. We are thinking of offering the bike as is, as a barn find /5 project bike. It is a toaster tank (1 small dent), toaster panels in pretty good shape. Seat is good shape. Headlight bucket and instruments look good. Motor turns free. Bike has 33,xxx miles on it. Any idea what the value might be? We just got it home. Pictures will follow later.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  8. arbalest

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention, both bikes are R60/5's.
  9. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    You know, that request seems a little rude to me. When you go to the grocery store do They ask you what they should sell the food for? You are in the business of buying and breakig bikes to make money (a profit) from people. Be a professional and figure out the market yourself.
  10. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Since the earliest /5 bikes did not have toaster tanks it leads me to wonder what else is not correct.

We get constantly asked to value bikes and parts. It's tiring. I don't think people are trying to be offensive but.....

It's not a collectable sort of thing, this one of the first? We had this issue raised once before and it was decided that since it wasn't The First, being one of the first was not a big deal.

Good luck with it.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  11. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As Disston suggests, the toaster wasn't available until model year 72 so not original to the bike. The 70 and 71 /5's only came with 24L touring tanks. The early 70 bikes also came without the indicator lamp in the headlight shell so that may be original.

Even if it was all original, the first model year of anything is rarely the most desirable. The last in a series usually has more value as you "won't be able to get it anymore." That's why the 73 tends to hold it's value over other years in the series. Not only was it the last of the /5's but it was also a transition year with the SWB to LWB. Early production 73's have appeal to the SWB enthusiasts and the later production ones appeal to others. Yours are also R60's which is the middle of the range and uses slide carbs. Most felt these were underpowered (although they also have their following). The 750's tend to hold value better.

As others have said, the valuation question gets a little tired. You've picked it up with the intention of turning a profit. The value of any bike is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Sounds like it has been neglected in a barn so it's current "value" is whatever you and your son paid for it. I'd start there.
    raywilson likes this.
  12. arbalest

Oddometer:
    Disston, I will have photos in the next couple of days. I am not a purist. If you are, oh well. I think it is a cool bike and unique enough that I think it would be a shame to break it. Maybe others might feel the same way.
  13. arbalest

Oddometer:
    Well, sorry if I pi$$ed in your Wheaties by asking what the value might be. I am not a /5 guy. If I sell this as a project, I would like to ask a fair price, and not get the "this guy must be smokin' crack" comments about the price. I also would not like to get the "that fool gave that thing away". There is somewhere in the middle that is reasonable. Or, if as a couple of you have hinted, that since someone changed the tank out (this bike did actually come with the big /5 tank, the PO traded for the toaster), and it's only an R60 it must only be good to turn into scrap to make Toyotas, then I'll just break it. Just seems a shame.
  14. arbalest

Oddometer:
    Oh, the other bike is a 73 LWB /5. Just not as complete as the 70.
  15. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally fair to ask about value in my opinion.

Plaka may have another opinion but as I have heard for years opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink
    ozmoses and R100PDave like this.
  16. 2WheelTraveler

2WheelTraveler backinthesaddleagain Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are way too many variables to even make an educated guess.
    I say list them and let the market decide.
    I must say I'm not a fan of parting out bikes.
  17. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Post up photos and info on the bikes here. I have no problem taking a shot at value, at least for these parts, and I'm pretty sure others will chime in. Maybe an inmate will get a good deal on needed parts. Don't let know-it-alls fuck with you.
    The biggest negative with parting out, in my experience, is that it takes a lot of time to do it right.
    aptbldr and spo123 like this.
  18. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the benefits of the airheads (versus comparable vintage brit or japenese bikes) is that the manufacturer still supports them with parts availability. Yes, there are many parts that are NLA or have been superceded with a later-year, non-identical part but many of the parts are still available from the mothership. Yes, I understand there is a cost equation too but the eBay method of part outs is getting hard to afford too. YMMV
    Texer likes this.
  19. arbalest

Oddometer:
    Ebay takes about 13%. Makes selling tough.
  20. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what sparked the snark, but the question is reasonable. IMHO.

There is an eBay listing for an early /5, S/N 0036 (10/69 build), in similar non-original, not great shape. It's been sitting there with a BIN price of $1650.00 for a while. I'd say it's priced a bit high, and is probably a $1k bike. Yours is probably the same. Location/condition influences price more than "rarity" for this particular example.

Yep, worth more in parts most likely, but I would look to home it to someone that will get it back on the road whole, same as you. If the eBay one were closer, I'd throw an offer on it. Oh, and it's an R75, not a slug(60).