Airhead Flea Market Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bone13, Jun 12, 2013.

1. arbalest

arbalest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim, a headlight with speedo recently sold on Ebay for $415. Doesn't seem right to sell the rest of the bike for $585. It looks like breaking is the more economical solution.
  2. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    If maximizing profit is your goal, no doubt breaking it out is your route.
    ozmoses likes this.
  3. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's only a fair analysis if your headlight shell is in the same condition as the one that sold. The one that sold for $415 was complete and in "very good" condition which based on pictures I would agree - no dents or chips in paint no evidence of rust and it included the Speedo/Tach (in need of repair), ignition plate and wiring harness that despite age looked to be unmolested. In my opinion from keeping an eye on headlight shells for a /5 is the top of the stack. There was a NOS one a while ago that was just the shell and it went for roughly the same price as a BIN. Keep in mind he could have further broke that down and probably gotten more in terms of the parts -- ignition plate ($100), headlight shell ($200), Speedo/tach ($100), harness ($50), misc relays/bulbs etc ($25). Most of the headlight shells are in need of some level of refurb/repaint and sell for less than half of that one. You have not shared any pictures nor provided any insight into the condition of your barn finds other than neglected and "nearly complete".

Without question the part out is the way to "maximize profit" if you only measure the costs in terms of the bike itself. If you factor in your time to deal with multiple buyers and potentially multiple shipments then those can greatly decrease your profit margin. Additionally, you have to factor in what to do with the stuff that doesn't sell. How long do you store it waiting for that ideal customer to happen along? Or do you just incur disposal costs which further erodes profitability?
    lucky6600 and Jim K in PA like this.
  4. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    To sell the parts is a lot of work I did that once twenty years ago when these bikes were more used everyday.
    You will have a harder time getting rid of all parts some you can sell five others will just not move.
    & yes as mentioned to sell whole bike above what it will sell for does not work either.
    ozmoses likes this.
  5. Cycle Goon

Cycle Goon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can not comment on parting out a bike, but, if it is at all like parting out a car, I would rather have AIDS.
    You get the fools that say "I NEED such and such part." Tell them the price, condition, and when you'll have it boxed up. They agree to it. Then, they vanish like a fart in the wind. Or, you get the clowns asking for a $50 part that will render the whole car immovable/useless
    mike54 likes this.
  6. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still :csm,huh ?
  7. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or, if you purchased low enough, wait another several years and see what the market brings.
  8. atlthrux

atlthrux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What would these be worth? Two /2 wheels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rusty. I don’t think people are looking for beater /2 wheels, so I guess it’s what are the hubs worth?
    Is that just light superficial corrosion on the drums’ braking surface, or worse?
  10. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have a /2, my guess it’s restored or in the process, so you want nice. The rust on these rims is not good, and not being able to assess the degree of rust inside the rims, also not good.
  11. Manks

Manks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only one decent cover, rusted drums, rusted spokes, mystery bearing condition, tire disposal fees......50 bucks?
  12. airheadPete

Oddometer:
    Cut the spokes. Throw the rims & tires away, and see if the drum’s braking surface cleans up at all.
    I think that’s where you’re at. :(:
  13. atlthrux

Oddometer:
    What would be a reasonable asking price for an unused speedo? Er maybe it was used for a mile. (I could throw in some /2 hubs)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    globalt38 likes this.
  14. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    the picture is not clear (or it's my eyes". What is the w= number?
  15. atlthrux

Oddometer:
    w = 1.244

16. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Roland Robitaille.

A breaker.

He's the new LamontSanfurd from ebay airhead glory days....
  17. airheadPete

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...

What rear end is that appropriate for?
  18. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    snowbum has a table....
    PaulBarton likes this.
  19. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have only had an airhead about 6 months and getting parts from vendors is the only thing that has been a hassle. Tried a few different ones with Bobs BMW being the best so far.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  20. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a thread for recommended vendors? If not, maybe I should start one?

Edit to add, I realize many of the regulars know so much about these bikes that suppliers are already sourced, but it might be helpful to some of us that are new to airhead?
    akskyhawk, PrairieMan and WRC51 like this.