Airhead Flea Market Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bone13, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    there are a lot of good vendors. bob henig is a dealer.Capitol Cycle is the old stndbye.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Capitol Cycle has been under newer ownership and management several times over the last 35 years. Those of us that have been around long enough remember when CC was the only alternative to your local dealer.

Tom Trang (Tommy to some) does not work at CC anymore.
    WRC51 and Steve W. like this.
  3. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    With Ozzies BMW so close to you up in Chico CA I'd give them a try. Not sure how they do with parts delivery but if it is anything even close to their on site service I'd try them. I live in Vancouver BC and if I need work done on any of my BMWs that can wait I save that work for Ozzie's to do on my way to the 49er every spring.
    WRC51 likes this.
  4. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really?!

I have had great luck with a variety of vendors (Hucky’s, Capital Cycle, Max’s, Rubber Chicken Racing Garage, local dealer). One of the great things about airhead ownership is that you can still source parts for them both new and used. The manufacturer still stocks and produces parts for them. Of course you have to take into account planning for repairs as most of the ones listed aren’t Amazon Prime level delivery but usually you can order Monday and be able to perform the repair/maintenance by the weekend.

The shipping on small parts orders from Max can be a deal breaker that’s not worth the m&m’s (are they still doing that?). I’ve had good luck with all those I’ve listed.

I’ve also used SMeyer and Motobins. You definitely have to plan travel time on those but both are excellent sources.
    Texer and WRC51 like this.
  5. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Max ships free for standard delivery (3 - 5 days) in continental US...
  6. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s been a while since I’ve ordered from max but I did just check on small parts ($3 item) and it is free US shipping for 3-5 days. I used to have to pay $6-$11 for small parts so I would try and wait for a larger order or just go to my local dealer who can order it and I pick up a couple of days later.

What about m&m’s? My kids used to argue over who got them every time a box showed up at the door.

edit: thankfully my delivery frequency has slowed dramatically and my kids have gotten older. Every now and then when a small box arrives my teenage son still asks "Any M&M's?"
    SmittyBlackstone and WRC51 like this.
  7. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    A&S Cycles has been pretty good and quick for OEM parts also.
    WRC51 likes this.
  8. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great info in this thread guys, I have written down all of the vendor/dealers and will check them out....Thanks.
  9. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Are you looking for bar end weights or anti-vibration inserts? The only anti-vibration inserts I am aware of are from Fasst and HDB (Highway Dirt Bikes) and they won't fit a thin wall handlebar (need 14mm ID). Vibranator used to make some that might have worked, but they are defunct. Fasst does make some adapters, but it isn't clear from their literature if any would work for you. You could contact their support folks.

As for bar end weights, HVMP makes some nice, heavy SS weights. Again, you would need to contact them for fitment on your bar.

Other options might include a Barsnake, or you could make your own weights that would fit inside the bar. I might try tapping the inside the bar ends to 5/8-11 and then running some steel or SS set screws into the bar end. I'd definitely use epoxy or Loctite to hold them as there won't be much thread surface to hold. Or you could try and find some 15mm brass rod and cut chunks to insert. I'd drill thru the bar and brass and use a roll pin to hold them in place.

I have the Vibranator Adventure inserts and they did make some difference on my thumper. But as for "tuned" anti-vibration inserts making a huge difference, I'm not convinced they are any better than just adding mass. Mass is a mechanical low-pass filter.

Hope I gave you some useful directions to look.
  10. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    i would just fix the bike so it does not vibrate so much. an airhead should not need bar end weights.
  11. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Luftmeister used to sell these... you might find some out there on eBay or through IMBWR, Joshua Buck, Roland, Stoner, etc.

[​IMG]
  12. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    HVMP tells me they have the weights for an ID of 14 to 16mm. With shipping, about a hundred bucks.
    They seem to offer the best solution.
    I thought the Mystics came with bar end weights but have yet to confirm that.
    HDB is located not far from me.
  13. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    I really like the HDB threaded inserts (for 14mm ID bars) but they fact that wanted $10.75 shipping on a $10.50 part (at that time) killed the deal for me.
    The HVMP bar ends look well finished.
  14. Tiggum

Tiggum Retired

Oddometer:
    Thanks; the images came through fine. This is very promising, but I wonder: if these were made for a Goldwing (and I looked; it's the 80-84 GL1100) might they be too heavily sprung for a little R65? Secondly, can you tell me the internal diameter of the "eye"; I will go dismount one of my Boge shocks and see what is the diameter of the post.

I certainly that this can be made to work. By the way, this backing and frothing through Advrider is a pain. Please respond to janet.martin2010@comcast.net or you may call me at 615-557-8385.

Appreciate your effort, Tom Martin
  15. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Hey Jenna, maybe send a PM to @deafanddiabetic , I know that he got a few R100 engines with a recent parts lot acquisition.
    deafanddiabetic and hardwaregrrl like this.
  16. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
  17. folmonty

folmonty twins make perfect moto music Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone see the two air heads listed in the flee market last weekend? My heart skipped a beat. Both just over 2K and in running condition. As is the case, when going back to look again they're gone...... Looked like they were on a farm somewhere in the mid-west. Snooze ya loose!
    lucky6600 likes this.
  18. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    sprouty that bracket on my bike is welded to the frame and it looks factory 1976 R90, I will try to get a photo for you
    sprouty115 likes this.
  19. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK sprouty115 I was wrong ...again. Mine is also bolted to a bracket on the frame, the ball stud for the damper is the bolt if that makes sense. It was the other side of the frame I was thinking about, it is welded to the frame and used if you have dual disks I think. IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0990.JPG
  20. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. Very helpful - so I'm missing the damper, which is why I'm probably missing the bracket.

Btw, I also have a bracket on the right side, but I have a single disc (my bike is a '75). Is that normal?