1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2. Dismiss Notice

Airhead Flea Market Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bone13, Jun 12, 2013.

1. walkingbear

walkingbear Lets Play Chicken! Supporter

Oddometer:
    they are being buffed out. I left them that way to let the new owners put the finish they want.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  2. atlthrux

atlthrux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It takes time and energy *and* storage space to part out.

lucky6600 likes this.
  3. Goomicoo

Goomicoo Rubber Cow

Oddometer:
  4. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If this was mine, I would find a good, no, actually a great welder who can reattach the broken piece, then polish it back to smooth and, if need be, rechrome the gauge flange.

BTW, I got mine from Germany via eBay worldwide.

Good luck!!

SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And you also will left lots parts that unsold.
  6. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So which holes are correct and which are the buggered ones? Looks like they were originally a 4 bolt rotor, and somebody drilled them for 5 bolts. And no offense intended, but whomever drilled them did not do such a great job going by the photos.
  7. Cletus Runswithscissorsguy

Cletus Runswithscissorsguy hiding in plain sight

Oddometer:
    They were originally 4-hole. CNC machined for 5-hole. The discolorations you see are from lock washers. The holes are clean. They are also accurate. EBC drilled the 4-hole setup, the guy I bought them from had the 5-hole setup drilled. I matched them up to my existing rotors and the holes are perfect, it's the overall diameter and the offset that are wrong for me.
    They'll fit the later Brembo bikes fine (those that use 605L or 605R rotors) but will not fit earlier ATE bikes, like mine.
  8. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification.
  9. cwroady

cwroady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is a stretch, but I need the body of a right side Bing 1/24/46 carburetor for my 1955 R50 ... not an Airhead, but I know some of you also have older bikes so I thought I’d try here. Thanks, any help appreciated.
  10. El Lobo Loco

El Lobo Loco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MY QUEST FOR A PRE-1970 DAILY RIDER

I'm looking for a vintage motorcycle on which to do long road-trips on the secondary and tertiary highways of America's crumbling infrastructure. So, I finally joined up because I'm looking for a vintage motorcycle on which to do such travel -- BMW R60/2, BMW R69S, BMW R60US or BMW R69US OR of course a BMW Slash 2 Conversion.

I'm looking for a reliable ride not a hanger queen. Furthermore I stink as a mechanic so I'm looking for something that is ready to ride not a project bike. Function over form is my mantra. I'm willing to purchase from anywhere within the "Lower 48" and prefer to ship via HaulBikes.com. You need to be willing to work with them to get the bike to me, but of course shipping will be on my dime. Under the PANDEMIC I'm ruling out any fly-and-rides.

I know of a sweet newly restored 1968 BMW R60US that I could buy locally for around $12K, so that is my fall-back purchase and top price. However, I'd prefer a R69S or Conversion over a R60US. (Sorry, but I'm not about to tell anyone where this 1968 R60US is located for fear of having it snapped up by another.)

Thank you very much for any help/advice you can provide.

EL LOBO LOCO
    Scott in Missouri likes this.
  11. hunterkey

hunterkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Crazy Wolf!
    Have you read Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance? I think you may find it very interesting and especially relevant.
    If you plan on riding 50 year old motorcycle around much, you should become familiar with the mechanics. After all, these machines are fairly simple! Conversely, if you break down somewhere, there are not a lot of folks specializing in these old machines.

Given your objective, why not buy a newer bike for less money?
    This would be the functional/practical choice.
    El Lobo Loco, shearboy2004 and DinEW like this.
  12. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree with Hunterkey and really the perfect bike would be a Royal Enfield Himalayan for the type of riding you plan to do, they are reliable and smooth and damn cheap new.
  13. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I'm in favor of buying the older bike if that is what you want. However, I wouldn't plan on using it for long distance travel for the first 8 or 10 years. At least until you become a better mechanic.

8 or 10 years sounds like a lot? Not really. But I think that's how long it will take.
  14. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    If you want something that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg to keep going, I'd get an R60, not an R69S. Parts for the R69S are more expensive, not as available and are different from the other bikes. Running on low roads the R60 will do just fine, an R50 will do just fine as well but at a slightly lower speed and not like hills as much. Properly prepared, a slash 2 will go anywhere you want it to go.
  15. Scott in Missouri

Scott in Missouri I'm fast but I ain't no BigDog!!!

Oddometer:
    That is such great advice. I actually tell that to every guy that asks me about "getting a vintage bike". Royal Enfield are all great and I have a Himalayan now- cannot believe how good they are. Notice I didn't say how cheap they are....because the first thing I though was what a great bike it is. You're right though- Man they are a steal. But if one has to have an old BMW, I'd definitely consider a post 1970 for a fraction of the price. 1981 and newer in my opinion for ignition, brakes and transmission.

Back to "riding a /2"...

I just sold a conversion to a friend that begged me for one for about a year. It took me that long to believe he understood the /2 and the bike. He joined the Airheads and started learning about them. He loves the bike. I have 9 more /2s and will probably begin selling them soon. This is not directed to the original poster but your comments to him made me think of a similar and recent situation.
    D475B7ED-4DEC-45B0-8F17-C52A3FE841E0.jpeg
    A gentleman got my number as a /2 guy and called to ask for help and I happily called him and took his emails and was glad to help him. He wanted one to ride around and I wouldn't sell him one. I kind of felt like a jerk, but just feel like BMW guys are very fussy in general and then a guy that says he is not mechanically inclined is going to be very disappointed. It's very hard to find anyone locally that can or will work on these bikes.

Anyway, he kept talking about $14k "riders" and I kept saying that's a lot of money for a rider. I started to soften up and wanted to go against my better judgement and offer him one of mine. I called HIS local mechanic and discussed what the mechanic would charge to do the things the gentleman would need to make it a great rider....he would have ended up with less than $8500 after a tune up with tires and bearings/seals.
    1C40B9F1-B116-4961-90CC-1C4FB76DE041.jpeg

Sooooo...I offered it to him and he kept discussing $14k "riders". He sent pics with signs of amateur work like paint, stripes and wrong parts- not to mention the " what is a slinger" questions. So I stopped trying to protect him and let the market gobble him up in the $14-$15k range.

The moral of the story is- /2s are great bikes if you know what you're buying and will run forever if you're handy with a wrench. If you're not, you better have a mechanic or cell phone with you for the little things that pop up occasionally.
    spo123, Jim K in PA, Texer and 2 others like this.
  16. shearboy2004

Oddometer:
    Absolutely Mate I agree! I have a 75 Norton that is in the same league, you better like spanners to own one ! lol
  17. El Lobo Loco

El Lobo Loco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My sincere thanks to you all. I may have dodged a very costly bullet thanks to your sage counsel. Look @ the horror you saved me from! :D The restorer says it will be several weeks to a few months before he's willing to send it out into the world. Beautiful as it is, perhaps it isn't the best fit for my piss-poor level of mechanical savy. Now, if it were a computer, tablet or smartphone I'd be in velvet.

fullsizeoutput_1c63.jpeg
  18. shearboy2004

Oddometer:
    That sure is a beautiful bike Mate and I would love to have it but once in my ownership, it would never look that good again !!. I would ride the crap out of it and it would be dirty with scratches in no time. Best someone more sensible than me gets it! lol
  19. El Lobo Loco

El Lobo Loco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IF I end up getting it in spite of my atrophied wrenching skills I intend to do the same. Perhaps I should look to Slash 2 Conversions instead?
  20. El Lobo Loco

El Lobo Loco Adventurer

Oddometer:

Would a Slash 2 Conversion require less robust wrenching skills?

ELL