Airhead Restoration Garage in Ontario Canada or nearby US?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by htwashere, Feb 26, 2019.

1. htwashere

htwashere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey airhead fans out there, I recently bought a R75/5 with the intention to slowly restore to its glory days or convert to a good looking cafe/scrambler - but as the day job keeps getting in the way, it is still sitting sadly in the garage and only getting casual love from me. So my thought is starting to wonder to have someone else professionally do the job. I guess like everyone else, I am rather picky on who should work on this time machine so I was wondering, would you know of any great BMW restoration companies in Toronto Ontario Canada or nearby US states? I am hoping to be within 6 hour driving/riding distance. I have googled a fair bit and most of the famous garages seem to be far far away from my homestead. If there is already a post like this please excuse my search skill and point me to that thread. Looking forward to your suggestions and Safe Riding...
  2. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Post this in the Airheads sub-forum and it will get more attention and responses more quickly.

I recommend my garage, but I'm not taking any more work on . . . :lol3
    htwashere likes this.
  3. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    You might pm despatcher, here on Advr.
  4. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    You might pm 'dispatcher' here on advr, he is in Canada and seems to know his BMW stuff.
    htwashere likes this.
  5. stucknarut

stucknarut Uh oh...

Oddometer:
    There is an airhead bmw group on Facebook, you should ask there. ibmwr.org also lists independent bmw mechanics, with a couple in Ontario - no idea if current.
  6. htwashere

htwashere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! ibmwr.org should give me a start. I personally visited Al Blanchard (listed in the web site), he has since retired.
  7. Arktasian

Arktasian No turbo for you!

Oddometer:
    Nice Jim, dangle the carrot and then whisk it away just as the unwary trips towards your doorstep.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  8. stucknarut

stucknarut Uh oh...

Oddometer:
    If you plan to wrench on it yourself at some point, there's also airheads.org. It's $30 a year and not very active, but a retty quick way to get into the crusty old guy part of the local airhead scene. If nothing else it'll get you a phone number and email for the Ontario air marshall. BMWMOA.org is good if you plan to tour it long distance, the anonymous book has saved my ass a few times, and their forum is more active. More general though.
    htwashere likes this.
  9. htwashere

htwashere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know eh (note my canuck accent); and the drive to Pocono Mountains is 7 hours from my place - I wonder if my slasher can make it there as is...:)
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  10. htwashere

htwashere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thank you - and yes, I am a current member of bmomoa.org. I found my bike from its forum also...cheers.
  11. mr jazzbo

mr jazzbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. The Beemer Barn in Middleport NY. Due south of Toronto on the north shore of Lake Ontario. I mean the south shore. Sorry
    htwashere likes this.
  12. htwashere

htwashere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very cool two hour ride from my city thank you for this...
  13. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    htwashere likes this.
  14. rayb24

rayb24 n00b

Oddometer:
    Try airsupportbmw.com he’s in Kitchener Ontario

Hth’s
    Ray
    GrahamM and htwashere like this.
  15. htwashere

htwashere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you gents, all suggestions are appreciated. By the way, has anyone heard of http://www.csmoto.com/? This would be most convenient for me if this company checks out...
  16. radmeister

radmeister Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    try john lammers in wainfleet, ontario, you can pm me for his phone number.
    rayb24 likes this.
  17. MJH89

MJH89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://tmachine.co/

These guys are in Toronto. I haven’t had any personal experience with their work, but I have talked to Emrah and it was clear to me that he knew his airheads.
    htwashere likes this.
  18. headtube

headtube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings fellow Torontonian. Actually I'm in Brampton but close enough. You didn't mention the present state of the bike. Is it a runner? In boxes? Do you want a full restoration? A daily driver? The reason I ask is you can run up a huge bill by handing over your bike to a shop and saying... give it what it needs. OEM parts are not cheap, nor is labour if this ride needs a lot of attention.

There is a Tech weekend this summer at the Ontario air marshals place. There are many knowledgeable airheads that attend. Basically, all you do is bring parts. The service and knowledge gained is free. You will learn so much. And get that beloved machine closer to its original glory.

I too am presently resurrecting a non runner 72 R75/5. Almost finished. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to chat about the tech weekend. And visit boxer2valves YouTube channel. A wealth of wrenching knowledge there.
    htwashere and WRC51 like this.
  19. radmeister

radmeister Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    and let me know if you are doing the timing chain and/or the steering head bearings. i have the cycleworks tools. we can practise on your bike. :rofl
  20. headtube

headtube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is something I can do at home. However, as it happens my bike purchase has yet to run... soon... when the snow is gone and temps settle around 15*. So I haven't yet evaluated the need to replace the timing chain. But the sterring head bearings are already done. Sorry mate.
    htwashere likes this.