1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Airhead side stand poll: fix it, mod it, or leave it?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by elmoreman, Sep 2, 2009.

?

What's your sidestand situation?

1. Stock: How could BMW be wrong?

2. Browns Sidestand: Ha ha, I have one and you dont!

3. Other mods: boutique or self made (weudo, etc)

4. I removed the sidestand lean the bike on a parked harley

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. elmoreman

elmoreman takin' a break, boss

Oddometer:
    So, while I love my new r100rs, I cant get used to the sidestand. The best sidestand I ever had was on my k100rs, where the sidestand goes up when you pull in the clutch...loved that one. My gspd and g/s both had been "fixed" so that they stayed down, but I left it down one too many times for comfort on the g/s, and think I might just live with the auto-retacting stocker. So, what do you have, what did you do, and do you like it?
  2. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    BMW is pretty out there on sidestands on the airheads. The rs at least the late model is one of the worst. Not easy to get a toe on it and then get it far enough forward, then have to lean it way too far over, especially if you are at all inseam challanged. I put a extension on the upper tab that helps get it down but will be ordering a sure foot from Motobins soon. Had one on a r80rt and it was great.
  3. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of people for some reason or another suffer from the misconception that they have to extend the sidestand all the way forward with their foot before leaning the bike over. I lean the bike a bit to the left, put the stand down just far enough that it makes contact with the ground, and roll the bike back to fully extend it. Works fine for me. My only gripe is when some dickwad fresh out of a bar decides that he needs to feel what it's like to straddle a motorcycle, hops on, sidestand pops up, he goes to set the bike back down and drops it... and leaves it there. F***in frat boys.
  4. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    I've got stock G/S and it sucks anytime i stop on ground which slopes to left (29" inseam :augie). Worse yet if I have something lashed to back which interferes with leg swing. Haven't dropped it yet, but that day may come :eek1.

I haven't had time or patience to cob together a stay down stand. Had them for years on Asian bikes, and never had a problem :dunno

OTOH, I'm liking the Harley option :lol3
  5. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    No question about it: Brown (or other aftermarket) stand. Life is too short for a PIA side stand.
  6. airhead78

airhead78 I am slow

Oddometer:
    Particularly if you are short like me. What a PITA. Brown or Farley is the way to go.
  7. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a bent in my side stand. I am not sure if it is stock, but my bike has always seemed very stable on the side stand. I have noticed that the bike smokes if I leave it on the side stand for a few days, so I put it on the center stand if it going going to be there a while, but I don't mind leaving it on the side stand while I run into the store or something (at least if the parking lot is flat)
  8. CurlyMike

CurlyMike Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer:
    I always catch crap for this, especially from the /5 united people,who seem to take this personal. I have a Brown on my 83 R100 and I am not a fan. The bikes I have had in the past /5 or /6s, I have always done the same small modifications and loved the way the stock stand springs up and out of the way all by its self. This is what I do.

Weld the pin in solid (only after making sure it hasnt been too honed down) This is why most are untrustworthy. Then I weld on the end of the catch part of the side stand that touches the stop. This obviously makes it stop shorter and lean a whole lot less. I am lazy and really love that those things just spring right into place when they are functioning properly. Always get a fresh spring as well.

I know most hate them, but I like them, let the beating begin, oh well.
    sprouty115 and tlub like this.
  9. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    30" inseam
    Not messing with the sidestand while seated.
    I get off and deploy it, retract and get on.

Scott
    R60/2 R75/5 R80ST
    R100PDave likes this.
  10. Mendodave

Mendodave Road Scholar

Oddometer:
    I have the Brown sidestand on the R80G/S, it does fit, contrary to popular belief, but it leans farther over due to the added height of the G/S.

This kinda sucks donkeyballs, especially when you have two weeks of crap on the bike and a full 8.9 gallons.

I have been living with it by finding things to park it on to lift it up more, but...ugh, that gets old.

I am thinking of going back to the stocker.

Mendo
  11. wolfy317

wolfy317 Addicted to BMW

Oddometer:
    I'd love to get a brown or something for my 75/5. I'm tired of it leaning so damn far over lol.
  12. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what kind of stand I inherited on my R80 ST. One of the POs before the guy I bought it from was a hobby machinist and had rigged some stuff on the stand to make it non-retracting - and that didn't work out so well the way he had set it up.

I used his parts and some deep thinking to make it a decent non-retracting stand that I can get down with my foot and no gymnastics.

I have to take off in a few minutes to an appointment, but when I get back this evening, I'll get my daughter to help snap a couple of pics of how it actually works with my foot on it. I should be able to get them uploaded to this thread by late this evening depending on how long the daughter needs the computer for "homework".
  13. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    Stock sidestands on both airhead GS, G/S. 31" inseam, no problem. I typically get off the bike and then put the side stand down, but mostly I use the center stand. I've tried the method of getting the side stand down most of the way while seated on the bike, and then roll the bike back a bit, but this feels like I will bend something with the weight of the bike. I would not put the "fixer" on there so that it does not retract automatically.
    R100PDave likes this.
  14. C Squared

C Squared Now with TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also LOVED my K75 stand (retracts with the clutch)
    BMW totally nailed that one.:thumb

But, the stocker on my R100R is fine by me.
    I do have longish legs and it is kinda a ritual to fold the stand and lean the bike into a "fall" then get off.

Wifes R65 has a brown and I actually don't like reaching back so far to fold it.
    She also has a Reynold ride off and the two interfere with each other when retracted.

Hey, wait...... when riding, the stand is not even in use:lol3
  15. krehmkej

krehmkej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the Surefoot from MotoBins and have been totally satisfied with it. A bit of a pain with the exchange requirement, but it was worth the effort.

My $0.03, as always, YMMV.
    boxerboy81 likes this.
  16. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    I find that I can adjust the side stand on my R90/6 to self retract or not.

If I don't want it to self retract, I put it on the the side stand and loosen and then re tighten the front motor mount. That allows the plate the the spring attaches to to rotate and the stand will now stay down. If I want it to self retract I put the stand up then loosen and re tighten the motor mount again. The plate rotates and now the side stand self retracts. :dunno
    Ohthetrees likes this.
  17. mark1305

Oddometer:
    First of all, Crap! I forgot to take the pics before bring the car into the garage for the night - tomorrow.

Secondly, My stand has the spring mounted on a strange looking cylinder that appears as if it can be rotated by loosening some setscrews. I need to check it out and see if it can be made to retract/non retract.
  18. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    I still have the stock self retracting side stand on my bike. I get off the bike to deploy it. Kind of a hassle but works for me. I don't ride the airhead enough (all the time) to warrant fooling with it.

Mike
  19. elmoreman

elmoreman takin' a break, boss

Oddometer:
    a dead heat...not very instructive yet:huh , except that the choice is personal:1drink .
  20. mark1305

Oddometer:
    Don't know if this will help, but here's the way mine is setup ...
    [​IMG]

It looks like the black cylindrical piece the springs hang on could possibly be rotated to make it self retract.
    [​IMG]

The PO had fashioned a toe lever but placed iit on a clamp across the springs :huh After it unhooked one of the springs during stand deployment I moved it to its current location. I can simply put my toes on it and swing the stand all the way forward to park, and I can reach it under the cylinder to retract the stand with my toes while seated on the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't have a helper to snap a pic of my foot activating the stand, but you can get the idea from these pics.