Airhead "valve job"

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by arbalest, Oct 12, 2021.

1. arbalest

arbalest Long timer

Oddometer:
    What ball park are we playing in (price wise) to get a head redone? Assume no catastrophic failures, under 40k miles. Valves and seats ground, guides checked, etc.
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    What year are the heads (pre or post unleaded gas)?

I had the valves done just pre-pandemic and it ran in the middle $700's for both heads. That included new valves, springs and guides. That did not include replacing valve seats as mine is an '86. Most post 1980 heads included the Stellite valve seats. If they can reuse the valves that could save you $200 - $300 (maybe). My valves were originals with about 85,000 miles on them so probably not a bad thing they were replaced.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Guides do not get checked. You look at the heads under the valve covers and know the story. Post a pic and I will note what you are looking at.

valves and seats do not get ground. Well, unless you want to spend a whole lot just to put another 40k worth of wear on them.

At 40k it doesn't need anything unless a compression/leak down reveals damage from something. best course of action is to leave it alone.

80 - 100k, think about head work.
    nothing and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  4. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That depends. A lot of the pre-'81 heads went as far as 100K without attention, but most '81-'84 bikes would have pulled the exhaust valve through the seat before then.

I replace the exhaust seats in almost every set of heads I rebuild, unless they're '85 on. I almost never regrind exhaust valves; it leaves the valve head too thin.

To answer arbalest's question, $750 at minimum.
  5. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's possible to push them through the seat as well. :D
    robtg and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. arbalest

arbalest Long timer

Oddometer:
    Each?
  7. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Both.

Grinding valves and lapping valves are two different operations. You do lapping your self. They need to be tight but fail the leaking acetone test before they are asking for lapping. Sometimes freshly ground valves are lapped, just to make them extra nice.
    Disston and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Pair.
  9. arbalest

arbalest Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  10. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    spokester likes this.
  11. arbalest

arbalest Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Highly recommend his work. Plus the shop is only about 75 minutes ride from me and a great place to start a ride though the twisties of the Santa Cruz Mtns.
  13. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ted just did a set for me this spring, very pleased.

ADV members bmwrench and anton largiader also offer this service. Would not hesitate to call on them for this service, as well.
    spokester and Motopsychoman like this.
  14. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:
  15. NDGuerre

NDGuerre n00b

Oddometer:
    Bud did mine earlier this year, excellent work. Bought his replacement pistons and he diamond honed the cylinders. Have been away from the bike most of this year so haven’t had time to appreciate the improvements much. Installing a Wedgetail ignition today and planning to get some miles on it. Parts look so nice when they came back you want to be able to see them.
    lucky6600 and OldCrustyStuff like this.
  16. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I know the cost of the work in 5 minutes. It might take 15 years to know the quality. I liked that ted called me to ask me how I was going to ride the bike so he could set the spring pressures correctly. I didn't like that it took over 3 months to go pick them up.. That cost me my window to install the new parts.
  17. crawler07

crawler07 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had Max BMW in NH rebuild the heads on my R50/5 and it wasnt cheap, but they did it rather quick and they stood behind their work when I had an issue with a sticking valve (They made the valve to guide clerance a little to tight on one valve)
    The price was close to $1,400 and this included replacing all valves, springs, guides , upper and lower retainers and keepers cutting the seats and repairing the exhaust spigots on both heads and vapor blasting they also fly cut all four sides of the heads. My bike had around 65K and much neglect so im thinking my case was the extreme side, I just wanted you to know it can be a large $$ range depending on the current condition of your heads.

Good luck!
  18. OldCrustyStuff

OldCrustyStuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was this recently? I hadn’t sent a set in about 2 years but he used to turn them around in 30-45 days.
  19. Plaka

Oddometer:
    no. I also had them cut for dual plugs and he might have been batching them up.
    OldCrustyStuff likes this.