Airheads at the Peoria TT Aug. 18, 2018

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Beamer Bum, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Beamer Bum

Beamer Bum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is short notice, but we are trying to get an Airhead presence at this years Peoria TT race.
    For those who don't know, this is a premier race for the flat track racing season. It is a little different than the normal flat track oval racing. This beautiful track is a modified clay oval with a dogleg and a jump on the back straight. These guys get serious air over the jump and then have to get all over the brakes to negotiate turn 3. The track is nestled in a natural amphitheater outside of Peoria Illinois. It is owned by the Peoria Motorcycle Club and family friendly.
    Link to website: http://www.peoriamotorcycleclub.net/
    This is a unique event and an awesome show. We all like our tech days and barley therapies, but a ride to Peoria for the TT Race should be on everyone's bucket list.
    Our Illinois Airmarshall has reserved camping for Saturday night:
    Jubilee State Park camping
    Our spot is in Coyote Cove camping area/ loop A, spots number 22 and 23.
    So come and join us for some great racing and then camping and camaraderie after the race.

PM me or the Illinois Airmarshall:
    @James.A for more details.
    Lornce and dmftoy1 like this.
  2. James.A

James.A ILL Airmarshal

Oddometer:
    Initially, there was some confusion on the event. The P.M.C. usually has the race on sunday. This year it is scheduled for saturday, Aug.18. The Illinois Airheads will have camping available for both friday and saturday at the Jubilee College State Park. www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Pages/JubileeCollege.aspx
    dmftoy1 likes this.
  3. Beamer Bum

Oddometer:
    I am posting some photos from past TT's to give you some incentive to join us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pezz_gs and spokester like this.
  4. Cletus Runswithscissorsguy

Cletus Runswithscissorsguy hiding in plain sight

Oddometer:
    Very interested. Trying to convince a friend of mine near Chicago to join also. Lemme see if I can swing it.
    Cost on the campground, food nearby, etc??
  5. Beamer Bum

Oddometer:
    I don’t know what the cost for camping is but I’m sure it’s not a lot. My guess is probably 10 bucks. PM @James.A and ask him. The campground is only about 12 miles from Peoria so food and other amenities are close. The track is also about 12 miles from the campground.
  6. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Jim said $5 per tent - for Saturday night at least.

Gotta get to the race track early if you want a seat in the grass with a view of the jump. Fun to watch from pretty much anywhere in the shade. I can’t camp but I’ll come over after the race and have some beers and BS.
    Beamer Bum likes this.
  7. Beamer Bum

Oddometer:
    Camping is optional. We want Airheads at the races. Jim said he prefers the back side of the track also. I’ll make sure he has the Illinois Airhead flag flying high so we are easy to find.
  8. Cletus Runswithscissorsguy

Oddometer:
    I'm in with a buddy. Do I need to contact anyone else, or is here OK?
    We'll have 2 tents.
  9. Beamer Bum

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cletus. Both @James.A and myself are watching this thread. It would actually be helpful to us if everyone planning on camping, lets us know here. I'm sure we can handle last minute campers, but it would be good to have a count of tents ahead of time. I am so looking forward to this. I've been going to the TT for 27 years, but having this year as an Airhead event makes it special. My hope is that this becomes an annual destination for Airheads from around the country.
  10. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Timing sucks for me to make this, but I have wanted to get to this event for a while, and I will get there eventually. On one of my airheads, of course. :D
  11. Beamer Bum

Oddometer:
    We want to make this an annual event so plan on next year. If we start getting a good turnout, I might combine the TT with a tour of Illinois Route 66 and make it a week long event.
    Jim K in PA and Geezerrv like this.
  12. Geezerrv

Geezerrv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure I could make it for a week but will do my best to be there next year. Have a conflict this year. Looks like a great time.
  13. Cletus Runswithscissorsguy

Oddometer:
    Bump
  14. Beamer Bum

Oddometer:
    LOL I was going to bump this thread myself.
    Next Weekend Folks. Come one come all. Guaranteed good time or no money back. :lol3
    The long range weather forecast looks good, too.
    dmftoy1 likes this.
  15. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe I misunderstood something but I really don’t think my ‘77 R75/7 could do much on that track. I know you studs like Jenna on her ST or Stagehand on his Rooney Moonrocket R65 could eat that course but I just don’t get why the race organizers want BMW Airheads in particular to show up for this weekend.

Did they run out of Harley-Davidson riders last year? Not enough drama on the jump?
  16. Beamer Bum

Oddometer:
    We are going to watch the races and camp out and have fun. I know I'm not competitive enough to race with the best flat track racers in the country. :photog
    The Illinois Airheads want to do something besides a tech day. This is what we decided to do.
    aptbldr, dmftoy1, Mouse and 1 other person like this.
  17. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious - what time are folks showing up at the track? I’ve been slowly working up to 100 mile days on the airhead and could probably squeeze in a 200 miler by the end of next week.
  18. Beamer Bum

Oddometer:
    Dave,
    I might go Friday to camp both days. Or, I might go Saturday. If I go Saturday, I can swing by your place around 9 or 10 in the morning and we can travel together. We will get to the track around 11 or 12. I'll let you know later in the week what my plans are.
  19. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool - I’m up for anything
  20. James.A

James.A ILL Airmarshal

Oddometer:
    Here's the details on the camping, David Crawford and I have reserved to R.V. spaces at Jubilee. He has friday and I have saturday. The expense for the spaces are $25 each so the total for each night is $50. The cost will vary depending on the number of campers for each night. Dave F. has offered to subsidize some of the expense. Personally, I don't care about the outlay. I am going to ride out there today and introduce myself to the campground host. As of the time that I reserved the spots, there were not many other campers nearby, but that may change. I want everyone to have fun, but we must be respectful to others. I will not tolerate hooliganism of any sort. For those who like to drink, let's practice discretion. Some parks in IL prohibit alcohol, but only swing that hammer when there is a disturbance.