AJP PR7 650. Single cyl factory built hard-Adv bike!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blakduk, Feb 25, 2015.

1. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Being an optimist I decided to check out the AJPaustralia website. Goes to a GasGas website now....so something is afoot. Hopefully something positive.
    LeglessOne likes this.
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Ummmm... mebbe not. :nah

That link is to a 2017 GasGas (Australia) distributor page... a.k.a. "pre-KTM acquisition" of the GasGas marque.

Another example of the - struggle - that AJP has been frought with in an attempt to establish a cohesive worldwide distributor/dealer network. The now defunct Swedish distributor was a small residential and light industrial electrical parts wholesaler from a regional town in the center of the Scandinavian countryside. Other places I've heard of, where the AJP dealerships are lawnmower shops and places that sold Chinese knock off fiddy's, kids mini-bikes and scooters. :uhoh

Sorry, it does not inspire my confidence as a prospective customer... and I praised the bike itself (the PR7) very highly - from the first moment I rode one back in spring of 2017.
    KIZ, Farmer Roy and bungen like this.
  3. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The distributorship has been up for grabs for months. Seems like no one is prepared to take it on.
  4. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My guess is that it has finally been relinquished (i.e. it is no longer being sold with liabilities by GBT imports). Which is hopefully the first step in getting it re-established by a new player. My gut feel is that they potentially have a good market in Aus - just because of the type of riding.
  5. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    I don't think selling it in Oz would be a problem.
    I feel the issue lies in whomever takes it on has to fit it into their business plan without upsetting their existing accounts like KTM or any of the big Jap brands.
    If they sell a PR7, they don't sell one of their existing brand bikes. That's a big risk to take on for all but the largest importers.

Or, someone with a very big bucket of money to invest for very little return in the short term.
    Good luck.
    Ducksbane, Farmer Roy and jack82 like this.
  6. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    another problem is its a one trick pony ....all the other AJP bikes are ho-hum
  7. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    This is correct to a point... the PR7 is a very different niche to the other (largely recreational, entry level trail bike) models in the AJP model line up. I can see that would make it difficult for a prospective agent/dealership to determine where their market is and who to aim at.

A range of asian/euro playbikes and one adventure specific 600cc dualsport rally replica make a pretty strange model portfolio you gotta' admit... no matter how you try to spin the marketing lingo... :1drink
    theMISSIONARY and BergDonk like this.
  8. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    SWM have taken a smart approach to this by padding out their lineup with little inexpensive road bike crowd pleasers

Expect these things have a solid urban Euro and Asian market

[​IMG]
  9. Farmer Roy

Farmer Roy Long timer

Oddometer:

Is there a possibility for someone to do similar to the Ural Australia business model ( not that I really know what it is, but just how it appears ) ?
    A small, niche market, an independent importer / distributor with a very small ( or non existent ? ) dealership network ?
    Whatever ? Seems to work for Ural . . .
    Baloffski, Hoots and GodSilla like this.
  10. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What would it cost to pick up the distribution?
  11. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Is there a possibility of the importer supplying your local shop where you and the shop get access to service parts and programs?
  12. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Peanuts, at least in comparison to the cost of type approval. The importer (and/or manufacturer) needs to supply bikes for testing in each country before a model can be sold and registered. After modifying that bike for the specifics of that country. Then do so again before any major change to that model can be sold (eg. ABS). The cost of all this has to be recouped through selling, in this case, relatively few bikes. Which bumps up the price of each bike substantially. So potential buyers whinge and settle for a cheaper bike. Importer isn't making money and so gives up. Not a good business plan. Which is what we're seeing in Canada, no one want to try importing this very good bike but of very limited sales potential so we can't even pay up and import one on our own (since AJP isn't on the approved list) Is that the future for AJP in Aus?
    Hoots and jack82 like this.
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    On the money F.R.

Ural selling this bike, and only this bike from the SWM range, alongside the sidecars. That turns the distribution network into a 2-trick pony, a win-win for everybody. There is room for this niche motorcycle here, no problem, but obviously not with a Japanese-style reach and penetration of dealerships.
    Ural have demonstrated that this can work.
    Hoots, rvsparky and Farmer Roy like this.
  14. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    The PR7 has already passed ADR's so does not need to be tested at the expense of a new importer.

This talk of ABS is just that, talk.
    I have not heard of it happening except on this forum.

Adding ABS would not require much outlay to pass ADR's if needed at all.

Anyone could import a PR7 to Aust and register it, not financially viable in single or small quantities though.
  15. TB700

TB700 Adventurer

Oddometer:

You are kidding right? Legislation was passed and came into effect on November 2019

There has already been a heap of models doomed or planned demise this year and new models with ABS like the KLR650.
    To rattle off a few of the bikes that will be culled, there is the Suzuki DR-Z400, E and SM models, DR-650SE, Yamaha XT250, WR250R, and some agriculture bikes. And that’s nowhere near all of them.

Quick google search first result

https://www.bikesales.com.au/editorial/details/abs-to-be-mandated-in-australia-110055/

UTB, LeglessOne and badmanners like this.
  16. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yup.

The only additional point to add is that existing models are grandfathered to the end of this year.

legislation for reference: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017L01554

An import-to-order business model would work, but it'd depend on what sort of presence AJP insisted on. I suspect they wouldn't sign up to it.
    TB700 likes this.
  17. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Fair enough, l stand corrected.

I'm kinda glad l didn't get one now. Too many teething issues.
    Enjoy.
  18. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although the principle is true, Urals are so completely unique they can count on recouping most of the value of that niche market

The PR7 has to get passed everything from the 690/701, to the new CRF300s, and up to the T7 and a whole lot of other dirt-capable touring bikes - yes, these are very different bikes with different areas of emphasis but all are fundamentally dirt-capable tourers - and all on the radar for most potential PR7 customers

AJP could look at piggybacking the PR7 on SWM in smaller markets like AUS - maybe even selling it here as an SWM model - i.e. a more dirt-capable version of the SuperDual, to replace the old RS650R

SWM only has 3 bikes in Australia, and the SuperDual already uses the same engine platform as the PR7

AUS is just a small market, but because we push offroad bikes harder than most other countries (these dirt tourers in particular) it's a good market for manufacturers to succeed in - the success of the 950/990 here, and all the publicity around them, played a big role in securing their reputation globally
    GodSilla, Farmer Roy and braaap! like this.
  19. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see the PR7 sitting in the Dual-sport void that is currently filled by a combination of DRZ400's, DR650's and 690/701's (which is pretty much what we get on all of our rides). Two of which are about to be lost to the market. None of the riders in our group want to go bigger or heavier and the options are reducing. Low tech is preferred. So it ticks a lot of boxes.
    XRodders, Farmer Roy and saltyD like this.
  20. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    Exactly…just spent 10 days on the COBDR. Did well on the passes - Hancock and Ophir included. Was also the best bike on the tarmac.