AJP PR7 650. Single cyl factory built hard-Adv bike!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blakduk, Feb 25, 2015.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Good point... and it used to be - back in the 80's and into early 90's - that the "big four" (Japanese manufacturers) even produced limited Australian ADR specific production versions of some models models (particularly dualsport, trail and enduro models) to meet that niche. But with increasing cost of production, reduced sales/import quantities, and increasing global emission control criteria, it seems that the willingness to do the "Oz specific" thing has dwindled...
    Hoots likes this.
  2. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d be surprised if the European rules weren’t the same and required bikes to have ABS in the near future…..
  3. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Virtually all new European motorcycles (except for moped/scooter, light - sub 125cc - commuter motorcycle and the competition model enduro/trail exempt) are required to be ABS compliant.
  4. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think a previous poster that apparently has some inside info said that they will have ABS on future models - so hopefully a none issue. For mine i think they have a place in the Aus market and I'm interested enough to delay a likely 701 purchase to see if a potential importer has the same thoughts. It would seem logical to me (who has no idea about the whys and where-fors of being a importer) that it could sit along side a small volume importer like SWM. However I suspect that the main deterrent is the potential for subsequent losses as a result of warranty issues - which for an untested/low volume bike must be a risk. But as above - I don't really know what I'm talking about.....

But if all production is sold for this year then we're probably looking at 2022 anyways - so plenty of time for moves to be made. Also time for Suzuki to release news of their game changing dual sport replacement for the DR based on the RMX450 with more robust internals and a bigger oil capacity (I told you I don't know what I'm talking about)....
  5. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a look and the ADRs are basically a copy of the Euro rules. I think the weight of the PR7 puts it over the enduro exemption so not sure how/why it doesn’t yet have ABS (not sure if there was a delay in the application of the rules) but will no doubt have to, to allow it to continue…..
  6. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Haven't read any forums for about 12 months. Logged on tonight for old times sake.
    Lots of bed-wetting going on here. Fair enough if that's your thing, but it's so much better wearing out the components rather than the keyboard.
    Find Tim Larsen on fb and ask him what he thinks of his 2017 PR7
    saltyD likes this.
  7. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hard to see what your point is here ...

The complaints above are around the fact that you can't now buy PR7s in Australia

Difficult to wear out components if you can't buy the bike
    970, tomo8r, UTB and 3 others like this.
  8. XRodders

XRodders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Be interesting to see a show of hands who would put down a deposit for the PR7. (Suppy and ADR issues aside for the meantime). Warranty would be parts only...

I'M IN!!!
    PomInAus likes this.
  9. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    I'm out.

Fix it properly, like the fuelling, then maybe.
    Hoots likes this.
  10. XRodders

XRodders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The new 2021 models have a new ECU by Athena replacing the Delpi unit and by all reports so far seems to do away with the fueling issues of the previous models...
  11. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried to put down a deposit at the start of the year when the importer was still making out that he was just getting round to it. He mentioned that he had 12 people wanting to do the same but this may have be a bit of sales talk.

This was also before (the subsequently advised) price hike into the $17k bracket. I'm still interested but as per above its a bit of a moot point. Fact is, the old DR isn't going to go forever so I need a new plan of some sort - see how patient I can remain.
  12. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    $17k will buy you a 690/701, quite a few DR's or build up an enduro.... all with nation wide dealer support?
    Hoots, Tenerrod, UTB and 1 other person like this.
  13. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100% agree. This may well be why they importer is struggling to sell his business.

Meanwhile their production for the rest of the year is sold in Europe - so why bother with dropping prices to sell into Aus?

Personally I just like the concept / package. It's the closest bike in the market to what I'd build myself if I was starting with a blank sheet of paper. Not for everyone but good for me now and the riding I enjoy.
    XRodders, Cruz and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    17 K AUD is not that bad (if it includes the optional power up kit option and the new ATHENA ECU module). If you consider the above statement.

I did a scan of the local (euro) bike sales sites just now... I found three relative low mileage, good condition PR7's up for sale... all three ranging from 2019 to 2020 models... with a selection of all the fruit (the aftermarket power up pipe and ECU kit + usual luggage racks etc.). Price bracket is € 12,000 to € 14,000 (that's @ $ 19,400 to 22,700 AUD at today's exchange rate).

[​IMG]

The new RRP in England for a stock 2021 model PR7 is listed as £ 8,500 British pounds. (@ $16,150 AUD + $ 1,510 for the factory option power up kit).

In Sweden two years back (2019 model) were listed at SEK 12,000.00 + 9,500.00 for the power up kit. (That's @ $18,000.00 AUD plus another 1500 for the upgraded power pipe and ECU... + on roads, rego, insurance etc.) ... and that was two years back, before the agent shut up shop (in Schweeeden).

I can see why the dealer in Oz would be doing it tough... low sales margin, big import and transport costs, shipping delays, long production/delivery time frames and a big (widely spread) marketplace to cover, for a low volume niche targeted adventure bike...

... look out... here come the Chinese (threads)... (again)... :defend :zilla
    Hoots and UTB like this.
  15. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $17k was without the power up.

Agree on the importer. I'd given things like this zero thought previously but the more I look at it ....... hard yards for the sort of money to be made.

As above, if AJP can sell all they make into an enthusiastic local market then not much incentive to do deals to drop prices to get a foothold here.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  16. VTwins4me

VTwins4me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The UK importer has sold all available PR7s and has a waiting list for the next batch. Supports the above comment about local markets so hard luck in the "Colonies..." ;0)

My PR7 is now 2 years old and has been faultless. I'm now running a Thork ECU which is better than factory but still not perfect.
    IMO the fuelling issues are real but not deal breakers. It's a typical internet storm in a teacup, passed on and magnified by many who can't have ridden a PR7 - 'cos there aren't that many around! It is easy to "ride around" and only really becomes annoying it tight, very rough going.

Just my 2 penny worth.
    Cruz, UTB, XRodders and 1 other person like this.
  17. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    What ECU do you have and is it a special map? Or is it just the Delphi ECU and the Thork map?
  18. slash222

slash222 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Being vertically challenged I am think about building a tubeless 19 / 17 wheel set. I was wondering if anybody knows what the front and rear hubs are that are on the PR 7. AJP being a small company I wouldn't think these are stand alone hubs but taken from an existing bike.
  19. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Good job on doubleposting, maybe you can try and find a few other threads to post in as well?
  20. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this wonderful contribution. you added a useless post to this thread and you made me add one too!
    theMISSIONARY, LeglessOne and Anders- like this.