AJP PR7 650. Single cyl factory built hard-Adv bike!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blakduk, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The PR7 really is a standout

And what you say about the SWM 500 and 300 is also true - but there are a few characteristics of the SWMs that are worth thinking about

Exhaust: the SWMs have a huge heavy twin exhaust systems - AJP look much more sensible going by that pic

Fuel: the SWM fuel tanks are just 7.5L - whereas AJPs are 9.5L - that's the difference between functional and not

Mapping: AJP have worked with Thork Racing to produce an aggressive mapping for their version - the SWMs are (apparently) very laid back ...

Suspension: the KYB setup on the SWMs (front and back) doesn't seem to be the sensational KYB setup on WRFs, some Shercos, etc - it would be good, but not necessarily great - and not necessarily better than the ZF suspension of the AJPs

If in that market, I'd give the AJPs serious thought if the price was comparable ...
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  2. tomo8r

tomo8r PEACE! BREAD! LAND!

Oddometer:
    Does the Safari tank fit on the AJP like on the SWM?
  3. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I doubt it.....the AJP has an underseat tank.
  4. tomo8r

tomo8r PEACE! BREAD! LAND!

Oddometer:
    The AJP?
  5. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The AJP has a different frame I thought - so un-likley.
  6. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just don't think they'll be able to compete price wise.....after all they're buying their engines from SWM :-) . But who knows ?

The 500 I rode had plenty of mumbo. Power wise it felt very close to my Kato 500 and Beta 480. The suspension and handling were fine but you could feel the extra weight compared to the Kato/Beta. I'd rate it as a great knock about trail bike and a good base for a light weight ADV bike.
    Hoots likes this.
  7. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha....sorry yeah...the AJP.
    tomo8r likes this.
  8. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back on the PR7 ...

Has anyone fitted StegPegz to one of these?
  9. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wondered the same thing (I reckon they're the best thing since sliced bread) and searched the FB page. I saw a picture of some a bloke had knocked up himself but they looked like they were connected to the bottom of the tank and too far back. Not sure if there are other approaches or options but I don't think there is an official Stegz product.
    Hoots likes this.
  10. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've asked the question on the FB page

But can see that the tank may be a problem
  11. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assumed that you'd need to come back off the frame somehow. But I'm guessing that it if was easy then someone would have done it by now.
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a response from FB - probably the bloke whose work you had seen ( @UTB )

But I like this - the exact position could be altered, or you could have a slide for adjustment

But seems simple and probably very functional ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    UTB likes this.
  13. VTwins4me

VTwins4me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a PR7 and a SWM RS500R. Totally different bikes.

The SWM is a fast & high revving engine, the PR7 is more sedate & torquey ,even with power up & Thork map.
    Both are fast if ridden to the engine characteristics.
    The PR7 holds more than 9.5L, however the safari tank on the 500 allows you to carry as little or as much as you want. The SWM suspension has not proved a problem over 4 years although I did uprate the rear spring to suit my bulk.
    I've uprated both the front & rear springs on the PR7.

The std PR7 silencer is heavy, the power up silencer noticeably lighter(and noisier). The single arrow for the 500 saves a few kilos (and is noisy) - I wonder if anybody can REALLY feel the difference?

Both are good bikes, in their own way. I wouldn't consider them competitors. Just my tuppence worth.
  14. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He was comparing the the SWM 500 to the new AJP 500....not the PR7.....:wink:
    Hoots likes this.
  15. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    @VTwins4me : my post was comparing the two new AJP enduro models (500 and 300) with the SWM RS500 and 300

The two 500s (AJP and SWM) and the two 300s (AJP and SWM) use a remake of the old Husky 310 and 510 motors

The two SWMs go further, with frame etc being virtualy identical to the old Huskies

The two AJPs seem to have been built from the ground up - using those remade engines

The comparison wasn't really on topic (i.e. this is a PR7 thread) but an interesting development from AJP - previously they had a PR3 and PR4 in the enduro segment, but these didn't really seem to have an obvious foothold - riffing off the SWMs buids the profile of both brands
  16. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My stegz knock offs have got a fair way out of shape in spills a couple of times....... don't think I'd be too keen on having them attached to the fuel tank!
    Hoots likes this.
  17. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did wonder about that - but the mount on one side is also the mount for exhaust bracket - presumably strong? - on the other side it seems to share the mount with the rear rack - again, presumably strong?

Wasn't sure whether thi plastic structure is the tank, or whether the tank is within?

Would need to see the bike itself
  18. zodillyicous

zodillyicous Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pictures are hard to make out but I would suspect the used the same mounts on bottom of gas tanks for both. I’d be cautious with that, like KTM mounting kickstand to engine. I don’t think there is any structure within gas tank for those, just 3 threaded inserts on each side. I don’t really see a good way to mount to frame as it’s all gas tank. Maybe some good 3M double sided tape to gas tank?
  19. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    These concerns are definitely valid - but find it hard to believe that AJP would have hung the exhaust off that mount if it wasn't reinforced substantially - if not, then by now there would surely have been a lot of fuel tank failures when bikes go down and the exhaust take a big hit ... ?

Agree that something like double-sided tape attaching the rubber thing directly to the side of the tank might also work Ok - enough strength for the (relatively small) amount of pressure that goes onto a StegPeg

Had also wondered also about some sort of grippy adhesive on the tank, which seems to have an inherent flare in about the right place - but you'd need to see the bike itself to judge that
  20. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AJP Australia website has been refreshed and is up and running again. There's minimal actual detail but I suppose its a step in the right direction.