AJP PR7 650. Single cyl factory built hard-Adv bike!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blakduk, Feb 25, 2015.

1. XRodders

XRodders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dealers are taking deposits for a batch of bikes coming in possibly by the end of the year or early into the new year
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  2. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have any details - like which dealers and how much the bike will be?
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  3. XRodders

XRodders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've only talked to MAD ADV in QLD that is an AJP dealer. At this stage it's unknown price and unknown delivery. Looks like they are going to cost a fair bit more than earlier models.
  4. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Is MAD still working from his old shed in his backyard in East Ipswich?
    XRodders likes this.
  5. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Queanbeyan place that was previously a dealer is going forward with it

Same message re' price and delivery date, but he's taing deposits
  6. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spoke to the guy in Queanbeyan about 6 months ago and he said he was taking deposits but couldn't confirm price or delivery - full refund no problem but it was just a place in the queue as and when.

Seemed like good people - but just having to work withing the available information.

I'm interested but it needs to be at a confirmed price at the very least.
  7. XRodders

XRodders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't claim the following as fact just what I make of it..
    Bikes are to be assembled for australia quite soon. Shipping costs aren't known yet hence the uncertainty in final pricing. Bikes are estimated to possibly be north of $17 000 PLUS on roads without the power up kit. Power up kit will be less than previous models as the ATHENA ECU doesn't need to be upgraded.
    UTB likes this.
  8. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's broadly what I was told at the start of the year. Going to be interesting to see how it plays out. I wonder if they're hoping to get some stock before the ABS requirements come in (assuming they apply - which I'm 95% convinced they would).
  9. VTwins4me

VTwins4me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bad for reading too quickly!

Ref you comment re early SWM's - my 2016 RS500 was built using some remaining Husqvarna parts
  10. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't say anything about early SWMs
  11. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    PR7 Update
    Thank you for your interest in the ALL NEW AJP PR7.

We have now confirmed our first order of ten bikes with the factory. It is anticipated that the bikes will be ready to leave Portugal late November with an expected arrival in Australia late February 2022.

Pricing has now also been confirmed and is available by contacting your nearest Dealer. A list of Dealers can be found here.

Of the first shipment of ten, one bike has already been sold and a deposit taken on another. We expect this shipment will sell quickly.

Finance options will be available with AJP MOTOS Australia.

All the best.

The team at
    AJP MOTOS Australia
    Suncoaster likes this.
  12. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found this hidden in the promotions tab on my Gmail account.

Will try and call one of the dealers later to see if they're prepared to reveal a price.
    PomInAus likes this.
  13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pricing has been revealed ...

They are $17,500 plus ORCs ... but the power-up kit is then another $1500, so that's $19,000 plus ORCs

With the KTM690 / Husky701 currently traveling at about $17,500 plus ORCs

Suspect at this price point (circa$20K ride-away) AJP will struggle to sell many
  14. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AJP seem to be really good at shooting themselves in the foot. The price is a joke......they'll be lucky to sell the first shipment of 10.
    Hoots likes this.
  15. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

They probably don't make the PR7 in large batches, have to keep the prices up to create some revenue.
    Buy a lot of them and maybe the price will drop :lol3
  16. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The brand might need to shift its marketing focus from 'interesting and well-priced aternative' to 'high-end niche'

Some other brands have done this in Aus

Sherco were a budget alternative to KTM, but are now the top-shelf thinking-man's enduro - with price tag to match

Ural have gone from hilarious quirky monster to a circa $30K luxury item

AJP could probably pull that off, but there wouldn't be any tolerance for residual issues - hopefully sorted in this latest model anyway ...

This thing really does look pretty spectacular

[​IMG]
    Farmer Roy, LeglessOne and XRodders like this.
  17. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I asked for an on-road cost and got quoted $17.5k (with a caveat around exchange rates and shipping).

It's easy to make a direct comparison with a 701 / 690 - and that's probably where my money is going to go but I think to be objective you have to acknowledge that amongst other things The PR7 comes with:

A rally tower / fairing
    A decent seat
    A tablet GPS
    Rally pegs

All of which you are going to have to buy for a 701/690 (add say $2-3k?)

Also from my researches the power up kit - which I understand is now just a pipe - isn't really a necessity.

I reckon I'm interested enough to keep persevering with my DR until I can test ride one and then see which way to jump. At the new price - I'm not enthused enough to pay a deposit when I've never seen one in the flesh as it were.
    XRodders and LeglessOne like this.
  18. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The problem is they are not "high end exotica" a la Bimota etc. They're just a nice design with an SWM motor. Given the problems these bikes have had and the lack of dealers/ backup.....the asking price is ridiculous.
    Don't get me wrong....I really like the bike and nearly bought one years ago after a test ride but decided to wait and see if they had any issues....:-).
    Hoots and Dr AT like this.
  19. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like Jack, I loved riding a pr7 but was scared off by the early model issues +/- local experiences with distributor support. So I bought an swm rs 650 - no longer available, but it's looking like an absolute bargain next to modern pr7 prices!!!!

adv ready safari tank +
    comfortable seat concepts seat +
    screen (aus built ) +
    decent bashplate (B+B) +
    useful rack +
    it even has a rear brake that can be used without melting your boot on the low slung pipes.....

It needs better forks to match a pr7, but the pr7 forks needed work anyway

admittedly the wheels aren't as sexy, but I got 2 sets at a very reasonable price when I bought the swm so can leave both knobbies and road trails perishing away in the covid storage shed.....
    jack82 likes this.
  20. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see the add now...

barn find swm rs650 - 2500 covid km.....needs new fuel pump because it gummed up from lack of use :(