AJP PR7 650. Single cyl factory built hard-Adv bike!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blakduk, Feb 25, 2015.

1. zodillyicous

zodillyicous Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone in the USA looking there is a cherry 2020 FS on FB marketplace in seattle. 2020 with upgrades and 600 miles under $9k. Not mine but it looks like Mark V’s old one.
  2. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Think you'll find more us folks in the other pr7 thread, this is regional/downunder...
  3. zodillyicous

zodillyicous Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bad…
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Mate... it's all revolving around the ONE central theme that just about EVERYONE in this thread has referred to from the outset... great purpose built and executed bike, a few minor new model teething niggles - let down by a less than adequate dealer/importer network (and that is NOT just in Australia that I am referring to).

As you say - five years on and not much has changed on the dealership front... a handful of die hard/enthusiastic owners around the globe have gotten the things pretty much sorted/dialed by having held the hands of the manufacturer and walking them through the teething problems.

If the dealer situation had of been better/improved - I'd have likely bought one back in 2017 as well... I was just musing about the passage of time; that's all. :wave
  5. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 701 is effectively identical to the 690 now (they were different concepts until recently) - you can still find new and near-new bikes on the web - CV19 has shut off travel, but another month and that will be much improved (vaccination)

Re' upgrades ... you need some wind protection, but do you need / want rally tower ... ? Definitely looks cool on the PR7, but I wouldn't be fitting an aftermarket tower to a 690/701 - huge cost, and just another thing to bugger up in a fall - I had a Hard Parts screen on my old 690, and that worked fine

Do need rally pegs and the various bike protection parts - agree that's probably approaching $1000

Seems that you also need an exhaust for the 690/701 - stock pipe gets crazy hot - not tenable - two local blokes have just got these bikes (a 690 and a 701) and both have immediately swapped out the pipe - with considerable annoyance - pipes were glowing hot - even in this cool spring weather (Canberra) ...
    UTB likes this.
  6. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not desperate to buy right now and I'm sure if I hunt around I can get sorted - but TBH I went to the LBS wanting to support them and have a nearby location in case of any issues - the whole experience left me just pissed off. It's not the end of the line - just a sign of the times I suppose.

WRT mods It's all up for discussion and it'll probably be piece by piece - but one of the things I'm keen on is a decent tower/ fairing so I can mount a tablet. Mainly for safety in terms of how easy it is to see my routes (but also because I fancy one). It's not essential but then what is?

Agree that I'll need to fall off less....... not sure how to deal with that one :lol3
    Hoots likes this.
  7. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And I'm a rally raid wannabee / fantasist.
    ErGuss, PomInAus and Hoots like this.
  8. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get your perspective, I had a deposit down for a PR7 in 2019 but delivery kept getting delayed and delayed. I’d sold a bike in prep so had nothing and couldn’t wait any longer. I ended up buying a CRF450L and have been messing with it since. Is it the PR7, probably not. Have I had any issues or worries with the bike, dealer or parts……nope. I’d still love the PR7 but at the price point now it just doesn’t feel like a good buy anymore
    UTB, troy safari carpente and Hoots like this.
  9. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The price increase has definitely made it a harder choice - but when I look at my options (which for reasons that I can't work out) are minimal - it still has to stay on the table.

I'm guessing that it isn't a big enough market globally for the big boys to look at it? Or maybe not a profitable segment?
  10. tomo8r

tomo8r PEACE! BREAD! LAND!

Oddometer:
    The people that want to do 700km+ days will buy the big twins.

The people that want to single track will get enduros.

The people that want to combine them will spend large in the after market.

And we will all bitch when we only get 4 out 5 things we want.

The only compromise with this bike is really the support.

If KTM did the same with a 690 and priced it at 17-18 large you think they'd have them sold before they left the boat.
  11. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Bronze those words, with a gold frame... then put them in a DHL express bag; and send the package to KTM HQ in Mattighofen - with instructions to mount the plaque up behind the big desk in the boardroom. :nod
  12. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And maybe send a copy to SWM. They could build a ripping PR7ish bike if they so desired. They're also running KYB suspension, Mikuni FI, and Brembo brakes on their enduro bikes now. :-)
    UTB, Hoots and troy safari carpente like this.
  13. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I came across this on Youtube which had informed my thinking quite a bit - given that I lean more to the Enduro rather than Adventure side of the scale

choutos and troy safari carpente like this.
  14. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    take that video with a grain of salt based on their riding ability / experience.

The " enduro" vs " adv" ergos they are talking about is more about how cramped / forward biased the riding position is. The ajp has an old husky style ergonomic ( think circo 2000 te 510 ) - stretched out between bars and pegs . So a shorter rider will feel uncomfortable, plus someone who only rides modern enduro bikes. If you grew up riding enduro last century or are over 6 foot tall, the ajp will feel fantastic and it absolutely flies under an old fart.
  15. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha ha...I fall squarely into all 3 categories :lol3 .
  16. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't find this - the PR7 I've sat on felt a bit like the old Husky TE630, but that wasn't an enduro

Overall, had the impression of an ADV setup

Lack of StegPegz would be a key thing for me - the only solution that seem to have been used involves an attachment to the tank - the exhaust is already attached there, but even so ...
    UTB likes this.
  17. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    When ridden, it has that old stretched out euro feel - more so than a te630 ( or at least my swm rs650) .

I prefer the ajp ergos , great for those of us who ride through our feet rather than " attacking" with the front wheel. I'd go so far as to say I'm faster on an ajp than I ever was on my 640 adv or my swm rs650 - but we're splitting hairs on bald heads now
    Cruz likes this.