AJP PR7 650. Single cyl factory built hard Adv bike!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BigDuck, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    _20180518_074554.JPG
    Wodger63 and GelandeRoadie like this.
  2. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20180507_234837.jpg
    Bturner26x, Duljan, Noely and 3 others like this.
  3. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Works like a treat... the best of both worlds... rally and touring
    UncleGra likes this.
  4. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Great fun..I make up my own...gives my tired brain something to do.. DSCN1210.JPG
    Bturner26x, john_aero, Noely and 4 others like this.
  5. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:

And that's why my 800 XCx will be getting a birthday and shortly afterwards a for sale sign.
    I have a plan, hope there is still a PR7 at the end of the rainbow for me. Even though it's considerably more than the SWM, it's the only bike that tickles my balls!
  6. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20180601_195624.jpg
    Ball tickling in progress...
    loganlexow, Bturner26x, Noely and 4 others like this.
  7. jack82

jack82 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed...…..the PR7 is the only bike that's peaked my interest in the last 12 months. I still think it's a bit overpriced for what it is but I'll probably end up buying one anyway.....:-)
    TruckerDJ and Tenerrod like this.
  8. Jim2008

Jim2008 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone here do a comparison between the PR7 and a XR650R as far as comfort , ergo’s and performance?
    Bturner26x likes this.
  9. jack82

jack82 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned and loved the XR650 but have only test ridden the PR7. I think the ergos and comfort are a bit better on the PR7.It feels a bit roomier,more comfy seat, and a bit smoother running.(I'm 6ft 1.....95kg) Does'nt have the mumbo of the XR but has enough to be a good fun ride. I'll probably end up getting one.
  10. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Have not ridden them "back to back"... but...

Comfort (long time since I rode a stock standard tanked XR650R) but I would definately say the PR7 saddle was a bit firmer, the suspension slightly stiffer and the handlebar/seat/peg position (that's "ergos" - isn't it?) a more contemporary (modern) enduro/mx bike layout - than the 20 "something" year old design/feel of the XR.

Engine vibration wise - someone who can put both alongside one another will have to comment - but I did not find the PR7 annoying at all when I rode it last spring here in Sweden on three different occassions.

Ergo's... as I said originally (and above) the PR7 has a more modern ergo's feel... You sit "on" a PR7 - aboard the tank/seat junction (which personally I like) as opposed to the slightly more "sit in" feel of the XR... but again, it was indicitive of it's time/desgn... and the XR650R is by no means a "bum bucket" tourer... but as far as agressive off road cornering/up on the pegs trailwork goes... the PR7 has a little more "enduro" bike feel than the XR.

Performance... again - back to back comparo would be the best - but (to be honest) finding a "stock" XR 650R to be had in this day and age would be a "rose coloured glasses" excercise... and truth be told - only the "hop up kit" PR7 is the motor worth discussing, if "performance" is the topic at hand.

So; the PR7 with the engine ecu, airbox/exhaust factory mod kit installed, is an awesome linear and respectfully powerful powerplant... with an electric leg.

The XR650R - as I recall - was a powerful/robust powerplant with plenty of grunt/torque just about everywhere - once it was sorted from stock... without an electric leg.

The PR7 is - what I would hope the CRF450L can be... once the de-restricted bits are off, and a bit more fuel on board... only it is from the Japanese not Portuguese...

The XR650R was one (of two) of the best bikes of its type (along with the KLX 650R) back in it's day... and is still a damned fine bike if you have a well taken care of example.

The PR7 can be had new from the showroom... a good (but harder to find?) XR650R can only be found on Gumtree or similar...
    hockeyrick and Jim2008 like this.
  11. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    Anyone experience shocking on off throttle and hunting / surging at 35Kph in second and 40-45kph in third ?
  12. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20180601_122851.jpg
    Please note the PR7 ocasionally has trouble finding traction, which is a damn shame as i really believed this motorcycle would be the antidote for my proclivity to confuse ambition with talent...
  13. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've noticed on rare ocasions that if you try to keep to a constant low/medium rpm and the engine is still not very well warmed up, the throttle can hunt a bit. Once fully warm (15+ minutes) never experienced it.

Please note i run with the power up kit
  14. Jim2008

Jim2008 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers for the good info, if it has atleast the grunt of the 650r (with the performance kit) with modern handling I think it could be a winner.
    I recall riding a te610 some time ago and being very underwhelmed by the performance of it.

Has anyone been doing consecutive long days on their PR7’s , how have you found it?
  15. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'd like to hear from some iron butt candidates on a PR7 too.
  16. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    So changing the bike from power pack on to power pack off doesn't make any difference with the throttle response issues. Perhaps something else is a miss ?
    Test bike was as smooth as a babies...... But our new one, un-rideable in traffic trying to lane split safely at 30-40kph.

One would think that the ECU would learn fairly quickly, Could the TPS be out of adjustment, or the exhaust sensor be not working ?
  17. lurkin

lurkin Long timer

Oddometer:
    On their website there is only 1 dealer within nsw , ( actually act ) is that still correct ?
  18. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    @Hodgo I'd start with simply reflashing the ECU with latest version. Unfortunately that means a trip to the shop.
    If it was a Triumph I'd say stepper motor.

On a different point, l wonder if when they put ABS on this bike for the countries that require it whether we will be able to get a non ABS version?
    I'm guessing no due to low production volumes. I might need to get in quick.
    Bturner26x likes this.
  19. dunc

dunc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    abs
    theres a change a happening
    Motorcycle ABS legislation in a nutshell…
    • All new motorcycle models sold in Australia from 2019 must have ABS.
    • All previous generation motorcycles sold in Australia must have ABS by 2021.
    • This means popular machines like DR650 must have ABS by 2021 or be phased out.
    • Enduro and Trials Motorcycles are exempted.
    • Trailbikes with a 21″ front and designed primarily for off-road use and with no pillion capability are also exempted.
    • Adventure Motorcycles can have switchable ABS but it must default to on.
    • There is no pending legislation for mandatory traction control.
    • There are no requirements for retro-fitment of ABS to secondhand motorcycles.
    edit : this is a very short version of the new rules
    look them up by aus rules its lengthy and
    confusing somewhat
  20. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's very interesting, thanks Dunc.