1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

AJP PR7 650. Single cyl factory built hard-Adv bike!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blakduk, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't you see I've almost used half a tank this year? :dunno
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I did say that the "Husky" donk does a good job as the powerplant... I was merely musing that IF Suzuki were to acquire AJP or start supplying them with motors for the PR7, that the existing DR 650 engine would require an update in order to be considered.

Diamond coated eh... ? I wonder if they do a nice ruby clasp for the joining link too... :lol3

BMW have had "maintenance free" shaft drives for years... :1drink
    Big Willy likes this.
  3. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Shaft drive is great no question but if you want to put horsepower to the ground, you can't go past chain on motorbikes. Just look at Motogp and Drag bikes

That's why BMW have been happy to use shaftdrive all these years :hide
    gavo and Kiwirich like this.
  4. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Anyone up with AJP Australia still?
    Are they still importing the PR7 and more importantly the updated version?
    I'm still over a year away from buying a new bike but if l had my choice right now, the PR7 would be my pick over the T7 for what l need and want. Can't afford anything more.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  5. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:

facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/579175318939070/
    Also a private owners FB page goes more in detail of issues with the bike
  6. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    The other site here gets more input, for whatever reason
  7. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to the horse's mouth - just call the number on their website ...
  8. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    The horses mouth is member to the pages i said
  9. kelvyn

kelvyn KTM AdventureR

Oddometer:
    Was there any update on the MYK lights?

I’ve translated the site in safari but see no information about AJP.

https://www.mayaklab.ru/
  10. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got this lighting kit (LED lights + aluminum bracket) for around 200 euros here in Portugal ...brilliant stuff!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Bonnie & Clyde, sbn and kelvyn like this.
  11. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are the brakes on this machine for road riding? Is it a big problem that it has no ABS?
  12. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do know that for the vast majority of the existence of motorcycles there was no ABS?
    gavo, Tenerrod, Farmer Roy and 2 others like this.
  13. sanvara

sanvara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it is for me an advantage I do not need to spend time / money to fully disconnect the abs as in other bikes. It is a very light machine. No abs =no problems besides more safety offroad (at least for me)
    sbn likes this.
  14. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I know. But I have only owned bikes with abs.
  15. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

The only difference is that you have to learn a new skill, how to brake hard without locking the wheels.
    sbn likes this.
  16. Farmer Roy

Farmer Roy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interestingly, I’ve had a motorcycle licence for 37 or something years & have never ridden a bike with ABS . . .
    buckscreek, sanvara, darren70 and 2 others like this.
  17. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're smart. Or lucky. Or both. I keep telling myself my next bike will have ABS but that still happened yet. ABS will stop your bike shorter than almost anyone can without, and then only in limited situations. And then only when that highly skilled and practised rider is ready for that threshhold braking episode. In the real world of public roads, ABS is always of benefit. Off road and in slippery conditions, you need to remember to switch off (or into off road) your ABS.
    sbn likes this.
  18. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Back when I took the bike license threshold braking (90km/h and slower) was a mandatory part to be learned - I wonder if that’s still the case considering abs being all-present these days?
  19. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No idea where you did your "license" test (although USA is the only part of the English speaking world using that French spelling), but I'm not aware of anywhere in North America testing riders at anywhere close to threshold braking. Practicing threshold braking (plus other maneuvers at close to the envelope) is an excellent idea at least once a year, ABS or no. I recall reading some shocking statistic regarding the percentage of car (and especially pick-em-up and yuppie 4) drivers who had rear-ended another vehicle simply for want of pushing harder on the brake pedal. "You could have avoided this crash if you had simply pressed harder on the brake pedal". When questioned, said drivers responded that they didn't think they "could" or "should" push harder on the brake pedal; that that level of deceleration was so far outside their comfort zone. So, plenty of ( mostly minor ) crashes could have been prevented simply by the driver having experienced how hard their car can brake, before the emergency happened. On a bike, the consequences of such a collision are far greater, ergo it's a really good idea to get out there and practice. Even with ABS, you should practice full out panic stops since you can still fall down without locking up either wheel.
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  20. appleseed

appleseed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Europe and the UK part of the current motorcycle test is a controller emergency stop from 50 kph that requires the manoeuvre ends within a "box", yes abs can help but I believe the manoeuvre requires that the brakes are applied vigorously so does “teach” riders to understand the limits of their braking system.
    Tomdog likes this.