1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Ajp pr7

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tiago, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Yes
  2. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good!
  3. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    Erik-here are the pics of Nick's, skidplate, gonna take mine to my local guy to see if he can add to mine, cheaper than buying a new one if available, some of this stuff is pretty pricey

Attached Files:

Rotax655 likes this.
  4. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Cool thanx
  5. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Just a thought on the beefing up the exhaust protection. A friend of mine raced a fully rally bike for a couple of years with the low run exhaust like the AJP. They had exhaust crunch issues as well. They wound up welding on a cut in half section of exhaust pipe along the area needing protection to "double the thickness" of the exhaust sections to strengthen it as well as skid plate protection that you guys are already working on.

does that make sense?
    BergDonk and ebrew like this.
  6. High_Country

High_Country Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the underside of the air box on a 2020. This little baffle plate comes out. It appears to hold the front edge of the filter down and perhaps serves to direct air up and over the baffle - maybe to reduce intake noise, mitigate water ingestion(?), or....?
    Was curious if anyone knew for sure OR if there was any performance to be gained by trimming it down to open the throat of the box. IMG_20200815_151358.jpg IMG_20200815_151409.jpg IMG_20200815_151415~2.jpg
  7. High_Country

Oddometer:
    Spent four days on the trails around Woodland Park, Colorado. Had a blast alonng with a few get-off's. I now have radiator guards on the way from Chris Kirk.
    Bike did well on the tight single track but was definitely heavier feeling than the ol' WR250F. It's got a whole different balance to it - feels like it needs more weight over the rear (luggage perhaps!) as I was playing around with my seating and standing position and it handled much better when I was back further.
    We rode a lot of tight single track/ATV only trails. Power was good and it was fun to drift out of the turns. The rear tire is NOT going to last long.
    Also ran the road up Pikes Peak. The seat is great for longer distance and the electronics/GPS worked pretty well.
    IMG_20200811_194256.jpg IMG_20200811_194239.jpg IMG_20200811_194309.jpg IMG_20200811_194329.jpg
  8. appleseed

appleseed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some people have suggested that opening up the gap to the second longer marking line on bikes with the power up kit helps reduces the jerky on/off low throttle behaviour, I tried it on mine but I don’t think it made an appreciable difference.

My dealer also mentioned that it should be opened to the second line, I don’t know if this a directive from the factory though or their own observation as they checked it when they were remapping mine and noticed that I had already done mine.

I think worst case the induction noise will be higher, havent notice that to be true with mine.
    hockeyrick and High_Country like this.
  9. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets.

Oddometer:
    I just got an email from Jeff Schlagel at AJPUSA in response to a tech question I had asked about the rear brake cylinder, which I have been having some problems with. He said that the AJP factory told him that all work from now on had to be done by the dealer I bought it from. I've done all the work on it myself so far, so I am not sure if he is saying I can't work on it any more or it will cause a warranty problem, or if I have to do any warranty work at the dealer I bought it from.... either way, they are wrong. I emailed him to clarify, but no response yet.

They cannot mandate that. Federal law says you can do work yourself on the bike (or a car) and it won't invalidate the warranty, and their own warranty book says that you can take it to ANY AJP dealer for warranty work. The dealer I bought it from is a 9 hour drive. There is another dealer (only) 4 hours away. What if someone bought a bike and then moved across country during the warranty period? Do they really expect that person to take it back across the country to the dealer they bought it from.

So far the warranty on this bike has been worthless. The closest dealer, in Maryland, doesn't even return calls.
  10. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    yeah, good luck, I contacted many dealers and not a 1 returned anything. DIY, coming from a guy in Mexico!
    Brett737cap likes this.
  11. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    Thankfully I’ve got a decent mechanical abilities and I learn quickly. I’ll bet the dealers have had problems being reimbursed by the factory so they don’t want to deal with warranty work. Usually dealers jump at warranty work because it’s a sure thing.
    hockeyrick likes this.
  12. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lack of dealer support/warranty coverage and parts support are a big detraction to buying a bike from a niche manufacturer like AJP.
    Brett737cap and hockeyrick like this.
  13. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    Very well said. I love riding the bike, but that is a big problem. I like to call it my orphan.
  14. High_Country

Oddometer:
    Kind of disappointing to hear the lack of dealer support for those that have a local dealer. Would be interesting to know why (lack of manufacturer support to dealers, or...?).
    I still think the bike is a great VALUE and very unique in the market. You get a lot of bang for your buck compared to the price of other machines out there. You could CREATE something similar yourself (like a Husky 701 with a rally kit and a bunch of mods) but you'd spend thousands more. And, you'd likely void a lot of your warranty with the extensive modifications. WHICH if you're doing that kind of work on a bike, you probably don't care about the dealer anyways.
    These are pretty simple and MOSTLY mechanical machines. No traction control or ABS systems and a fairly simple tablet interface (which could be ditched or replaced if desired).
    If you are not the kind of rider who enjoys wrenching on and modifying your bikes yourself, this is probably not the right answer. If you have to or need to take your bike to the shop to have your oil changed or your chain tension adjusted or to tweak the brakes, this is not the bike for you. (That's not a criticism of people that take their bike to the shop, mind you.) If you're not willing to add turn signals or change sprockets and chains yourself, maybe look elsewhere.
    The closest dealer to me is 11 hours away so I don't see ever going back unless something just catastrophic happens. Yes, it would be a comfort knowing I had a dealer down the street, but I would likely never go there.
  15. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Have you ever ordered a ktm part that’s not in stock
    I have waited weeks for them
    Or Ducati parts lol .......
    This bike is not for everyone for sure.
    Brett737cap and High_Country like this.
  16. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    True, it is a good value for what you get. I looked at a 701 but would've had to put AT LEAST $4000 into it, on top of the purchase price, to get what I have now. I bought the AJP because it is the foil to my GS... A simple, light machine that I can roost around but still go places comfortably on.

I'm not saying I don't like the bike. It has its issues at times, but I like it all the same. I just got back from a 4 hour ride on all the dirt/gravel roads and trails around where I live and I loved every minute of it. And I don't have a problem wrenching on it myself, even though I am not the best mechanic... I do, I make mistakes, and I and learn. I actually enjoy the problem-solving process.

The only thing I was saying is that AJP seems to either not understand the warranty process in the US, or is trying to wriggle out of fixing things that are not right. While I don't mind working on things myself, if its a more expensive thing that isn't right, of course I am going to want it fixed under warranty. As much as I would like them to, they are not going to just send me the parts for free under warranty because I say its not right. They want their dealer to confirm that something is wrong. And if you can't get dealers to even talk to you, you can't get the warranty service. That is my only real gripe. I hope they are able to overcome that, because I really want them to succeed in the US.
    High_Country likes this.
  17. High_Country

Oddometer:
    Well said. It would be good to hear some context or explanation from dealers/distributors here to understand what's going on.
    I agree it would be a key factor in the growth and sustainability of the product here.
    It could just be this is the difference between a more boutique brand vs a global powerhouse brand with a lot of infrastructure.
  18. zodillyicous

zodillyicous Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been pleased with my local dealer. Small dealership but he carries quite a few smaller brands (beta being the largest.) Lucky enough to have a 2nd dealer within an hour that I haven’t visited yet.

Parts are reasonably priced and don’t take too long... but I do miss going online for the quick search, order, & delivery.
    Brett737cap likes this.
  19. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i was between the 701 and PR7 also, unlitmately i went with the 701. i dont mean to steer off topic, but 4k is alot of money, wondering what your list was.
    Brett737cap likes this.
  20. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Hold more fuel -
    Wind protection - lighting
    Skid plate
    GPS
    Seat
    And other stuff per taste
    sanvara, hockeyrick and rvsparky like this.