Ajp pr7

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tiago, Sep 30, 2014.

1. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree that the AJP is a great value proposition compared to adventurizing a 690/701. Even if you buy a used 690/701 for $5-6000, you can easily double that price setting it up for ADV use, at that point you've spent more than buying the AJP brand new. Hell, used 690/701 that are already set up as ADV bikes can cost almost as much as a brand new AJP.

I pretty much do all the work on bikes myself, but part of buying a bike brand new is having a warranty and having the choice to not have to work on it myself if I don't want to. Particularly if it's something expensive that's broken. However, given that the only dealer is 3 hours away from me, each way, it'd take a really expensive/broken bit to make me travel to the dealer for warranty support...
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    I dunno, i have a bit under 2k in making my 701 match the PR7.

Everything else i've done i would have done to the PR7 also

Not stirring the pot here, jist conversatin'
  3. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    $2000 is cheap to add larger fuel tanks, fairing, windscreen, bigger foot pegs, upgraded suspension, etc, etc.
  4. appleseed

appleseed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hate to say this but 690's are currently (almost a grand) cheaper in the UK than the PR7 so getting an arguably comparable/better bike might be doable atm.
    :amazon
  5. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    Your not being fair, rally type screen and extra fuel is all the 701 needs to match the PR7, all the other stuff you mention is addons to ANY bike.

in that 2k i even included the seat concepts upgrade, more than fair on my comparison.

Just to be fair on my side i AM saying the 701 needs to match the PR7, AJP provides a great bike at a great value here, i aint knockin it.

I think its a healthy conversation and comparison because they are so closely matched, and really, ktm should have a bigger tank and screen from the factory, it really should be a modern 640 adv rather than a big dirtbike, or whatever it is.

I remember when the 640a was out, it was the ONLY bike in its class. That trophy goes to the PR7 now.
  6. High_Country

High_Country Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's interesting for sure, but my perspective and comment is more about the US market. In the states, the 2020 690's are $11,899 vs the 2020 PR7 at $10,099 (MSRP's).
    Of course, I understand there are no more 2020 AJP's left....so it's an academic discussion.
    Would I ride a 701/690? Yup!
    Do I think the AJP is a better value? Yup!
  7. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure I am! The AJP has 300mm of travel, to match that the 690/701 needs suspension work. Plus the fairing/windscreen and bigger fuel tank.

I do agree with you about the 640A, I sorely miss my old one and wish I'd never sold it. I never understood why KTM never made a 690A, especially since they already had almost all the parts necessary to build them sitting in parts bins...
  8. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    ahh yes, i was forgetting the 300mm travel and the current crop of euro trash is down to 250mm.

i didnt include money i spent on suspension because i'm quit happy at 275mm, dont see a need to go up to 300, but glad i'm not at 250. so i guess in that case i wouldnt factor it in since i'd be doing the same work on the AJP i did on mine. but for folks wanting 300mm it would be an investement for sure.

ive certainly put more than 2k into my bike, but its stuff i'd be doing to any bike, susp, exhaust, mirrors, scotts ect, ect, ect. bikes arent a cheap hobby.

and dang man, werent we all just 100% positive the 690a was going to happen when they stopped producing the 640? i know i did and even sold one of my 640's back then to get a 690a. so bummed it didnt happen.
  9. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets.

Oddometer:
    The most expensive thing was one of the several rally kits out there. I like the full windscreen and cockpit, like the PR7 has. It makes long pavement slogs much more tolerable. Not all my rides can be like this! F3E192A4-2B5E-419B-BCAA-637EB15587D0.jpeg
    Bonnie & Clyde, 2 SPOT and ebrew like this.
  10. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    845C5945-697C-4216-9615-BFD5E4CB05CB.jpeg EF6A4DA8-48ED-4EA0-AF50-458541DA3C8D.jpeg 690 rear sprocket and new longer chain ( up three in the rear )
    Needed in the tighter stuff for sure

Just had to do the Unicorn magical colors :)
    Yes the chain is not adjusted yet
  11. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    At any given point there's one or two kitted out, low mileage 701 or 690's on the market within 500 miles of most of us, often at less than $10k. THAT's what really makes the smile droop over owning a PR7, as cool as it is. And the parts are really easy to get, both OEM and aftermarket.
    Brett737cap and ebrew like this.
  12. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    There’s a sweet one in the flea market now :) really lovely makes me feel funny

I still got this for no ABS no Traction control no nothing really :) just what you need
    I can have the air filter changed in two mins
    Top of the bike ( plastic ) off in really 5 mins it’s dirt bike easy
    It’s a pretty neat the way they thought about it
    Still it’s a limited production bike but hey I have a magical sprocket now so nothing will ever go wrong .........
    sanvara and hockeyrick like this.
  13. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    yeah, part of my decision to go with the 701 was that i found the last 2019 and got a good price. only abs, non of the other stuff and taller suspension. no date on when the PR7 was going to get here and i'm impatient once i make up my mind, so husky it was.

the dealer network, warantee, ect. isnt much of a decision maker for me as i live a couple hrs away from a mechanic let alone a dealer, so i'm doing my own work either way.

woulda been cool to have a PR7, like it was cool to have an ATK 605 in the day. just something different.

i want a magical sprocket
    hockeyrick and ebrew like this.
  14. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Had a 605 and a 260lq :)
    Nice !!!!!
    2 SPOT likes this.
  15. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    I miss my ol 605, was a fun bike to ride, especially after the CRF fork conversion, even made wheel spacers to keep the talon hub
    Rot Box and ebrew like this.
  16. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there's a nicely setup up 690 in San Diego listed here for *cheap*. Has me very tempted, then there's another one on here in Minnesota. That's a tough choice between an ADV setup 690/701 vs an AJP.

I was positive KTM would eventually release a 690Adv, they have all the parts already. Was so disappointed they never did...
  17. ghostridergary

ghostridergary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well my ha’porth worth ..... I’ve currently got an old Africa Twin, 640 Adventure, 525 EXC RFS and 450 EXC RFS...... all 15+ year old bikes now but still love the simplicity of the RFSs and 640........whenever we’re on a long trip with 701/690s people always look at the 640 and are jealous of the kickstart, carb and lack of electronics....... I had a 2008 690 which was great but boy, when they go wrong do they go wrong! Spent a year trying to work out what was wrong with mine after it had run fine for 10,000 miles.

So never had a new bike and decided to treat myself...... I’m not into hardcore enduro or massive tarmac stretches..... I like “adventure travel”, 2-3 weeks riding the trails, wild camping, that sort of thing. What attracts me to this bike:

- simplicity .... Back to basics.... no ABS, traction control, side stand sensors..... all this stuff is just electronics to go wrong (my lesson from the 690!). The tablet is an great addition but if it breaks it doesn’t matter to the running of the bike
    - weight ... we all know less is more and 145kg is amazing when you consider nav tower/screen, cush, tank size, tablet
    - reliability .... it’s been around a few years now so most gremlins have been fixed. Plus the engine is not new but a well known thumper in a range of current bikes which hopefully means spares etc should be a non-issue
    - attention to detail ..... everything on this bike looks like it has has been well thought through

My only negative is that exhaust looks a bit exposed but nothing a hefty bit of ally won’t solve.....

I had hoped KTM might develop something like this but instead we got the 790...... so placed my order for the 2021 PR7 but looks like I have to wait till November....... when I find out they’ve decided to fit dual discs, ABS, traction control and it weighs 200kg!
    BergDonk likes this.
  18. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    wait,, what?
  19. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    I think that’s a joke :)
  20. 2 SPOT

Oddometer: