Ajp pr7

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tiago, Sep 30, 2014.

1. sanvara

sanvara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have you been able to make the husqv 701 as comfortable as the AJP PR7? in my opinion it is not just a matter of the seat, but also ergonomics; for me the AJP has perfect ergonomics
    Brett737cap likes this.
  2. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets.

Oddometer:
    You got that right! I just came off riding my PR7 on a 4-day on/off road trip and now I’m on day 3 of a trip on my GS and my upper back is killing me. I had no upper back pain at all on the PR7. It started on day 1 on the GS. I think it’s from having my arms “stretched” out in front of me on the Gs, versus being closer to the bars on the PR7. If I hadn’t had to make good time on the interstates for 1600 miles I would’ve taken the PR7 on this trip.
    sanvara and rvsparky like this.
  3. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    I needed a bit of height on my bars to be able to stand up and ride off road.
    Wish I had just a touch more leg room but no big deal
    Might get a seat made at some point for just a touch more room
    Brett737cap likes this.
  4. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I testrode the Pr7 offroad, both the stock version and the de-restricted one.
    I actually liked the stock, very smooth. The de-restricted was too loud for me, and had a bit more on/off feeling.

To me (tall rider) the ergonomics is really cramped. The cockpit ect is fine, but the distance between footpegs and seat is really cramped, so I feel like i sit with my knees up in front of me. So not much legroom for me either.
    It didnt seem like the was a ton of room to lower the right footpeg with the way the pipe is routed.
    I have lower footpegs and higher seat on everything I ride, but im sure the distance is between footpegs and seat is taller on my wr250r stock.
  5. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    wow, how do i answer that?

i have very limited time on a PR7, but i do have time on it. how i remember it, the seat was noticeably more plush, but like you said, ergonomics is more than a seat,,, it seemed like the footpegs to seat distance was similar, but the pegs felt a bit more forward. the grips felt like they were in a similar position if a touch higher. when i stood up the bars felt higher because the pegs were forward so it puts you over the bars with out having to reach.

i would say the PR7 has more rally inspired ergos, where the 701 has more trail or traditional dirtbike ergos.

i remember the PR7 felt longer and slower to turn into tight stuff maybe fork rake or offset there? it doesnt care if you plow through stuff, it wants to go fast and it wants to go straight. it was pretty flickable, but it didnt really want to be flicked, it wanted to be steered. it really responded well to peg weight and throttle. it was easy enough to loft the front wheel, but it felt like it wanted to stay on the ground,,, it was well planted and felt very inspiring that way.

the PR7, to me, feels like the guys at AJP had a very specific goal with this bike, and that was to create a rally ready ride or a rally inspired ride. and i'd say they did a very good job of it.

in comparison, and again i have ALOT more time on a 701 so its hard, but ive said it before and i'll say it again, the 701 feels to me to be the truest sense of a dual sport motorcycle.

i find it to be equally happy at speed as i do off road, but not great at either extreme, it really shines in that crossover area. it turns in aggresively, its flickable and likes to be kicked around with your whole body input, you can drop the handlebars in a tight turn, then just yank the bike back up with upper body input alone.

i find the pegs to be in that more traditional or neutral spot so your weight is back off the front, the front end is light feeling, when i first rode it it felt like it had power steering or something, its that light. i havent had any trouble with the tire pushing on gravel, and its not unstable at all at any seed, so geometry is definately different than the PR7.

on the hiway, for a single, i have no complaints. it doesnt cruise all day like my 990a does, but if you expect that your going to be disapointed. i do find though that my middle/upper back isnt getting sore like on the 990, less reach to the bars is all i can think of. i have a seat conepts seat on the 701 and its surpsingly comfortable, again, for what it is.

i raised the bars 15mm out of nessecity with a scotts install, and it turned out to be phenominal. the bars are still low enough i can get on top of them off road, but be in a comfy spot standing. i had them at 30mm at first, and it was real nice for standing but it suffered off road enough to be noticeable.

i guess in summary i'd say that i could be equally happy with either bike, as they are very similar but just different enough to notice, different riding styles might favor one bike over another, but i dont think they differ enough to make a hill of beans for the intention of use, since we are all using them in a similar, dual sport, camping, general riding way instead of very specific push to the limit way.

those are my thoughts, i would like to spend more time on the PR7, but i'm happy with my bike.
  6. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing to note between a 690/701 and the PR7 is seat height. I can basically flat foot a PR7 and I can't come close to doing that on a 690/701...

For reference I'm about 6' tall with a 31.5" inseam.
    sanvara and Glenn247 like this.
  7. ghostridergary

ghostridergary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep..... sorry ..... just a joke...... my (UK) dealer says they’ve just changed the rear brake hose, swapped the ecu to an Athena unit and provided a more modern tablet
    Bonnie & Clyde and 2 SPOT like this.
  8. appleseed

appleseed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonder if the Athena ECU will work on the Delphi models (be a bit annoying for all the folks that ponied up for the Throk ECU if if does).

Might also be nice to swap to the newer tablet if the cost of it and the new holder is cost effective.
  9. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets.

Oddometer:
    I added the BRP riser to mine to accommodate the dampener and the Chris Kirk link. It definitely made a positive difference.
    ebrew likes this.
  10. sanvara

sanvara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great day toda in Spain with my AJP PR7; btw about seat high I am jus 1,65 m aprox and I can manage the AJP seat high; KTM690 was more difficult for me and husky 701 next to impossible

Attached Files:

OzCRU likes this.
  11. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    05353FD5-2FDE-497C-AED7-369BC3FD63CE.jpeg Fun stuff drops tomorrow:)
    Love a project
  12. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Your future must be getting brighter
    2 SPOT likes this.
  13. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    lol
    :) it’s true
  14. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Can you provide more info on this stuff please ?
    appleseed and hockeyrick like this.
  15. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

16. High_Country

High_Country Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you made your own brackets for the lights. Yes?
  17. VTwins4me

VTwins4me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting... how tall are you? (I'm 6'3" (1.91m) and don't find my legs cramped. Have had several 8 hour days without issue.)
    hockeyrick likes this.
  18. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    Yes, another guy in Australia, if you scroll up made it for BD Squadron lights, if interested PM me and I have the PDF for it
  19. ghostridergary

ghostridergary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi ebrew

Sorry no more info that that - it wasn't official but just what he'd heard. As I understand it, the rear brake hose now has a wider bore - some people had apparently already made this mod themselves.
  20. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats great!! =)
    Im 200cm, I think that's 6'7"