Ajp pr7

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tiago, Sep 30, 2014.

1. LoRZo

LoRZo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My last video,
    Discovering Spain by the Trans Euro Trail

2. LoRZo

LoRZo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last country visited during my summer trip :

Portugal, what an amazing country, nice people, great off-road riding, good food and beautiful landscape and cities to discover!!!

ebrew, overlander, BergDonk and 3 others like this.
  3. LoRZo

LoRZo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello there,

Riding an AJP PR7 is to me make the choice riding with different motorcycle than we used to have.

After 34000 km this year with mine.
    I'll tell you what's going well and bad and if the equipment I use is good for me

sanvara, richeyroo, OzCRU and 6 others like this.
  4. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Thinking about buying the ajp pr7 next year. Im torn between the pr7, crf450L, ktm 690/husky 701. I wasn't really interested in the pr7 because it wasnt offered in my country, but now it is. So now it's on top of my list.
    Anyone else here who was considering the same bikes before buying the pr7? What made you deside on the pr7?
    What I really like is that you get a bike with windshield, a thing I would have to do if I was buying any of the other bikes. Its the cheapest between all of them, at least in my country.

Whatever bike I buy I will buy the mosko moto reckless 80, but which tankbag do you guys use with the pr7?
  5. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Begin by asking yourself how small bike you need, it’s really 450L vs 690/701/pr7 - different horses and all that.
    When it comes to riding on tarmac the extra ~20hp the 690/701 has over the pr7 leads to more fun.
    As for windshield, depending on size you might want to have a frame mounted one to avoid steering input due to the wind, or maybe you’re ok with just a small screen?

Finally, since you consider the 450L you might as well think about the 500exc, it’s cheaper, lighter, more powerful and has the same maintenance interval.
    sbn likes this.
  6. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    I ride my PR on the road and it’s got more than enough power. It’s still just a big thumper
    All the bikes you list are great
    Bonnie & Clyde and sbn like this.
  7. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want a thumper. Like single cylinder bikes. Have had many others but I always miss my g650gs Sertao. Used that mostly on road and the next bike will be the same. Mostly road everyday commuting, weekend trips to Sweden on gravel roads.

The 690 and 701 are really great bikes. But here they a more expensive than the pr7. The 690/701 and 450L are all the same price here. The more power is not a concern. I found my Sertao powerfull enough. And with the power up kit on the pr7 it will have more than the Sertao.

Sounds like Im talking myself into a pr7 :lol3:lol3:lol3
  8. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a crf450L but have considered a pr7 too. For me it came to down to weight and manufacturer network. Also I have another bigger bike. The PR7 may have won it if it was going to be my only bike.
    sbn likes this.
  9. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    If your doing lots of road miles and you are going to service your own bike working on the PR is pretty easy. No ABS No traction control..... The body work is a snap to pull off

If that makes a difference
    sbn likes this.
  10. erbe

erbe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CRF will be the most capable offroad bike due to low weight and geometry. I would be careful about it if you wish to spend most time on tarmac. The low weight will be a downside here and great suspension which you are paying for is useless. Not to mention 1000km oil change interval.

690/701 will be most fun on tarmac. As mentioned those have most power. It's a well known secret that this engine is developed for road use and it has not the most appropriate clutch for more offroad. Rather easy to burn it up. Hands up who has 690, uses it seriously offroad and haven't burn their clutch yet, please :jack. But on the road its not a problem. It's a pretty naked bike. There is a lot of aftermarket stuff for it, you can make it into anything you want, but to bring it up-to-par to stock PR7 (tower with windshield, pegs, suspension, fuel tank, etc) I would say it's somewhere between 3-6k euros

PR7 is fantastic bike for offroad touring. It likes faster riding, the slow stuff not so much because of turning angle, high center of gravity (because of 300mm suspension) and relatively higher weight for serious offroad stuff. But overall it's a great machine. You should be prepared to do most of the maintenance yourself and look for consumables compatible from another bikes. It's not so prompt to get stuff from dealers. But all the consumables are compatible, you'll just have to do a little digging. On the other hand AJP is really working hard on this bike and every year they make quite a few upgrades and solve existing issues.

I like my PR7 very much and I am convinced for the stuff I want to ride, there is no better bike out there. Good luck with your decision.
    Sbends and ebrew like this.
  11. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It does make a difference. I will be doing most of the service myself, Thanks.

Thank you. I have a feeling, the pr7 will be the best bike for my needs. Interesting to see what, if any, upgrades there will be for the 2021 model.
  12. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Someone listed a List of the hypothetical upgrades to the 2021 model a little bit back in this thread
    sbn likes this.
  13. erbe

erbe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Upgrades are not a secret anymore. Major one will be Athena ECU (shared with the SPR line) which should make the bike behave much more modern that it does now. Throttle response is quite rough with the current ECU. Dirt riders like it, road riders hate it. Other than that the fork should have closed cartridge with more adjustability, new bigger tablet. And who knows what more will it bring that it is not known. AFAIK the bike is ready for some time now, but AJP lacks some parts therefore it has not rolled out, but any moment now hopefully.
    roookie1 and sbn like this.
  14. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well then its good Im not in a hurry. Won't buy until next year anyway :D
  15. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    If you wish to gain some insight in where the lc4 engine really comes from this can be a good start: https://blog.ktm.com/ktm-lc4-a-single-success-story/ :thumb

Edit: burning up clutches says more about the rider than the bike, regardless of brand.
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  16. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode the 690 Enduro R (2019) with full rally prep for 11 000km (I just sold it, it is still in my garage), I currently own and ride the CRF450L, and I am waiting for my 2021 PR7. I will write a full report on how these bikes compare ;)
    As previously said, the CRF450L isn't exactly in the same category (is 35 kgs lighter).
    If you are riding on road a lot, at speed, no doubts the 690/PR7 will be better for you (the CRF450L is very good on tarmac don't get me wrong -but from a dirtbike perspective!).
    Bonnie & Clyde, sanvara and sbn like this.
  17. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Do you know when you will get your 21 pr7?

I haven't seen the 21 model yet
  18. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    I would like to hear your thoughts on the 690 VS the PR7 when you get around to it. Agreed the Honda 450 is in another category. Apples and oranges The 690/701 and the PR7 are adventure / travel bikes
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s what my blog here on ADV is named after!
  20. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any Texans here pick up a PR7 and register it?