Ajp pr7

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tiago, Sep 30, 2014.

1. DLS01

DLS01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NL. Ordered mine in September. Am exited.
  2. DirtShort

DirtShort Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all,
    I am not (yet...) a PR7 owner, but i had a KTM 640 ADV-R for some years. Great bike for offroad!
    For all that i have read so far, the PR7 seems more modern (of course) and more "agile/guts". Do you agree?

Concerning the tablet, does it have any bike specific information? If/when i have one, i would consider removingthe tablet, and mount in it's place a support for my BMW NAV6 gps...
    What is your opinion on this?

Thank you for any feedback, and congratulations for all the owners and future owners!:-)
    choutos likes this.
  3. ghostridergary

ghostridergary Trying is the first step on the road to failure.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi

I still have my 2004 640 ADV-R .... great bike, reliable and simple

I ordered a PR7 in Sep-20, and see it as an upgrade to the excellent, but getting dated 640 (although I'll probably keep the 640) .... still light and simple to service....

Tablet is new 8 inch Samsung tablet... see post #3137 for pics......

Delivery was supposed to be Nov-20 but with CV-19, hopefully delivery will be soon here in the UK, so that not too many of the spring/summer months are lost!
    DirtShort and choutos like this.
  4. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets.

Oddometer:
    NW Virginia mountains. This is on the trails I’ve built on my property:
    C8FF8F2C-7A34-4EB7-A3B7-F761A45CA2E6.jpeg
    Thoth, ErÑete, BergDonk and 5 others like this.
  5. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    I can’t speak for the new tablet, but the tablet on my 2020 was shit. I replaced it with a Garmin 276CX and I’m much happier with that setup. One problem with the tablets is using them with gloves on. The Garmin doesn’t have that problem.

A4656DB9-769E-4203-A0E8-85C926F9DBD5.jpeg
    6BDD2C70-614F-49DD-9520-007818B60D69.jpeg
  6. kelvyn

kelvyn KTM AdventureR

Oddometer:
    The 2020 Tablet was a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (6) - earlier bikes had an ASUS tablet.
    Newer bikes have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (8).

The tablet A6 is a great idea, but not without issue.
    - Rain drops trigger the screen,
    - without touchscreen gloves, you have to de-glove.
    - Housing not waterproof. (water resistant, but not enough for north east England!)
    - tablet is a bit of an older model, and runs slowly - DMDv1 would crash trying to handle the UK TET GPX file. - *solved by splitting to smaller sections

I ran a Montana 610 alongside the tablet - but have decided to commit to the tablet route again, this time with Samsung Active 3 - works with gloves on, waterproof, pogo pin or USB charging - won't be able to test fully until restrictions here are lifted.

I've come from a 640Adv to the PR7, and 8 months in, (with limited riding due to UK lockdowns,) I really like the bike, but having over 40k on the 640 I sold - I'm not quite there yet. (I have the standard power version, with factory ECU). The bike is more centrally balanced than the 640, steering lock not as good, and I guess in part due to lack of weight, I find the front end not as planted.
  7. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your impressions of the bike after getting familiar; I wish more owners would follow suit.
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    edit: strange I was replying to myself. I had asked the importer for a timeline for highway certification (licensing is a game of luck in some states). He said nope.
  9. DLS01

DLS01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Although I only want to hear the positive response to the pr7, critical reviews are valued too.
  10. kelvyn

kelvyn KTM AdventureR

Oddometer:
    Okay, here ya go...

My AJP PR7 2020 Model experience,
    Am I happy with the bike - YES!
    Has it replaced the KT640ADV I owned - YES!
    Would I buy another? - YES!

It's a low volume bike from a small factory. It has niggles.
    but it can ride tarmac to trail then ride the trails and take you home again - and as seen by others, it’s a real RTW contender.

THE GOOD.
    Fuel economy, Ive been over 170+ miles no problem. but not ran tank dry yet. been getting circa 50 UK MPG -fluctuates with riding style.
    Seat - comfortable and has a good level of support and grip - enough room to move position, forward and back to avoid a numb bum.
    Ergonomics - I originally had bar risers fitted at purchase, thIen removed them as the position suited me better -
    The foot peg to seat height is more suited to standing position, tall riders could feel cramped?

Build quality - overall good, fit of panels and parts, well aligned.
    Easy to work on - accessible, not hidden behind multiple layers of technology or body plastics.
    Lightweight - Pretty true to factory figures for a wet bike, lighter than my 640KTM and better weight balance.
    Power - I’m on the Standard power, it’s been mostly adequate. - I’d like to trial a power up version, but on the trails, its mostly good. On the tarmac, there has been a couple of times I’ve wanted a little more.

ANNOYANCES
    • There isn’t enough Steering lock in tight riding.
    • Fuel level indicator not accurate/sporadic.
    • Doesn’t like cold weather starting. (But eventually gets going!)
    • Fuel cap - the rubber seems to swell and makes removing tricky.
    • Clearance between swingers & exhaust - mud can build up in here and scratch the swing arm - no problem for me - it’s a bike that is designed to be used, a will acquire a certain patina!

PROBLEMS. (And the resolutions)
    • Fuel Injector microfilter blocked. - (fitted better inline fuel filter, others have added Guglatech pump filter.)
    • Bashplate is poorly designed - exhaust gets impacted (aftermarket doesn’t seem much improvement)
    • Neutral light stays on sometimes when wet - (Dielectric grease)
    • Speedo cable has failed

CHANGES/ Improvements I’ve made.
    • Hand guards - to ones with metal support ACERBIS x-Factor - factory are more brush guards.
    • Added a 3D MOTO Tail rack, to carry a 6litre LOMO tail pack.
    • In-line fuel filter ( MWK44 )
    • Radiator braces - Crosspro, - not amazing, but better than nothing.
    • Case guards - endurohog (but will Swap to 3D MOTO - as the endurohog are not a great fit.)
    • Tablet - to a newer model that is waterproof without additional housing.

The owners are a passionate bunch and lots of knowledge is available - here on Advrider - but more so on the Facebook groups.
    The Bike is a great machine, but it isn't without niggles.

Most spare parts are readily available, for example it uses same pads as KTM690 - handy when I needed a set urgent when the shops weren’t open!
  11. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    I’ve got the power-up version, as that’s all they sell here in the US, and I’d agree with much of what Kelvyn says. Mine is a 2020 which I bought last March. I have about 3500 miles on it, about 70% off-road. I also own a 2018 1200GS Rallye. The PR7 had become my go-to bike for the more technical and steep off-road stuff due to its weight and its ability to handle the tougher stuff without scaring me, as I ride alone most of the time.

That being said, The GS is still my go-places bike. I don’t like riding the PR7 on pavement for more than 25 miles. It don’t do high speed on it. 60-65mph max, mostly due to the less wind protection, and it does not get good mileage at those speeds.
    The only real problems I’ve had are a weak rear brake, and a snatchy throttle. I replaced the ECU with the THORK racing V1 ecu, as well as the domino KRK throttle cam, but it’s still a bit snatchy. I’ve learned to live with it though.
    I had no problem titling and plating it here in VA. I think the pandemic helped. The DMV I went to didn’t want to inspect it. They had just gone into lockdown and everything was wonky, so they just gave me a title and plates with no questions.

I am considering getting a 2021, in which case I’ll sell my 2020. If anyone is interested, PM me.
  12. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok so while Im waiting the next 2 months for my new 2021 model I have already started to buy accessories for it.

Can anyone tell me the thread size is where the mirrors are mounted. Want to get rid of the mirrors and have ram mounts there instead.

Have anyone changed the brake and clutch levers? Which ones fit the bike? Would like shorter ones.
  13. erbe

erbe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Join AJP PR7 Australia group. You can find most information most easily there. This question including

As for the clutch, AJP uses old Magura 163 master cylinder. Used by many old KTMs. Depending what you want to do with the bike I would consider changing it for Magura 167 which is current version and you can easily find many replacements for it. For the older 163 they exist, but not readily available. Check Midwest Mountain Engineering page for the lever compatibility over different bikes/years. They have a nice chart there. 163 is M1C and 167 is M2C in their language.

The brake on new PR7 is Brembo, which is used by many-many different brands and bike models. I have older model with Braktec brakes so I don't know exactly the models. But I am sure if you take the lever off and ask in any decent shop they will point you in the right direction.
    rvsparky, choutos and sbn like this.
  14. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    These are the best replacements I have found to date for the pre-'20 model and roughly only $10 or so, had a Chinese company making CNC ones but they dropped the ball-Notice these are Tusk, got them at Rocky Mountain and they work great!

Attached Files:

sanvara likes this.
  15. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Proud new PR7 owner, checking in from Denver. I've ridden an XR650R for over a decade, and this has nearly identical specs, in so many ways, but e-start and FI. I have two questions:
    What turn signals are people running, and what's the bracket/mount location for the rear?
    Has anyone done anything to lower the radiator and increase turn radius?

Attached Files:

16. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    Congratulations and welcome to the club! Ibe been riding a PR7 out in VA for the last year. I’m actually out in Denver myself for work through the 7th.

ive never heard about anyone lowering the radiators, but I know a few guys put small intentional dents in the tops of the radiators at the turn stop to get a few more mm.

I installed Click-n-ride LED indicators on mine. They are easily removable when you do technically challenging terrain, so you don’t break them. (https://twistedthrottle.com/click-n-ride/). Here is a pic of where mine are Installed. Sorry it’s not more detailed. You may want to consider replacing your tablet as well. Those Samsungs are old and slow, and the housing is not waterproof. A good deluge will kill it. I put a Garmin 276CX on mine using the THORK racing amps bracket.

C463EC65-042E-4127-81D4-33C81D13FF64.png
  17. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    I also had an XRR, street legal here and San Diego, in fact just sold it here, but, I would say my R was a bit quicker/faster, and it was stock cept for a Lectron! Here are a couple of pics, my turn signals are just AliExpress cheapos but work great, only flush mounts will do and simple install. See you have ADVENG jewelry, Chris makes killer stuff. After your R, I'm sure you will trick it out good as all of us have, so far.

Attached Files:

rvsparky and Brett737cap like this.
  18. oryx80

oryx80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if AJP plan to have dealers in Canada?

I've been drooling over the PR7 for quite a while now...
  19. sanvara

sanvara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Muddy day in Spain A04A3FA7-7AF2-45D8-A901-6807D69339D5.jpeg DDD768F8-049C-45C6-A699-7F4EECCE9736.jpeg
    Thoth, DLS01, choutos and 4 others like this.
  20. sanvara

sanvara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AJP PR7 against the tide :-) 44D4A21D-E04A-4BA1-9E9E-FB92FB25B67F.jpeg