1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Ajp pr7

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tiago, Sep 30, 2014.

1. frostyuk

frostyuk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have the 2021 model am 6'4" tall 31.5" inseam fits me perfectly out of the box which surprised the hell out of me, only thing i'm changing is the handlebars as i want less sweep than stock so putting on the renthal ktm low bend bars, low because i can add in the steering damper later without adding more height to the bars
  2. MisterXch

MisterXch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    Do you ride the powered up version?
    Can you say anything to the 2021 intake noise of the air filter box?
    It's so terrible noisy like the older one?
    Thanks!
  3. frostyuk

frostyuk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is the standard version, not noticed any loud intake noise.
    MisterXch likes this.
  4. DLS01

DLS01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here. No noise noted.
    MisterXch likes this.
  5. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Going out to figure out (wire) my turn signals today. I haven't seen any good photos of the process, yet, so will work on taking pictures.
  6. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    pretty easy, my flush mounts wired up, just got a basic turn chingazo
  7. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Moderate success on the turn signal mystery! After an aggressive upper dismantling, I located both front and rear turn signal pigtails.
    PXL_20210521_185632556.jpg

The rear is just left of the battery box - but has no harness. The front pigtail is WELL hidden, on the right hand side of the bike, behind all of the relays and every other wire - still no harness.
    PXL_20210521_171953629.jpg PXL_20210521_192826971.jpg

The connector is a three-prong connector with black, black/white, and green/black wires. I called my local dealer, but they don't carry the wiring harness. AJP Australia lists the "blinker harness" (AJP-AUS says: 00ELS01A0021 but AJP says: 00ELS01A0080) for $30.68 each - plus shipping. I'm going to do some web sleuthing, and see if I can find that connector closer, then I can wire the housings myself. In the meantime, I'll order an LED relay.
    PXL_20210521_172732917.jpg

Thanks to @zodillyicous for sharing initial photos.
  8. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a Molex connector. You can build your own harness if you want.
    ere109 likes this.
  9. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    I just had to add a relay is all
    ere109 likes this.
  10. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    I am running Mosko Moto r80 v3 on my PR7. Does anyone know if I need the heat shield?
  11. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My mini review of the 2021 AJP PR7

I absolutely love it, and I love it more and more each hour I ride it!
    For reference, I also ride a Husky 350 FE 2020 and 790 ADVR, and I previously had a CRF450L and a 690 Enduro R 2019 (both highly modified) so I will compare them a bit.

First of all, these suspensions are the best I ever rode. This bike is a magic carpet, but extremely precise at the same time. You can go extremely hard on them.
    The whole chassis is in fact absolutely incredible, and the balance is unreal for a bike with such a cylinder capacity (it really feels lighter than the 690/701).

The engine (with the power flow kit) is the perfect compromise between offroad and road capabilities.
    It feels like an enduro engine when needed, and like a road engine when needed, while the 690/701 engine feels to me like a road engine all the time.
    Of course it is less powerful than the 690/701, but in the end it is way enough and way better for real everyday use both in the dirt and on the street. You can tackle single tracks and high speed. Cruising around 120-130 km/h is fine and I reached 160 to check : no problem either, no wobble or anything weird (and that was with 90% used Desert Race from Michelin…).

Comfort is really excellent (the seat is the best single cylinder seat I ever had, better than my previous Seat Concepts), and the position both seated and on the pegs feels just right).
    Wind protection is very good (for a bike this size, it isn't a GS).
    Fuel economy and range are unmatched in this category.
    Navigation is a breeze with the tablet (I added the Carpe Iter controller).

Overall, IMO, the PR7 is the best compromise: it is the most polyvalent single cylinder you can really travel with. It is not an enduro, it is not a multicylinder, but it is the sweet spot in between.
    It better for everyday and for long (pavement or dirt) days than the 690/701 and the CRF450L (and don't get me wrong : both are great great bikes too).
    Of course, the 690/701 will be more fun on the street only when you want to go crazy, and the CRF450L is better suited for tight muddy or rocky single tracks (you can’t have it all !).

And last… the PR7 is cheaper, while it is really ready to travel (and race) at the same time, straight out from the factory.
    It doesn't need expensive upgrades. Well, appart from the handguards (just immediately replace the weak factory ones), it doesn't need ANY upgrade whatever you want to do with it.

One - relative - downside: unfortunately, it share with the the 690/701 the same shitty turning radius , which can be a pain in the ass in some situations. It would be great if AJP improves that for the next generation.

IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0609.JPG IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0671.JPG IMG_1615.JPG IMG_1618.JPG IMG_2011.JPG IMG_2016.JPG IMG_2019.JPG IMG_2022.JPG
  12. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Review of the luggage rack from 3Dmoto (Poland)

I didn’t want a rack in the beginning, but in case you plan on putting anything on the back, even pretty light, it is definitely needed (the tail assembly moves quite a lot since the frame ends where the tanks ends, besides it is just the plastic assembly). So I searched for a light and compact rack. The one 3Dmoto does ticks all the boxes : it weights around 1300 grams (I checked) and yet is rock solid (aluminium plate, steel sides), it isn’t too big (just the right size actually), and it doubles as good handles to manhandle the bike when you go enduro style. Really, it couldn’t be better. It reminds me the Perun Moto rack I had on my 690 and the small one I have on my 790, which are both absolutely perfect.
    Plus, it ships fast, and the guy who makes them is very nice to talk to!

You can check it here :
    https://www.3dmoto.pl/Rear_Top_Rack_for_AJP_PR7/p6718994_20297774.aspx
    offtheback and rvsparky like this.
  14. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great review and Thanks @Apo. You guys have some pretty good riding there it looks like! Is that the Mosko Pico tank bag? I've been looking for one that fits the PR7.

Does anyone know if the brake pads on the 2020 are the same as earlier years? I have a spreadsheet with spare parts numbers but its all for a 2018 model, and I am pretty sure they changed the brake system on the 2020, but not sure if the pad size changed.
  15. erbe

erbe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No. The brake pads are different both front and rear for Braktec (early models-red fork) and current model with Brembos.
    Braktec - front - Honda CRF250L
    Braktec - rear - Honda XR650 (all)

Brembo - front - pretty much all BMWs (800,1200), Husky 701, KTM690 (but not sure if all years). Check TRW MCB671, they list compatiblity with other models
    Brembo - rear - Husky 701 and again KTM690 same as previous. Check TRW MCB672
    hockeyrick likes this.
  16. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    T
    Thanks! Had my rear brake lock up on a ride last week and it scorched the rear pads so I need to replace them. Still have not found the reason for the lock up, so bikes out of commission until I do….
  17. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brake pedal adjusted with no slack so the master cant release pressure..
  18. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    I wish it was that easy but that isn’t it. If anything I always had too much slack in the pedal. I haven’t had the chance to sit down and really looks at it yet. The rear brake on this thing has been a problem since day 1. It was always not strong enough, but when I would adjust the pedal so that I could lock up the rear wheel in the dirt, then there wasn’t enough slack, so I’ve always kept it with quite a bit of slack and just lived with the weak brake.
  19. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    I would check to see if the Nisin Honda CRF250L would fit like it does on the front, they are solid and cheap and variety of pad options
    Brett737cap likes this.
  20. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    I ended up calling Jeff at AJPUSA and he was able to get hold of someone at AJP in Portugal. They told him it’s the same pads as the Husky 701 and KTM 690 uses….whatever those are. Should be easy to source, knowing that.