1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Ajp pr7

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tiago, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. stamp

stamp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where do I sign? I might even trade the xt660z for it ;)
  3. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    Two things I need to know, is there a sub frame and what's the price?
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    It would appear that the rear end is the fuel tank - like the rest of the AJP range, and a KTM 690 of course.

Although it is styled like a rally/race bike, I imagine AJP will make some concessions to carrying luggage (if not a passenger), as their focus is very much on the dual-sport and trail rider market (and let's face it, if they were serious about competition use, they'd have to build a 450cc version to comply with FIM rules these days anyway). Personally I'd just go for some Giant Loop style soft luggage on this sort of bike?

As for the price - there was a rumour it would be around £7500*, whether than is GBP or Euros who knows, but it's certainly unlikely to be that cheap in USD...

*Note. Significantly, this is pitched below the suggested price of the forthcoming CCM GP450, which follows a similar concept, but uses the BMW G450X engine which is far more race derived... The XT660 engine in this AJP while obviously a little [physically] larger and heavier, is by all accounts, probably the best current RTW bike engine available... strong, torquey, economic and extremely reliable.

Of course it will remain a niche product - but then the lightweight adventure market is already a niche within a niche anyway... and suddenly there are two contenders for the crown - so who knows, maybe KTM will dust of the plans for a 690 Adventure after all?!

Jx
    Combatscoot and Annhl8rX like this.
  5. Endurodude

Endurodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's hope so!
  6. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found a post from the UK that says 17 litre fuel capacity, perfect!
    Can anyone confirm that?
  7. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
  8. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Err, do you actually read if there's a picture with text in it ?

[​IMG]
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh NO - NOT A 5 SPEED! :eek1 :2cry :rolleyes :nono :doh :dunno :hmmmmm :baldy :ddog

I guess they had to make something to bitch about... :lol3
  10. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I clearly missed that one, most be the reverse print.

OK, looks good, and I've actually got a local dealer. I'll put my name in for one.
  11. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Oh god! What will we ever do?

Oh yeah... Shift less.
  12. ShoelessJoe

ShoelessJoe DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

This bike looks really good to me and most everything that I would like in my next bike. I will really consider this bike if it comes to the U.S.

-good fuel capicty. Not sure what the xt660z was getting for gas mileage, but I'm guessing we can expect the same.
    -proven reliable motor that puts out good power
    -looks like good of-the-shelf suspension and brakes.
    -little bit of wind protection
    -relatively light weight (If they can pull that quoted number off)

Not really worried about a dealer network since I do all of my own work. Right now the only thing that worries me a little is the unknown strength of the rear subframe. They may have done it right, but we will not know until someone starts testing it out. As far as the five speed, I have yet to hear anyone really bitch about the Tenere at highway speeds.
  13. Endurodude

Endurodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard that the fuel cap is located under the seat! This seems silly for a bike intended for travel, especially when you'll inevitably be carrying some form of luggage, even just a small and simple throw over saddle bag. Most of us might take a little more, making filling up a right pain! Why not go for the same sort of place as the F650 / F800? This is the reason I ultimately list interest in the KTM690 enduro.
  14. Tiago

Tiago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, and bear in mind I haven't seen the bike, I believe the fuel cap is at the back of the seat, as the underseat fuel tank is a AJP hallmark. That would be coherent with the rest of their line.
  15. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, AJP sure has NAILED it!:clap

Hope it makes production.
  16. dudeonweb

dudeonweb naab

Oddometer:
    That exhaust looks awfully exposed.
  17. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    A rear tank isn't that inconvenient when travelling, it only takes 10-15 seconds for me to move the roll bag to access the rear filler on my KTM 690 Enduro, pretty much the same as moving a tank bag in a conventional setup.

I've always rated the XT660Z as the closest out of the box of a true dual sport adventure bike, able at one extreme to tackle cruising across Europe on motorways (freeways) with weather protection, and at the other extreme to be useful on dirt roads. I gained a lot of confidence with mine—which I still have—and learnt that the way out of most off-tarmac problems is to open the throttle.

Despite only having a five speed box, the Tenere gears cover a very wide range of ratios. Yes, the bike could be lighter, yes the exhaust running up the side broils your left leg, yes the deep rims makes roadside puncture repair impossible for many, however what really lets it down big time is the intractable engine, and that's despite installing a stage 2 air box, the 'Kev' fuel mod and removing the cat from the exhaust. By comparison the KTM 690 engine is a revelation, able to pull from much lower revs and smooth through a wide range.

So the AJP having the Minarelli engine as used in the XT660Z is a downside for me. Unless of course, they are able to sort the tractability problems.

CCM got some things right with the GP450—optional centre stand to aid puncture repair, permanent lockable space for tools, adjustable screen (essential to be able to lower when off-tarmac in heat), low weight... But it lacks a rev counter (!) and has the standard close ratio gearbox of its donor BMW machine.

Promoting the AJP through rally styling and rally competition doesn't impress me, it rather puts me off. The lack of passenger pegs on the AJP is worrying as it implies the frame isn't strong enough to carry passengers, which means it may not be strong enough to carry metal luggage, which when travelling solo is essential for security. Although I rarely carry a pillion on my KTM 690 Enduro, I frequently use the passenger pegs as a way to stretch my legs and alter the seating position to avoid bum ache.

18. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. Every time I see that it say styling exercise rather than practical dual sport. At least practical in terms of the off-road part of "dual". Rock hits and deep stream crossing would have a high pucker factor with that exhaust.

But then I can never decouple from offroad riding. That bike no doubt works very well as a long range dirt road (relatively) lightweight adventure tourer, commuter and all arounder for the street. Especially coming off a GS or similar.
  19. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

It would seem no matter what manufacturers do, it's never going to be enough for some people...

Jx
    overlander likes this.
  20. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I agree with much of what you say about the Tenere (in the full post above) - as you know, I've done a bit of travelling myself on a Tenere ;o)

However, I wouldn't say the stock engine was intractable at all? - a bit stifled perhaps, but I felt the fuelling was spot on, and the torque characteristics perfect for off-roading a tall, heavy bike?

Certainly fitting a proper Powercommander (rather than the bodge-it Kev mod, no offence Kev), the DNA open airbox lid and a single [non cat] pipe transformed mine - I'd agree it's still not quite as arm-wrenchingly grunty as the 690, but it's not far off...

I'd say AJP are going down the right lines with this bike as an off-road biased Adventure thumper - although I agree that while by no means essential, they might be limiting themselves if hard-luggage pannier frames can't be fitted to the rear tank subframe as an option for more road based touring?

Jx