1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Ajp pr7

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tiago, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lighter 660Z with proper suspension. What could be not to like? For an all-terrain travel bike I’ve always thought that's the way to do it: a low-stressed ‘donkey’ engine with great legs - not unlike an XR650L in its day.
    I get the feeling on my current XCo they got that bit the other way round.

The rally look is eye-catching like the CCM. I can live without a seat that's a plank, though I’m all for an effective screen. Plus of course light weight and the means to carry a load without something breaking at the back. That's one area where the 660Z's weight was not wasted.
    A 17L tank would = 425km at the 25kpl I averaged on my Z with no fuelling mods. Right in the ballpark.

That was exactly my experience with 5000 miles on a 660 Tenere too. And back then there were no Kev mods or other tricks around yet. For a (briefly) cheap and well outfitted big Jap single it was a great all-round travel bike that was only hampered by a high CoG and cheap/heavy components that made it feel even heavier than it was. The original 1982 XT600Z was well over 50kg lighter and that went, stopped, bounced and turned just fine.

As Jmo says - a lot of that weight is in the engine, not just the rims, double front discs, frame and cans. So good luck to them getting the P7 down to 155kg dry with an 660Z lump. That’s exactly the same as my (actually weighed) XCo with oil in it. But before adding a steel subframe. Might the P7 benefit from that or some similar arrangement to make it a travel bike?

I get a feeling what sets KTMs apart is quality suspension. To me that’s not about going fast - it’s about better control so less fatigue when travelling at normal speeds off road with a load. IMO it’s the sort of performance benefit that’s harder (or more expensive) to achieve and instantly evaluate than less obvious masses of extra hp. Lean-burning emission requirements apart, I'd happily trade a few hp from my Xco if it meant what I recall as a more mellow 660 engine.

Sadly I think there are many more of them than ‘proper adventurers’, who have always been prepared to finish the job themselves, as JMo’s rally Tenere and many regular travel bikes have shown. Let the people ride, whatever their motives. It's all cash in the bank for AJP.

For me, an MT-07 based Tenere mentioned earlier (and doubtless elsewhere in Adv) would be more my thing. If that could just come in at a good or reducible weight, then those who want to can finish the job. You'd hope interest in bikes like the P7 would help that happen.

Ch
  2. The Jester

The Jester Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was riding with the British AJP importer at the weekend and found out a bit more about the bike.

As has already been reported here, it has the engine from the 660 Tenere which has not been modified. This does not mean it will run the same as the Tenere however, as the airbox and exhaust are both different. Perhaps more importantly, the ECU is also different and will have 3 different maps, accessible via a handlebar switch. This is promised to make the engine a lot more lively than the Tenere.

:clap:clap:clap
  3. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I`m in!!!!
    This is just the bike I am looking for!!!! :deal

Bundy
  4. sunbeam26

sunbeam26 n00b

Oddometer:
  5. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
  6. sunbeam26

sunbeam26 n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok. If that's true i'm impressed.

So 155kg for the bike will be a tough job.
  7. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Why ? The BMW X range weighs similar and have the very heavy BMW/Rotax engine in that. (Around 45 Kg or 95 something Pounds)
  8. webmonstro

Oddometer:
    Still it's hard to do , think like this a MX'er 125 cc 2stroke is 95-100kg
    So subtract the small light 125cc engien and add 51 kg of 660 minarelli lump, and you are already near the 155kg , then you have to add the bigger frame,tank and seat , lights, battery, bigger tyres /rims etc
  9. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Maybe the engine is a stressed member ? The way the rear swing arm looks makes me think they know a trick or two.
    The CCM 450 Adv weighs 130 Kg, with engine, wheels, fairing and all...
    The engine is "only" a 450 cc but there's an actual bike that does what it says on the box it comes in.
    Montesa Cota 4RT trials bike has a 250 cc Honda 4 stroke and the whole bike is as stif and strong as can be weighing only 80 Kgs !
  10. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:

One of the new CCM GP450 owners is claiming 125.5 kg. I'm not sure if that is a official CCM weight or the owner put it on a scale.
  11. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I believe that is for the 350cc engine.
  12. [ECHO]

[ECHO] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    I find difficult to believe the CCM, with all that fairing, weighs less than a very stripped DRZ400E (about 128kg was the minimum weight measured here in Italy)
  14. webmonstro

Oddometer:
  15. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It would be interesting to see what it truly weighs. I'm sure that CCM is not (over)building bikes the way Suzuki does.
  16. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    An actual owner posted 125.5kg on the road weight.
  17. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    The PR7 does look great.

Which of those specs differs significantly from the KTM 640 Adventure? The ones that jump out at me are EFI (a plus in my book) and 5-speed transmission (a significant minus).

I see the fuel tank is 17L vs 28L. The smaller tank is a big plus cosmetically, and with EFI the new bike might get significantly better mpg and not need as big a tank. But the dry weight of the bikes is about identical so they would weigh the same if you put 17L in both.
  19. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    the 640 ADV was a five speed, to me the trans spread is more important than the number of gears.
  20. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good catch and I agree about spread being the main thing.

They seem similar in power and weight don't they? I hope the PR7 will have a sturdy enough subframe for some pannier bags.