1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Ajp pr7

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tiago, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    And some states it's completely impossible.
    Getting that CARB approval is gonna be difficult but the old Yamaha mill has already been approved once already... Let's see if they can do it again.
  2. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:

Gotta Love Texas, fewer eco-nazi's running amuck.
  3. [ECHO]

[ECHO] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But by that same token, weren't the 610 & 630 both street legal when Husky was bringing them in? Seems like a wash vs. the Yamaha/Minarelli engine on that point...
  4. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    What point are you trying to make?
    Both the huskys had to get CARB approval.
    The Yamaha pattern 660 got it on the Aprilia Pegaso a few years ago... As the configuration has changed a bit AJP will have to do it again... AKA, pay up...
  5. [ECHO]

[ECHO] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The point I'm making is that both engines mentioned or linked to the PR7 at this point (Yamaha/Minarelli 660 & SWM '650' aka the old Husky 630) have been CARB approved before, but that doesn't change the fact they both would need to be approved again. So the previous CARB approval of the 660 doesn't seem to be a selling point vs. the SWM motor - which also had approval before.
  6. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Ah gotcha. This time around could be more difficult... 49 state would be much, much easier but 50 state = CARB could be a royal bitch with the new laws taking effect and some new bills that could be the books by 2017.
    Unless it runs on kittin tears and shoots unicorn farts out its gonna be real difficult.
    Regardless, it promises to be a pretty rad bike. I just hope they can appease the CA bureaucrats and I get to have one too.
  7. [ECHO]

[ECHO] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well crap, I know the regs get tougher all the time but what new limits or requirements are they phasing in for 2017? Despite being a state that will plate just about anything (CO), I think realistically given how big of motorcycle market CA is, you basically have to be 50-state these days to make the business case. So I'm hoping they can pass CARB testing too!
  8. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sure do. Sold it but had a plated KDX 220 for many years here in Texas.
  9. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    The total hydrocarbon emission limits and NOX are lower for both running and the evap testing than there where in 2005 or 2006 when the 660 passed the last time plus they are making headway on bring us all in for a sniffer biannually. It hasn't happened yet but CARB doesn't really have any limitations of power and we have some crazy ass legislators that keep trying year after year to get same bill passed... It's started around 2009. It's gonna happen eventually.
    There is a bill called SB 350 that very well may get passed that has a ton of new requirements for everything from diesel trucks to air conditioners. By itself it's not really all that bad but it's super far reaching. How it gets interpreted by CARB may be a feeding frenzy of stupid. CARB airhead Mary Nichols has already come out and said she's going to kill gasoline engines in California all together... It's a mess...
    In a nut shell, the standards are higher every year and getting the testing done cost more and more every year. For Honda it's not a big deal, for a little tiny company like AJP forking out the money is going to hurt.
    Can you tell this is one of those subjects that really chaps my ass?
  10. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    I totally agree... So many bad ass V8's running around. Shit I can only dream of having.
    I get to work in South Texas pretty often. Ain't nothing wrong with Corpus.
  11. [ECHO]

[ECHO] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well and rightfully so. While it's important we have CARB (even with all the regs the air quality is still pretty terrible around LA - think how bad it'd be without :puke1), they don't know how to dial it back when they've gotten the result they wanted. Nothing will ever be good enough. I face similar stuff working the EPA and the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA - OSHA's Nazi older brother), at some point new regs just seem to come out to justify them being there. Are there any decent studies of just how much impact new motorcycles are having on air quality? Maybe there are and new motorcycles contribute significantly to smog but I doubt it, and it seems like they're fighting over stuff that just doesn't matter in the grand scheme. :dunno
  12. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Minarelli can't guarantee that the 660 engine will be good for Euro 6 emissions so they're looking into a different one.
    It looks like it will be the twin cam 600cc engine from the 2012 Husqvarna TE630.
  13. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If this is true, I hope that they get the WR 6-speed transmission with it. It is the tranny that made the TE610/630.
    Tharaphita and MBM like this.
  14. Tharaphita

Tharaphita Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well i heard there will be news at EICMA (November 2015)
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  15. MBM

MBM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really hoping they bring this gamechanger to the table. Maybe someone from Japan can learn a thing or two.

Regards
  16. MBM

MBM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any news on this? Is it true it will be a single seater? Or will it have an ABS and 2 seater version?

Regards
  17. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    I'll be attending the EICMA show in a few weeks. The AJP exhibit will be one of my first visits.
    ulfagren, dudeonweb and MBM like this.
  18. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to Enduro360.com for a test on one of the AJP's. For some reason I couldn't stop staring,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  19. darkhelmetnl

darkhelmetnl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I expect they have ABS, because ABS is compulsory from 2016 in the EU...

all the engine hassle will surely mean a delay, because initial design was with a Minarelli 660 :(
    I loved the fact that it was a Minarelli. Easy to get parts, decent but heavy engine.
  20. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Just got an e-mail that the final version of the PR7 will be unveiled at EICMA. :clap Will rumours of an engine swap be true? Or will it kick ass as is?
    maat and dudeonweb like this.