1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Ajp pr7

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tiago, Sep 30, 2014.

1. yachabibi

yachabibi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found this on a British forum, adventurebikerider.com.... it was posted about two months ago.
    Interestingly interestinger and interestinger...

I wonder if a really good 450 engine wouldn't be a good option. CCM did it. That way you could avoid the whole ABS issue. Bike would be way cheaper too.

"Greetings all, I know there was a huge amount of interest in the prototype when we showed it at Cologne, but things have changed quite a bit in the spec since then..read on...

1. Minarelli couldn't guarantee the lump would pass Euro-6 emissions without around 3 catalytic converters in line, which utterly strangulate it..so the 660 Tenere lump is off the menu...

2. SWM/Shineray have re-started production at the old Husqvarna plant at Varese, its a well funded project with around 50m Euro's of Chinese money backing it. The bikes will be marketed as SWM's using the husky engines - and we'll be using the twin cam 600cc engine last seen in the late 2012 630 models (before BMW ruined them by sticking the heavy old Kymco lump in them). This is already Euro compliant and good for a few years of model life. It's a lovely "leggy" engine, I had the 630SM and LOVED it..so here's hoping...

3. Bike format: We'd love to bring an adventure model out straight away..BUT..Euro regs on ABS for all bikes over 500cc, means there's a cost of some £350,000 to homologate and set up a system that suits the bike. Only TWO companies in Europe can even issue this sort of paperwork...so the first models will be single seater "enduro" bikes which get around this restriction, by dint of their "competition" moniker...

4. IF sales reflect demand, we'll use the revenue to homologate a "road" model..

5. Styling will be similar to the prototype bike, insomuch as it will reflect a "dakar" look. we've addressed the subject of luggage mounting by exposing the rear subframe...

6 It'll have centrally mounted tank with offset fillers like a 650 beemer...

That's about all I can tell you - or I'd have to kill you all, which could take a while...
    We hope to show the new prototype at Milan later this year, and there's a TEENY possibility of an NEC appearance, more likely we'll show it in London Excel though...

Hope that's whetted your appetites....
    "Never trust a man who tells you he never feels the need to get drunk, he's either lying , or not paying attention"

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    timeOday and dudeonweb like this.
  2. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha wr450 motor.
  3. yachabibi

yachabibi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, for example. I think JMo (and piglet) suggested that too.
    CCM use the BMW motor.
    I suppose it depends on who's making them, availability, emissions for California etc....

4. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I would prefer a 450 as well. I've seen engine designers comment that a 450 size piston is pretty optimal and after that, you get decreasing marginal returns in a heavier and heavier motor. I think the advantage here of the Husky is that it should be a 6 speed, unlike the 660 engine. That alone is worth it. But a 450 single could get under 350lbs wet. I'm not so much looking for a long haul ADV bike, but a short haul, light weight dual purpose bike with some abiity to carry something. I also hope this feels like a small bike. The Yamaha 660 bikes are all very big, very heavy and make the BMW F800GS seem kind of tiny.
    dudeonweb and yachabibi like this.
  5. yachabibi

yachabibi Long timer

Oddometer:
    No reason a 450 couldn't perform well as a long distance bike.
    CCM's detuned 450 makes 40hp, more than my DR 650 (37hp). I've done a 700 mile day and I often run 550 miles over 14 hrs on the old girl.
    I think issues relevant to long distance riding are comfort, wind protection, vibration. None of those preclude a light capable dual sport. Engine reliably and component reliability also come into consideration, but I don't believe a modern 450 will be over raced producing 40-45 hp.
    6 speed box would be nice too. Very nice.

dudeonweb likes this.
  6. MBM

MBM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Single seat is a deal breaker for me.
  7. yachabibi

yachabibi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope Antonio and Jorge are taking notes.
    I understand that single seat is a way to get around ABS issue. They sell it as an off road vehicle. Until there is enough demand to fund the ABS development.
    I'm sure that could be easily remedied with aftermarket seat though.

8. MBM

MBM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The problem isn't in the seat I guess, I could just put some footpegs on it, but I want to ride 100% legal. Not that I ride a lot 2 seat up but when I do I don't want to get in trouble.
    BushX and dudeonweb like this.
  9. yachabibi

yachabibi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right...
    What are you gonna do? Hurry up and wait.
    Hopefully there'll be good news by the end of next week.

dudeonweb likes this.
  10. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    They'll just sell you the seat separately.

I would love to see them come out with a PR6 line with the BMW 450 engine or something similar. That seems like a good way around the ABS issue, though obvously they were pretty committed already to the PR7. It's pretty hard to do all that design work and then scrap it for a small company like AJP. I'm glad they found a way through the obstacles.

Though, I wonder, ABS should be pretty well automated and "plug'n'play" by now. It really should be entirely self-tuning and it would be easy to drop in a defeat switch. Which just goes to show, it's not a technology issue standing in the way of safetry, but ridiculous government mandates and processes that gouge the hell out of small companies while protecting large corporations. That is the purpose of the process. To weed out small competitors before they grow big enough to be a threat to the ones paying the bills and paying for the elections.
  11. MBM

MBM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think ABS is mandatory in 125cc+ bikes in EU. Where did that 450cc info come from?

Anyways... I guess I will wait and see if the come with the ABS version and 2 seat homologation...
    dudeonweb likes this.
  12. yachabibi

yachabibi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am also wondering how an ADV bike with Honda's newish CB500 twin motor would be received.
    Reports are that it is super smooth, makes nice power, 471cc so maybe no ABS issue.
    Mike Kozera has a really nice build here on ADV rider. Look for CRF500L.

michaelkozera likes this.
  13. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
  14. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Well, the Terra had a modded BMW 650 engine as I recall, whereas this looks to be the more performance oriented Husky engine. Though either way would be fine with me. The Terra engine has a great rep for smoothness, though it may also be a bit heavier. The Husky engine revs a bit better and has a bit more power, but less torque than the BMW engine.

Though, Husky seems to have squeezed a bit more power out of the BMW unit. But I am more into it for the light weight. My issue is going to the usual. How F'ing high is that seat going to be?!?
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  16. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    The Terra TR650 (Rotax) motor was totally different than the TE630... I had both (well, a FI TE610, close enough).
    The TR650 felt like a street bike (really, it was as smooth as a twin). The TE630 felt way more off-road ready... tons of stump-pulling torque. I don't know the specs, but I'm sure the TR650 motor was much heavier than the TE630. Personally, I liked working on the older model a lot better.
    dudeonweb likes this.
  17. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    The TE had the 600 cc Husqvarna engine, the TR (terra/Strada) has the 650 cc BMW/Rotax engine (which is a very good engine but it's also very heavy)
    The TE was more off-road orientated, the TR more street orientated.

If you want a light-ish adventure bike you would (in my personal view) use it for trail riding and/or adventure riding with considerable stretches off-road.
    I don't think that's the kind of riding you want to do with a passenger.
  18. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    I think anyway the Terra engine should be lighter than the XT660 Minarelli one!
  19. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    yachabibi likes this.
  20. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    No screen, fronnt tank filler, typical motocross style seat. I'm okay with that. I hope it comes with side mounted ladders, however. I wonder if this will breach 1m seat height. Because I need more like .85m or about 34".