AK550 Super Touring

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by heyzeus, Jan 17, 2021.

1. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    thank goodness my WIFE felt that way... DECADES ago :lol3
    klaviator and kpinvt like this.
  2. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    realizing of course that THIS 2021 model for he US is the very same for the 4th year in a row in Asia
    this IS the 2018 AK 550 without ANY changes at all... sold as a "NEW" model for the US market
    for better or worse, i guess
    ZigzagguzzI and MrVvrroomm like this.
  3. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That only encourages me that perhaps the quirks in the first year have been worked out in this 4th year of the same model. ALL bikes have quirks in their first year of production and sometimes into the second and rarely into the third.
    ZigzagguzzI likes this.
  4. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen a couple advertised on our local bikesales website which have reported in the description that the dash was replaced under warranty.
  5. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On that first VERY short break in maintenance interval...
    Found that the nearest Kymco dealer that I would likely find one of these is 125 miles away by Interstate. If I were to buy an AK 550 I'd more likely ride the back roads to come home and would therefor be able to easily make it over 180-200 miles to get home... and then immediately perform that first maintenance myself. Of course along with any purchase I'd buy new CVT and drive belts, OEM oil filter and air filter and possibly a few other maintenance items while I was there and fill the under seat storage box with those items.
  6. Scootertime

Scootertime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The manual says first oil change at 600 miles. I own an AK 550 and read the manual every day.
    Clampett likes this.
  7. Scootertime

Scootertime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    manual AK550 oil.jpg
    Where did you read about the first oil change? I read my manual and it says 600miles, NOT 187.5 miles.
    old1959 likes this.
  8. Scootertime

Scootertime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First oil change is at 600 miles not 187. Who told you that it was at 187miles?
  9. Scootertime

Scootertime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok everybody, there is already a thread for the Kymco AK550. Why the hell did you open a new thread here?
  10. Scootertime

Scootertime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First oil change is at 600 miles. Who told you to change the oil at 187 miles?
  11. Scootertime

Scootertime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand the logic of your comment. Are you saying that US model 2021 hasn't seen any updates since 2018 or are you referring to the colors being the same as 2018 in Asia?
  12. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Scootertime , I read that info in the service manual I downloaded from a Greek Dealer web site. It shows the first oil change at 0.18K miles or 300 km. I really don't know what year the service manual is written for.
    I also have not noticed any changes over the last 3 model years in any of the videos I've watched, at least none that are significant enough to warrant any differences in service.

The rest of the intervals are the same mileage but some of the items have longer intervals to replace... like oil filter. More like my Burgman 650 and other bikes I've owned. This all seems to indicate as I've come to know as the maintenance schedule simply to be a basic guide and that there is no real harm in some slight modification of the schedule.

600 miles sounds much more normal. It really wouldn't surprise me that this is different in the manuals. I've seen other vehicles with very different maintenance intervals in different years but no significant mechanical changes to the vehicle. I've also read that there are differences between the user manual and service manual of the same Kymco scooter but don't remember what model scooter this was.

Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 4.25.35 PM.png
  13. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, anyone know of someone who might be interested in a 2013 Burgman 650 ABS for around $9000? :hmmmmm:deal

That would be the only way my spending authority boss would possibly consider me buying this one. :-) :D And even then she'd have to think on it. :2cry

Some riders will only go for a bike if a dealer were within their community or very close. I can work with a dealer 125 miles away. I do most of my own maintenance leaving only the "big" stuff to the dealer. I also let others change the rubber on the wheels but I take only the wheels and my own choice of tires in to a shop, and there is a shop local that can easily do that for me for a VERY good price. :thumb
  14. Scootertime

Scootertime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Burgman 650 is a good scooter. The AK is a bit smaller and lighter with better suspension and modern connectivity. Keep in mind you will give up lots of under-seat storage with the Ak550.

I was considering to get a Burgman 650 myself. I had a Burgman 400 and a Kawasaki Versys motorcycle just few months ago. Sold both for total of $7500 and got the AK550.

Things I did not like about the Burgman: too heavy, not very sporty riding, sluggish acceleration, looks like a beluga whale, expensive even as used.
    Things I liked about the Burgman : tons of storage, very comfy seat and lots of room, adjustable windshield on the go.

Reasons I went with the AK550 : very engaging to ride, superb Brembo breaks, with 15grams sliders acceleration is 5.5sec 0-60 (compare to Burgman 650 7.8sec 0-60), also much lighter than the Burgman 650, lots of gadgets including navigation and full phone connectivity, much better looking. Almost the same price as used Burgman 650.

Bonus picture, my dog Freyja mama is pregnant with 8 puppies in her belly waiting to come out any time now. We monitor her day and night...

Attached Files:

DandyDoug, rjs987 and Stubanger like this.
  15. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In case you missed it... that post was in jest. I know that would be way over priced for my Burgman 650. In todays market even the prices being asked on CyclcTrader.com are a little high. I actually bought mine 2.5 years ago for a significant discount from what is being asked today for the same model with more miles. I agree that the older version of the Burgman looked fat. One of the reasons it earned the nick name of Lardy. The newer version that I have is slimmer and not so fat looking IMO. And so far I have no problem keeping up with the ST1300 and BMW sport touring riders that I camp with in some very twisty roads, usually at least equal those riders even without using power mode or simulated manual shifting mode (I know I'd be left behind on a long straight level stretch of road due to simply top speed limits. But then so would every super scooter on the market). I do know that the AK 550 has a little less leg room than the Burgman 650 but its seat is just a smidgen lower. I found out from a recent Dr visit that I'm shrinking. Lost almost a half inch overall in the last 3-4 years. I also find I have more than enough leg room on my Burgman so maybe a little less that the AK 550 allows will fit me... if not now then in just a few years :twitch
  16. Scootertime

Scootertime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Ak 550 is more of a sports bike, the Burgman 650 is more of a long distance commuter. I wouldn't sell the Burgman 650. If you are like me and you live in a huge city and do 80% city riding, then the AK550 makes more sense.
  17. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to do 80% commuting to work or errands around town. The commute included 11 miles of beltway/Interstate through the middle of the city with about a mile of city streets at each end going TO work and getting out of town to country roads ASAP for a longer ride home. The rest of my riding would be 4 day weekend camping trips to meet up with the ST-Owners group camp and ride events. Since retirement I don't have the commute but still have errands to run once in a bit while. So the city streets miles are now much less... maybe 30% or less. And I now ride for pleasure on rural county and state roads but stay off Interstate highways as much as possible. I also still do those 4-6 day weekend camping trips.

Likely I'll be holding onto my Burgman 650 until I can't any more (or until my urge to get something new overrides my good sense, which does happen on occasion). The Corbin seat on my Burgman is just too comfortable to give up at this point. I can ride all day every day on it. Like I said... that post was in jest.
  18. Scootertime

Scootertime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How many miles did you have on your AK 550 before you changed the first oil? I'm an AK550 owner too.
  19. Cerberus44233

Cerberus44233 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FBC just got four in, I just bought one.