Alan on a Christini AWD 450DS across Australia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by waterlogged, Mar 21, 2017.

1. waterlogged

waterlogged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello All,

In a couple of weeks I fly into Brisbane to pick up my new Christini AWD 450DS. My intention is to ride home to the center of the known Universe, otherwise known as Mukinbudin, (POP. 200) An Epic trip of roughly 4500 Km's.

My rough route is Brisbane, Birdsville, across the Simpson Desert to Alice Springs, from there down the Great Central Road to Laverton and on through to Mukinbudin (Muka).

Trip home from Brisbane.jpg

I'm just popping this short summary in as I want to be able to link to it for those that are interested.

Cheers.
    Al.
    #1Fan, mbanzi, johnnybgood8 and 3 others like this.
  2. 515

515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looking forward to this ;)
  3. raiderone

raiderone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following
  4. RblueR

RblueR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With ya.
  5. Tyrepower

Tyrepower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Started school on Nungarin, sister born in Muka. I'll follow along.
  6. waterlogged

waterlogged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for signing up! I'll try and make it interesting.....

Tyrepower, as I said mate, center of the known universe.... :lol3 :lol3
  7. BIG OIL

BIG OIL Loooozer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. waterlogged

waterlogged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yippee, its on....... Left home an hour ago and now sitting waiting for the train to Perth.

Thanks to Jan, my sister in law for bringing me over to Merredin.

All going well, I fly out of Perth at 11:30pm, land in Brisbane at 0500, catch another train down to the bike and pick it up about 0900.
    Later......

1491123988376-243036837.jpg
    BIG OIL likes this.
  9. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. waterlogged

waterlogged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Arrived in Brisbane and caught the train, with a slight detour by bus around one section due to the flooding caused by cyclone Debbie.

Bike wasn't quite ready so lay around at my sisters, which wasn't a bad thing as I had only had 4 hours sleep in 48 hours!

Picked up the bike on Tuesday and rode it around to get the k's up for the first service. Took it on the motorway en-route to picking up the fuel bladders. I'm running a 16/52 sprocket combo, more on the motorway story latter!

Other than a mates Duccatti about 10 years ago, I haven't ridden a bike for 30 years, so today was interesting / enjoyable! I was never good on dirt bikes and I have to learn to trust the tyres. I did huge kilometres on bikes when I was young and it's very true when people say "Once you learn how to ride a bike, you never forget"

Moving house today to stay with my mate Anthony to do 'man stuff with man tool's' as my sister says! As luck would have it, he also lives on the Gold Coast, hopefully just across from a Burnings Superstore!

OK, signing out for the minute.will post pics later today /tomorrow.
  11. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In, should be some good pics out of this one...
  12. waterlogged

waterlogged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, things have been a little slow as I've been waiting for parts . They all turned up today so I took the bike over to the shop and Paul changed the oil and filter for me. We also replaced an indicator that looked as though it had perished and broken off. I picked up the spare tyre and a couple of tubes, threw everything on the back and headed back to Anthony's place to put the front rack on.

Tomorow I'll chuck everything on board, spend a bit of time with Anthony and his wife Irene, then head over to see my sister and head off on Saturday morning. All in all it's not been too bad, I had hoped to get away a couple of days earlier so I'm not to upset about the timing, however, I'm pleased that I can go at anytime now.

Here's a few pics of the bike. I come from an extensive remote area bicycle touring background so have bought some ideas with me regarding the use of space on a bike. Try not to have a fit!!!!

DSC_0002.JPG

IMG_20170405_110022.JPG

IMG_20170406_152438.JPG

IMG_20170406_155858.JPG
    rodr and edd-nor like this.
  13. waterlogged

waterlogged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20170406_180345.JPG

IMG_20170406_180412.jpg
    edd-nor likes this.
  14. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
  15. Tyrepower

Tyrepower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, the flat screen tv looks cool.
    Monzo, waterlogged and sages like this.
  16. waterlogged

waterlogged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So it's been a while since I updated........ a frustrating while I might add!! Some planned, most not.....

OK, I'll try and get things in the order they happened,

I fitted the front rack I bought over, it came off a front suspension fat bike I have. I made both the suspension and the rack. Anthony, my mate on the Gold Coast, and I had very little trouble fitting it with the help of Bunnings and it ended up going on quite nicely. The first day riding around with the front panniers went quite well. However, the next day the ambient temp went up and things went a bit North in regards to engine coolant temp, so much so that the radiator boiled in the stop start traffic. That was a Saturday so there was much phucin phucin being muttered may I assure you!! I searched the net for some oversized radiators to suit a CRF450X, yeah, good luck with that!! I sent a text to Jeff asking if he knew where I could get some, he's the Christini importer here in OZ, and bugga me dead, he sent back saying he had a set. I arranged to scoot out to his place and pick them up.....life was sweet again..... I then started to fit them, the right hand side one slipped in easily, the left hand side one slipped in....BUT....the interconnecting hose between the two fouled baddly with the front drive shaft. The fouling was caused by the outlet pipe's incorrect angle, after carefully assessing the required angle and asking Anthony if he knew of a welder that could weld Ali, I did what my brother, a good farmer, would do and bent the shit out of it with what I had available to me in the basement carpark of a multi story flat complex. It goes without saying it worked a treat and I now have ~3mm clearance between said hose and said driveshaft....... Life is sweet!!!!! To monitor the temp I modified an oven temp gauge and Sikaflexed it to the top LHS tank, works like a charm! Pics to follow.

Radiator DONE....sweet.....

Noise...one of the criteria for this bike was noise, or more to the point, lack thereof! Everyone I spoke to reckoned it was quiet........let's remember I'm coming from a push bike, now I don't expect this thing to be silent but it sure as shit needs to be quieter than it is now. On the net once again, as luck would have it I find a place in Carrara, not far from where I was staying, called Pipework Techniques, whom I rang first thing Monday morning. Noel, the owner / operator suggested I take the bike around so he could look at the silencer, which I did. His prognosis was that the silencer was actually good quality but the tail pipe didn't stick out quite far enough and so caused the gas to 'fart' a bit. He cut an extension and tacked it on and told me to ride the bike around and ring him in the morning to let him know what I thought. I left and rode around the block, went back and said "Do you want to make some money?" "How quiet do you want it?" "Postie bike quiet" was my reply. I left the bike with him and he gave me a loaner to ride. He provides a great service.

To be continued......gotta charge the laptop backup......
  17. DanBarwick

DanBarwick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in!
  18. waterlogged

waterlogged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right, the laptops charged!

So Noel guts the muffler, adds a baffle some fiberglass mat a new end cap and it makes a huge difference, still not Postie bike quiet but heaps better than trail bike loud and still breathes OK! I've since heard a VStrom, now that was the sort of quietness I was looking for. TBH, it appears the motor noise is now the issue.

Anyway, muffler done and heaps better.....sweet.

So I leave the Gold Coast, it's Thursday arvo about 2 PM. I head off for a free camping spot that Anthony's told me about, get a bit lost on Tamborine Mountain, follow a great rim ride with some great views, pick up some supplies at Beaudesert and head out to Lake whatever to camp, parp....wrong, all camping ceased as of 1/1/2017....out with Wikicamps and off to the next place, parp....only for pre-booked groups, out with Wikicamps and off to Boonah, free camping, parp.....only for self contained RV's and caravans. En-route to Boonah I'm heading around a right hander with double white lines when some muppet pops up on my side of the road, overtaking some other muppet, luckily I was keeping to the left so didn't have to move far but they only just missed me by about a meter, when a car flashes past that close it makes one realized just how fast the impact speed would be, anyway, I hope he totally shat his pants, threw a few choice expressions over my shoulder and carried on unperturbed, then me Fu*&^n main headlight went out!. Then I started to get a bit bothered 'cuse it was getting dark . After Boonah I went to Wikicamps, who by this time, I'm losing a bit of faith in, and it assured me Fassifern was the place to be.....so off I went, with no lights other than the parking light and the full moon, which hadn't risen yet!!! I only had to do 15 Km's but it was pretty hairy at 80 Kph! I arrived at Fassifern and was relieved to find I could stay there, although I had already decided I was going to stay come whatever!!

The lights still don't work!!

Next morning it was up early and off towards Goodiwindi [pronounced Gundiwindi] via Warwick and Inglewood. During this day the challenge was fuel...... Filled up at Boonah and toddled off, got about 100 K's out and the bike starts farting and spluttering like its outta control, pull over, have a look in the tank, still half a tank, keep going, runs OK for about 10 K's and starts it's dance again, I pull over, rip the saddle bags off to get into the airbox, it's got a shitload of engine oil in the drain plug and quite a bit on the filter foam, I drain that out , discovering the drain cap is totally perished and not worth a pocket full of cold water, I clean the foam and the airbox, check for air leaks in the fuel system and put all my shit back on and off I go, still with no real idea of what is wrong. Bike runs like a charm, I pull in for fuel and off again, bike runs for about 90 K's and it's on again, this time I crack the fuel cap on the move to have a look, same same, half a tank, put the cap on and discover if I squirt the throttle it seems to keep going, so I do this for about 10 minutes but get tired of it and pull over. By this time I've only got about 15 K's to Gundy and I'm not pulling the whole shit and kiboodle apart on the side of the road again so off I go, it spits and farts and I slow down to 45 - 50 Kph because I'm convinced it's starving for fuel, this works and gets me into Gundy where I go straight to a caravan park where the thieving women charges me 30 bucks for a scungy tent site. I was literally too knackered to argue, put the tent up and crawled into bed. Did I mention it was about 35 degrees C in the shade today....

Man, touring by motorcycle is a great life...............where's my bloody bicycle when I need it ?????

Next morning it was up early and ..........no NOT on the road......... but strip the bike down. Off with the tank, off with all the fuel lines and fuel cock, pull the tank filter out, inspect the coil wires and HT lead. Couldn't find anything wrong, BUT, did notice that maybe I'd been running the fuel cock in the wrong position [main not reserve] that'll do it says I, load all the shit and hightail it out the park before the witch charged me for another day because I was not checked out before 10 AM. Filled up with fuel, also filled up one of the 10 L bladders and headed off to St George. Hit the hundred K mark and bingo, same bloody thing, really started to get pissed off now..... don't touch anything but pull over, off with gloves helmet earplugs etc, undo the fuel cap and hear a definite hissing of air, so easy peesy, breather must be blocked!!!! whip it off huff and puff through it, all good, bloody typical!!!! Don't fill up but hit the road and all runs well until the tank is empty. Filled up from the bladder, which works like a charm with it's screw on spout. [got them made by Liquid Containment on the Gold Coast]
    Off I go, 100 K's same same, crack the cap, all good till I empty the tank, do that till I get to St George where I stay at a caravan park for 20 bucks a night, with grass and " Yes Mate, plug your phone into the power outlet, no charge!" Still no idea about the fuel.

Next morning, up early and on the road to Cunnamulla, fill up a 10 L and a 5 L bladder as well as the tank as I wasn't sure of the fuel situation en-route. So get to 100 K's.......and keep on keeping on, NO farting or spluttering of the motor.......life is SWEET.....

Man, touring by motorcycle is a great life...............

Get about 20 K's further down the road and I think "That spare tyre looks a bit odd, bugga it, I'll check it when I refuel" Yeah well, about 2 minutes later I hear this bloody great bang from behind me, I've got no idea what's going on but hit the brakes and come to a screamin' halt, plonk me feet down, turn around, my spare isn't where it normally is, strapped on top of my case and there's all the shit that's either in it or with it, including my 120 buck 5 L bladder is lying on the deck in various states of disarray..... "Fu&* me dead" I think, " If it's not one thing, it's another" So I park the bike well off the road and go over to my "Has to mangled Bladder" but other than a few marks, it's full of fuel, no leaks and looking pretty good. Paid one twenty for that, best money ever......... Thanks Paul if you're reading this. Liquid Containment guys, remember that name, it hit the deck between 80 and 90 Kph.......and survived.......I also had 2 MSR Dromedary water bladders, they're the HD ones, they both hit the deck and survived, one totally intact and one had it's cap torn off but I found that and it still holds water, good gear is expensive but when the shit hits the fan, it's worth it!
    Why did it all part company??? wasn't sure, but the rack itself was a bit on the loose side, couldn't see anything major but didn't feel like taking it all to bits as it was mid 30's and I wanted to get mobile, so just chucked all the shit back on and rode off. The only causality was my coolant concentrate that had it's lid ripped off.

So, my tank work around is cutting the mustard, my gears staying put and I'm counting Emu's, of which there were dozens. Life is sweet.......

Tee junction ahead, 4 K's to Cunnamulla, slow down, change down, bang BANG, FU#^(N, CLUNK, WHIRRR, 'WTF IS IT NOW???????" I shout at no-one in particular......

I pull up, get off, " THE BLOODY CHAIN HAS BROKEN" I once again shout at no-one in particular....... so I wheel it over to a patch of bitumen where I can get the chain off without it getting dirt and shite all over it, it's jammed in pretty tight but I'm pretty pissed off and just reefed the bastard of a thing out with a couple of good tugs. I then realize it's not broken, it had a joining link in it and it's come off, now I'm really pissed off, joining links don't just pop off after 1000 K's, they only 'pop' off if they're on back [battery time....]
  19. waterlogged

waterlogged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    if they're on backwards or the clip is on the inside. So, once again I'm wandering around looking for bits off my bike and pretending to have 20/20 vision. I found the joiner but stuffed if I could find the plate or clip. During this time about 10 people have gone past and only one, a pommie tourist, had the common decency to stop.
    So I lay out my bit of tow rope because there is no way on this little blue planet that I'm pushing 200 Kg's of bike 4 frigging K's in 30 something degrees to get to town. So I sit and wait, and within a couple of minutes a car comes from the same direction as me and I flag it down, my first question, "You got a tow ball mate?" "yep" he says, "I've lost me chain" says I. Out he hops, "Mate, I'll tow you back to my place, I've got shit loads of bikes and I reckon I might even have a joining link" Easy peesy, off we go to 'his' Sparrow's place. "Bloody hell" I think, "there is a God after all" Well Sparrow has got a joining link and it is a 520 and after about 20 minutes and a yak and a look at his VStrom he's just finished rebuilding after totaling it 2 Septembers ago and nearly killing himself in the process, I ride out of his gate to one of the local caravan parks where I get a site, with lush green grass, for 10 bucks a night!!!!! and I sleep like the dead.......thank you very much!!!!! Life is sweet!!!!

So, that brings us to today, Easter Monday of 2017. Up early and rip all the shit off the bike to see if I can find out why the rack is loose, sure did, it's busted completely on one side and cracked on the other, and the bucket of snot is alloy. So there I am swearing at no-one in particular, when along comes Sparrow, to whom I show the offending part. "Not a problem" says he, after using suitable words of wisdom to describe the use of alloy in the bush, there's a bloke on the main street who welds alloy, so it's off to see him tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be able to weld it up and weld a couple of tabs on as I want to add some stiffener braces, made of good old steel mind you.
    While I had it propped up on it's stand, I changed the rear sprocket back to the original 48 toother, which I bought along in case I felt I'd made a blue fitting the 52. I think I had, particularly for the open road!
    I also discovered the main fuel line from the fuel cock to the carby is being fouled by the AWD chain. It just touches it by a bee's dick but it's enough to have worn through the first layer of rubber in just a thousand K's. I considered bending the inlet pipe to the carby but because it's a press fit into the carby body, I decided it was too dicey. I rotated the hose so it has full thickness where the chain is and I intend to pick up a meter of fuel line to take with me.
    I sorted my gear into 'keep' and 'send home' piles. Because of the piss ant stator this bike has, I can't charge anything, including my tablet, so I'm sending home the drone, GoPro's, this laptop, my good camera and all of it's associated gear, which totals 9 Kg. I'm also sending home all bar another change of clothes and a heap of shit I haven't used since leaving the Gold Coast. Go light I say..... in other words, make room for another decent sized battery for the tablet through the Simpson.

OK people, that's the written update done. I'll post some pics, of which I haven't taken heaps of due to the frustrated nature of the trip so far, hopefully things will look up when I leave here, although I believe it'll be all dirt from here on, I guess we'll see what falls to bits on that section.......stay tuned but don't hold your breathe!!!!! Live in hope, die in despair.....

Signing out for the minute, next post will be pics.
  20. waterlogged

waterlogged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The loaner

IMG_20170410_162232.JPG

The loaner loaded. I cut the top off these 10 L water containers and slipped them into the front panniers so they held their shape. I did the same with the rear panniers.

IMG_20170412_090811.JPG

The 'You beaut Alan Melville, temp gauge conversion'

IMG_20170412_150454_1.JPG

See that yellow thing, it's a Krypnonite disc lock, tip #1, don't try and ride away with it still engaged while you're buying stuff at Bunnings, just sayin'...that's all!

IMG_20170414_070619.JPG
    edd-nor likes this.