ALARR IV - 4th Annual Latin American Riders' Rallye

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Nata Harli, Mar 8, 2011.

1. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    I like riding through Margaritas lobby:D
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    When I was there, you had to put you bike in the lot at their private residence, about 1 1/2 blocks away.
    It's been a few years since I stayed there.

Juanita's in Batopilas is a ride into lobby kinda deal.
  3. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    It's definitely the charging system. Unfortunately those parts are hard to come by locally. I put a post out on the local forum and an inmate and fellow airhead owner has come to the rescue and loaned me and the Kawi shop a diode board, rotor and stator. They replaced the diode board yesterday and that wasn't the problem. So, today they're going to try first replacing the rotor, then if that doesn't work, the stator. If that doesn't solve the problem I don't know what I'm going to do.

I had a friend who strapped a car battery to the back of his bike once like your buddy. I would do that if it weren't for the fact that the rig is sold and I'm delivering it to the new owner. I'd like to get it fixed properly if I can.

So, I'm still stranded in Longmont. Hoping to get out of here today. Unfortunately, I now have to go through parts of Boulder and Denver which will make my day much longer once I get on the road.
  4. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Wish I had ridden my Harley again this year.I'd come up and tow Nata Harli to Taos with my Harley.
  5. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    :D

We now know there's at least one Harley rider in the universe who has a sense of humor. And, I know of one BMW rider who's slowly losing his! :puke1

I just talked with the owner of Sipapu and she said to just check in at the main office when any of you FFs get there and they will help you out. Some of you will probably arrive before I do. In fact, the way it's looking, most of you will. :cry

To show you that she also has a sense of humor she asked us what our plans were for meals. :D I told her this was a "Latin" really which means we usually operate without any plans. Anyway, she said the restaurant on site is open from 11am until 8pm if we want to have lunch or dinner there.
  6. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine was too fat to get through, I just left mine on the porch and had no problems. Kinda blends in from a distance:lol3
    [​IMG]

Of course in late January the weather was not ideal in Creel, had to ride through a snowstorm in San Juanito, but perfect weather down in the canyons:deal
  7. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Well know we know your bike doesn't take after you. :evil
  8. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    I can hide when I need to or know I need to:lol3 But this one time, in Cuba, I didn't know...:rofl

Hope you get that bike sorted out, I hope to be there by Friday sometime. Big Birthday Party Saturday evening?
  9. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Oh Jesus Mary and Joesph! DIODE BOARD! Stator? Sheeesh!
    My mistake ... I thought you were riding a KLR not your beemer. I should have known. Kawi dealer reference threw me off. Best of luck getting sorted. :1drink

Man ... I'm just stunned you guys still hassle with these Diode boards, bad stators and what not. I had the EXACT same issues on my '81 R80 GS over 25 years ago. I thought the aftermarket had totally solved all this stuff? :eek1

What are you replacing your BMW with?
  10. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    I'm in a pickup truck with a supermoto in the bed, so I'm pretty sure I get a DQ. :1drink

I'm going to arrive tomorrow around 2-3pm if I wake up at a reasonable hour. I'm in Clovis, NM tonight.
  11. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    Ok Ken, do you want me to drive over the hill and pick you and your bike up and drop you off in NM. I can't stay for the rally but I'll sure as hell give you a lift. I can be in Boulder tomorrow morn. If you want the offer, call my house, 970.963.3366 or my cell 970.948.6878.
  12. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    My 1150GS went through no problem. Just took off the system cases.
  13. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    mine was a little plump and I was just a little too lazy, besides I've never had any problems with theft yet, I just take off all the loose stuff and lock up the boxes.
  14. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I went through there last week- Truth or Consequences.
  15. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Wisconsinite-Panamanians consider all of Minnesota to be West of the Mississippi. If the radio stations start with a K, then it's West.

On account of the bikini girl, I keep trying to forget all about last year's rallye.

I'm starting to see the wisdom in moving the meeting to Mexico. Maybe late Fall. I plan on being busy next summer. This is the kind of riding I've been doing lately. This was yesterday. It gets good at about 20 seconds.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8rov_rok7mk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a short video from a few weeks ago. Same kind of jump.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GQ5tXEPA3n0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Even though my dad's been in the hospital about 3 out of every 10 days lately, I'm going to go back to competing on the horse. And if he does what I think he'll do, I'll be riding him in Europe next summer. Unless plans change, I'll be back by October of '12, and I'll be itching for a ride to Copper Canyon.
  16. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friday for me also , but just one night . Got to work on Sunday. See ya !
  17. Discojon75

Discojon75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be up late tomorrow night on an overloaded blue KLR.
  18. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    First problem I've ever had in 4 years of owning this bike. So, no aftermarket stuff on it.

I've got a '92 GS awaiting me in my garage when I get home. I've got it at a friend's shop having him go over it and do a little preventive maintenance before I take off for Nova Scotia on it. Probably can't catch a charging system getting ready to go bad, though.

Rick,

Thanks so much for the offer. I walked down to the Kawi dealer from my motel room on Wednesday morning and my bike was just about ready. I left Longmont about an hour later and this is the first internet service I've had since then. I rode into Taos to get some wifi so I could catch up.

This is a great area for riding, as I'm sure you know. Wish you and Chris could have made it. Maybe next year.

Ken
  19. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    One guess as who blew a clutch today riding off road.:evil

It's been another great ALARR. Time to start planning for next year.:deal
  20. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    We got home just fine.

Had a blast, and it was nice meeting new friends. Looking forward to the next ALARR.