ALARR IV - 4th Annual Latin American Riders' Rallye

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Nata Harli, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Jon and I got the sidecar successfully delivered to Alamogordo yesterday evening, went out for some great BBQ and then crashed.

I made it back to KC in one piece.

Thanks to everyone for another successful ALARR. I had a great time seeing some old friends and making some new ones. :clap

I hope to see some, most or all of you at next year's ALARR!!!!
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    DaveG and I in the clapent Mazdo super truck just made it back to Ptown about 30 min after a nice entertaining 700 miler.

Was a great time, pictures and some stories to load sometime coming up. Good to have great pals and meet new ones:freaky
  3. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was great meeting you guys. Glad I went.:freaky

Great spot for a get together.

Maybe I'll see some of ya'll on the way down south.
  4. catfishingguide

catfishingguide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    to meet all that made it , i have made it to chihuahua mx still headed south to learn spanish :freaky pemex stations have been a very good start i cant beleave how many that speak english now may just hang out there for a few days
  5. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got home Monday night.100+ thru Texas and 108-110 thru Oklahoma.Spent the night in Tulsa.95 degrees at 9:30 pm.

This was a great LARR for me.Good to put some more faces to the names.Daveg wet my appetite for Asia.My wife may shoot you.Throttlemeister may need to change his name to clutchmeister after our ride in Mora.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    This is a picture of his seminar on how to hide a broken bike out in the middle of nowhere.Probably couldn't find this bike with GPS coordinates anyway.
  6. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Are you still sleeping in that hammock?
    Hope the Spanish lessons go well for you.Seems like most that take lessons say they need another month or two when they are done.
  7. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great meet up guys , sorry I had to cut out early , work was calling , ....and then it wasn't ! MF'r !!!! .. good putting some faces to names , see ya next time or "down there" somewhere. Panama this Dec , Jan ,Feb ... whooo hoooo
  8. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Way to go Anthony:clap Glad you and Kristie(y) are getting to head South for a little while. Hope you guys have a great trip and it was great meeting you. Again thanks for help loading up my old heavy bike too.

That's what I've been putting up with most of the summer, makes it a little tough to want to get out on a bike for sure.

That's what I like to call technical big bike riding:lol3 It was that clutch's time, it had held up for a long time and we just happened to be in the sticks. Thanks for all the help Doug:thumb

Hey Mundobravo nice to meet you too. It's Ed right:ear I was glad to meet many new faces and still working on getting those names right:D

I'll try and get some pictures up shortly...
    Edit: Apparently this hospital's internet policy won't allow access to smugmug:cry
  9. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    The IV Latin Rally

It started off as a hot SOB leaving Oklahoma a little afternoon as I finished up some last minute details. As I blasted on my way West along the super hot black aspahlt and just slightly cooler concrete sections of I44 and I40 I began thinking that the super heated roads might just eat up the tkc a little quicker than I anticipated and always wanting to try and be prepared and not stuck until Tuesday somewhere out West looking for a tire I pulled into OKCBMW and picked up a spare from Ron the parts guy along with two super-duty tie down straps that they ship the new bikes over with from Germany. Oh did I mention it was a little freakin hot, Doug knows what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

Stapped on the new rubber for safety and took off to the West after waiting out that deadly 3-4o'clock hour in the confort of the AC and water cooler in OKCBMW.
    [​IMG]

I made great time running down the big roads trying to eat as much of the nearly 700 mile trip in the daylight as I could. The heat finally began to let up as I reached the higher elevations of the Texas panhandle and passing the Cadilac Ranch on my way up to the cooler temperatures of New Mexico and 4000+ feet. I started filled up in Pryor Creek, stopped for fuel after I picked up my tire in OKC, stopped once again in Shamrock Texas for McDonalds and my third tank topoff and took my exit off I40 and headed on up to Las Vegas, NM in the dark and stormy night. I rode through some on and off showers and made my way into Las Vegas half dried out and picked up a 6 of Pacifico for something to help me sleep a little better in my coffin of a tent sans my favorite little cot. The garmin routed me to a Sipapu Campsite that was about 4 miles short from my actual goal and it took a couple of passes in the dark before I headed on down the road and saw a sign for the proper spot of the resort. There was the New Mexico state frisbee golf tourney going on and the place was fairly packed and a few of the friendly players in one of the moblie homes got me directed around to the camp groud where I saw some familiar bikes but everyone except DiscoJon75 from Alamogordo was sleeping. There was a light rain falling as we shared a few of the pacificos before turning in for the night.
    Here is the next morning after taking a slow ride in for breakfast in Mora:
    [​IMG]
    A litle speed error artifact as the ole mule can pull those big numbers or at least I won't beat on it that hard:puke1

Had a super nice breakfast with most of the crew that following morning retracing some of my track on the way to the campsite. I had loads of coffee and a Jacobie special that I highly recommend:deal Place called Kristy's Korner Kafe or KKK or Kcubed for short:lol3
    [​IMG]

Here's Ken's neat hack rig he delivered out to its new owner DiscoJon from Alomagordo who I'd shared a few beers with the night before:freaky

Had a nice long relaxing breakfast with stories flying across the table with lots of good conversation with Jim, Howard, Ed, Doug, Jon, Ken, Marty and his wife who I can remember and it seemed to be one or two more on the far end of the table who I can't recall. After the long breakfast a lot of the riders took off on some routes, me and along with three other amigos tagging along took off for what seemed on the gps to me to be a nice little loop back around to the main road heading back to camp, little did I know it wasn't going to be so easy. DisocoJon, Jimmy20/20, and Doogle signed on for a wild bit of bushwacking that I'm sure they didn't expect or did I for that matter. We where a motely crew on a new and old version of the KLR, a light explorer bike wrx and me on the old mule bombing through the woods. We where making nice time and then came upon a truck on the same track and he wasn't too interested in letting us around so I jumped at the first turnoff I found that showed to loop around in the woods on the garmin's screen. All the tracked off that turn petered out pretty quick and got into barely passable small track that weren't fitting to our needs. Almost got a little split up in the forest before regrouping and heading back out to the road where the truck wouldn't let us around. Hoping this was the main through route we eagerly headed down the nice forest service road as it led up to a firewood cutting area and we came back upon the truck we where previously following. We continued passed the wood cutting area and search diligently for and exit employing a little bit of bushwacking trying to find a pass but coming up in defeat finding three locked gates not more than a mile from our goal. I wondered around a bit looking for an out but giving in and returning on the same little tracks that had brought us down in the area of the locked gates.
    I took a few of one of our breaks in the woods where we would send Jimmy on his little scout bike to check for any leads:
    [​IMG]
    DiscoJon was the hottest of us all in his full 'stich suit and was happy for the breather along with the rest of us, it was a nice day to be in the woods so far afterall...
    [​IMG]
    It was a little tough going on the big bikes trying to find a path where you could fit and avoid the biggest rocks and stumps. I had to work the ole mule pretty hard and got a good wiff of the clutch from time to time. Accepted defeat we headed back up our known track navigating around numerous falling trees once again as we climbed back up toward the firewood cutting area and on to better roads retreating back the way we'd come into the forest.
    [​IMG]

As we climbed back up in elevation up to the firewood cutting area there where a series of cut run-off berms that a dozer had piled up that had to be crossed. Some had bypasses and some didn't, on one particular one it was steep and had a small mudhole on the upward side that was holding some water in and made for a bit of a slippery spot. I crossed the peak of the berm and barrelled off into the muddy spot and it shot up the pack on the hill side and I laid it off on the bike's side and somehow popped it into neurtal as I was quick to lift it back upright and then it easily rolled uncontrolled back down into the middle of the hole and flopped over on its other side. Now getting down in the middle of it and dead lifting the stricken mule I got it upright easy enough and then trying not to all out and roost Doug behind me I spun it free from the slop and heading on up hill to attack the next bulldozed berm cresting it and coming out the other side and noticed the clutch had quick pulling in gear:cry I was hoping it wasn't but a quick review of the systems proved true and I was dead in the mountains on a small track way down hill with a couple of berms to go before getting back up to the firecutting area, sure is nice to be with friends:clap:clap:clap

Doug thought it was a good idea to let it cool and it was infact a perfect time for a break so that's what we did for a good half hour or so in the shade of the mid afternoon and started thinking about what to do with the big bike.

Got to post this before I loose any of this:deal
  10. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:

and Cuba too:D
  11. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I'm gonna need some new stickers:wink:

Hope you have a blast in Africa dude!
  12. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    outta here in 2 hours
  13. nightflyer

nightflyer Hors contrĂ´le

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed this rallye (at least I wasn't the one having problems with his battery and charging system this year:evil),

but where are the pictures of girls in bikinis and fat men in poncho towels (no, of course not, I am not refering to you John!)?

See you all at the ALARR V,
    I hope...
  14. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    :clap

If not John, then who?

Hope to see you next year.
  15. nightflyer

nightflyer Hors contrĂ´le

Oddometer:
    Okay! you win that one, it is John!!!!!!
  16. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    I'm like an ole bear, I fatten up in the summer for the lean times in the winter:lol3 I've got some more pictures to post up that Jim sent me when I get caught up some.

Hope to see you around one of these days Mr. Y:deal
  17. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I warned Ken a couple of weeks ago. Dr.Benny, Dave G, Barb, and LA Outback Trail know. Now the rest if you FF's can know: I finally found the best spot in North America for a US-Based Latin America Rider Rallye. It's a 180 acre farm, about 30 miles west of Spring Green, Wisconsin. It has bluffs, 3/4 of a mile of trout stream, a huge barn, and room for all of us to camp. There'll be a few miles of off-road trails, we can practice river-crossings, and every night we can have a bonfire every night. It feels remote, but it's only 3 miles to a gas station, 4 miles to a bar, 8 miles to a hospital, and 25 miles to outdoor theater, and 45 miles to a strip club. It'll be free except for porta johns and food.
  18. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:

Sounds perfect!
  19. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    45 miles to a strip club.
    na ... too far
  20. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer: