Alaska 2007

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Sam Buca, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    I have heard of so many people stating that they intend riding in Alaska during summer 2007, that it is almost becoming a ADVrider event.

Why do we not use this thread to share ideas, form a support group and get the most out of such a venture.

========================================================
    The Yukon ALCAN log book is in place at Sally's as of today. It's easy to find at the southeast corner of the junction of the 1 (ALCAN) and 37 (Stewart-Cassier) just next to the scales.

For the GPS minded: N 60 01.558 W 129 03.552

NOTE: Sallys' closed on Saturdays.... sorry!!

========================================================

Who is going:
    PM me your handle and the times you intend going and I will update this first page with the information:

Sandiegoland: June 2006 from San Diego.
    ericb67: Leaving Chicago July 20 returning September 10, 2007.
    zombie: Leaving Cape Cod, Massachusetts on Friday, 22nd of June 2007 with my mate and two BMW GS1150adv's for 5 weeks.
    ere109: Leaving Denver probably June 29/30. Our plan is to ride for four weeks.
    Jacqueline L.: From Florida. I have been been planning my adventure to Alaska for 6 months now. I will leave out of Florida the first week in April on my 2006 F650GS, arriving in Alaska in May. I have registered for the Hyder Seek. I plan on staying in Alaska until mid-Sept. Would like to meet up with others while in Alaska, to ride some routes. Like Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay.
    ToyHauler: I'm headed up to Alaska June 7 - 25 2007. First time to Alaska! Riding on a VStrom 650 and going solo!
    GRINDER: I will be in Anchorage, Alaska June 28 th, 2007 to do the trip to Prudhoe bay and back. I'm going to have Phil freeman of Alaska Tours set up a self guided tour for me. If any one of like mind would like to join up for the trip there and back, please contact me and we can discuss it. I don't think it wise to tackle this alone. I'm riding solo from Burlington, Ontario Canada to be there for June 28th or earlier to have a set of knobbies put on the vstrom 650. I've just about got the bike outfitted like the rental tour bikes. Self guided site: http://www.akrider.com/sgtour.html
    HeadingNorth: Starts out late June 2007 with my brother. Leaving from Boise Idaho. Heading North is on a 650 V-Strrom Brother is on a KTM 950. To Deadhorse, Denali Park, Valdez, Top Of The World Highway.
    TUFELHUNDEN: I'm Leaving Orange County, CA on July 2nd and returning home on or about July 30th. The plan is to make it to Prudhoe Bay.
    RSTed1000: I'm going to be making an Iron Butt Ultimate Coast to Coast from Key West to Deadhorse starting on June 1st. Once I'm in Alaska, around June 14th, I'll spend two weeks riding and sightseeing with no schedule planned, just a list of "must see's". WIl be riding an 05' R1200GS.
    vtwin: I am planning on riding up from the San Francisco Bay Area from the middle of June and return before July 4th. Meeting folks I'm riding with in Seattle. Will straight shot it to Prudhoe, stopping as needed. On the way back, will catch the ferry from either Haines or Skagway to Prince Rupert for a much needed time off the bike. Then continue the ride home.
    Bulitt: I am planning to leave Baltimore on July 11, go to the national BMW rally, July 12-15 and then over to Top of the Rockies rally in Paonia Colorado July 19-22 and then head up to Anchorage the morning of July 22. Figure I can get to Anchorage in 7 days and to meet my wife who will fly there to meet me. Planning to leave Anchorage on Aug 4th for a two day ride to Haines to catch the ferry sailing on Aug 6th to Bellingham. Then back across to Baltimore. I am a "young" 49, like to party a bit and will be riding an 02 1150RT. Would very much like to have a riding companion or two for the trip from Paonia to Anchorage. I used to live in Anchorage so we will be visiting friends there and won't be traveling around the state.
    Restorganize: I will be leaving Houston Texas in earlyish June, and headed to Prudhoe Bay, Inuvik and as many other places as possible in 4-6 weeks. I will be riding my 05 GS Adventure, and I think RUSGSRIDER will be going with me. I look forward to meeting as many people as possible.
    Zombie: Leaving Cape Cod on June 22nd to head to Prudhoe Bay with me mate and two 1150 Adv's. Mick.
    Adamb29: Leaving Nashville, TN July 1. Returning to Nashville on August 10.
    GroundChuck / BikerChick: Plan to leave Seattle late May and go to Inuvik and then down to Valdez and then back to Seattle on a pair of KLR's. Plan to take about 5 weeks.
    Rick Danger: I plan on attempting a solo trip this (2007) Aug-Oct from NYC. Might go by way of canadian maritimes unless my buddy decides to go along for 2-3 weeks. Then probably head straight out there across 80 or 90 and up. I have to decide if it will make sense to ship my TKC equipped extra set of wheels there or just buy TKC's somewhere and change em there.
    Robot: Leaving June 1st from Houston TX.
    Crainier: I'll be leaving Olympia, WA on June 21 and riding with friends to Homer, Anchorage , Denali, Fairbanks and up to Inuvik. From Inuvik, looking at the North Canol Road, Nahanni Range Road to Tungsten, Fort Simpson, Wrigley, Yellowknife, Wood Buffalo National Park and then work my way down through the Rockies to Montana. I'm riding a 1150 GS and looking for someone to travel the Inuvik to Montana piece of the trip with (mostly gravel roads).
    jwalters: Heading to Prudhoe Bay and south-central Alaska, from Coralville, Iowa. Riding with a friend on a DR650 and friend's KLR 650. We will be leaving June 15th and gone for a month. Possibly hitting the D2D if time permits.
    whizzerwheel: I am leaving mid June from New Hampshire and returning end of July. No itinerary, taking it as it comes.:D
    Little Faus: I am planning to drive my DL650 to Skagway, AK from Salt Lake in early July. Plan is to take ferry from Port Hardy, BC to Prince Rupert, BC, then up the Cassiar Highway. Would like some company.
    Brauhausbier: I'm leaving for Alaska on July 4th from Portland Oregon. Forrestbault is riding with me and meeting me in Portland from his home in Bend, OR. This will be my second trip to Alaska. My first trip in 2001 on a stock KLR was snowed out before I reached Prudhoe Bay in mid July. This time, a new 2006 KTM 950, and heated gear!
    Blackmaxx: I am going to be riding with ROBOT from South side of Houston (Clear Lake Area) to Alaska (Prudhoe Bay) Leaving Houston June 1st plan for trip approx 4 weeks.
    Tyrebitr: Leaving North Carolina mid June. Meeting up with whizzerwheel for most of the trip. Planning on about 5 weeks.
    skulldigger: I plan on leaving Helena Montana on June 17 on a 2007 GSA. May hit D2D, then plan on a tire change in Fairbanks or Anchorage if needed and then either north to Deadhorse, or Inuvik. Nothing set in stone. Plan on returning home July 7 or 8.
    Zinger: Leaving Southern OH around June 1st, heading west towards Montana and Wyoming, take Alcan up, and Stewart/Cassiar on the way back. Planning on 4-6 weeks. Currently going alone.
    Roninwva: I'm planning on leaving in June and return in July. I want to see it all, Alcan, Chicken, Tok, Arctic Circle, Cassier back to USA. I ride a 650 V-strom. Camping on the agenda. I live in West Virginia. I'm looking for a riding partner, if interested e-mail me and we'll talk.
    FyeahI'm40: I am meeting Restorganize somewhere in Co. to continue N. to Fairbanks to swap tires and continue on to Prudhoe Bay and fart around for a few weeks riding through out Alaska. He's leaving Houston June, 6 and I will intersect w/ him somewhere on my way N. I'm on A 2000 tiger and he's on a '05 GS and we hope to do a bit of camping and off road riding.
    AWOL: Leaving Edmonton 30 June 2007, up Cassiar to Watson Lake, Dawson City, Fairbanks via TOTW Hwy, to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, and back (probably same route... 16 days in all - wishing I had more time). 640 Adventure.
    m0to: A buddy and I are leaving on May 26th bound for Fairbanks and back from San Diego/LA area.
    H-Jay: Leaving Michigan June 4 on a red 1200GS. Plan to visit Deadhorse, Inuvik, Kenai Peninsula, Kennecott Mines, Skagway, Telegraph Creek and of course Dawson City for the D2D. Will spend at least 4-6 weeks, maybe more. Mostly camping.
    Stovepipe: I'll be heading out of San Francisco late June. Inuvik bound. Going over to Denali and Valdez, back through Hyder, (Jasper Banff if time allows) back to SF by the end of July. Riding a 1998KLR650 with two friends on their 1150GS's.
    Jackpod: Leaving Holland (MI) July 10: 12gs, 1150gs, 2 X 1150RTs. Deadhorse if weather and roads will allow RTs to follow.
    5oh!: Leaving Vancouver BC June 7th with a buddy, returning around the end of the month. No set track just some highlights areas on the map!
    mdeshazo: Going to leave on 27 May for approximately 3 weeks from Salt Lake City.
    BlackBeast: I leave Vancouver, B.C. on July 7th and Alaska bound for 3 weeks. Initially thought of doing the Deadhorse run, but now have decided to spend more time exploring more of what Alaska offers than just saying I went up North. Don't get me worng, it's probably for another Alaska trip. This trip is now 12 months in planning & can't wait to get going. I'm on a Black F650GS & travelling solo - so hopefully can hook up with a few of you along the way.
    bluebye: I will be leaving NW Georgia on July 1, 2007 for the Alaska region and returning to ga. around the 1st of Sept. Chris
    wfields888 and dougholck: are leaving Roseville, California on June 16th with our first milestone being Inuvick. Our next milestone will be Prudhoe Bay. See: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231032 and http://www.dellfields.com/ArcticCircle.html
    longrange DRZ: Leaving Lake Elsinore Ca on July 9th and dont have to be back untill August 5th. That leaves 28 days for riding. I should be in Prince George by the 12 or 13th. Camping most the time and seeing as many "ends of roads" and side trips as possible. Going on a DRZ! If you need a riding buddy and my time frame fits yours, Im in, lets ride.
    advela: June 10 - Leaving Los Angeles for Anchorage, Fairbanks, Purdhoe, solo (my riding partner backed out) on a DR650 mostly camping. Would like to hook up with others in route. Returning July 7.
    gfinder_trial: Leaving from NYC early-mid June on my 950 Adv. Planning to take 3ish weeks riding up to Denali, mostly camping, return ride later in the year. I had been planning the trip with a friend, but it's seeming less likely he'll be able to make it now. Looking for riders.
    natefalls: I'll be leaving LA on June 15th, and plan on reaching Fairbanks on the 21st or 22nd on the way to the arctic circle sign. I'll be on my DR650 with a friend on his SV650.
    ZONKR: Solo from Arizona on R1200GS. Leaving 6/10 at 0500 and figuring on 3+ weeks but I'm retired so all I've got is time. Wave if you see the yellow pig.
    teamgrizzly: I'm planning to ride from Vancouver to Anchorage, then back down to Prince Rupert via the Cassiar. I plan on getting the ferry to Vancouver Island and cruise down to Victoria and back home. I got two weeks booked off. July 14 - 29. (Is that enough?)
    Look for a clown on a loaded grey Wee-Strom, wearing an jacket and helmet with dragons on it. www.Teamgrizzly.ca
    sfmax: Me +1 (my dad) Aug 11-23. Me: Silver KTM 640, Dad: Green KLR 650 Anchorage-Fairbanks-Deadhorse-Fairbanks-Denali Hwy-Anchorage. We'll be fishing the last couple of days. Hope to see some ADV'ers there.

References:

Barb of buttpad fame from www.alaskaleather.com says the following:
    "Of course! We stock, mount & balance tires, you can change your own oil here, check email and get all sorts of advice and opinions at the shop in Anchorage. We'll even sew up your gear. I'm working on an awesome bunkhouse/hostel setup at my place in Homer."

Dust to Dawson Ride:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175238

Preparation:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4418994#post4418994

Previous Ride Reports:

Popeye's 2005 ride report:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104372

Richard Fawcett's ride report:
    http://www.louwhitney.com/Travelogues/Alaskan%20Journey_Richard%20Fawcett/index.htm

DantesDame's ride report:
    http://www.dantesdame.com/04alaska.htm

Kewl video ride report from B.E. Coyote:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163317&highlight=alaska+video

H-Jay's preparation for next year:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185884
  2. Farioli

Farioli "just do it"

Oddometer:
    Daniel,

I did it this year. My wife flew to ANK and we spent a long weekend in AK, she flew back to San Diego from Fairbanks.
    [​IMG]
  3. texasrider

texasrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Daniel.
    I did it this year, also. Left May 15, got home July 25. If you are riding, be sure to give yourself at least 10 days to get to AK. Some beautiful country in Canada you might want to take extra time there. My favorie ride to the Arctic Ocean was actually in Canada, Dawson City to Inuvik, on the Dempster Hwy, and back. Then from Dawson City to Chicken, AK, and on to Tok. Did the Haul Rd also, up to Prudhoe Bay, was worth the trip, but the Dempster was the better ride, more gas, and Inuvik was a real town, compared to Deadhorse (aptly named). Scenery and wildlife was spectacular on both. We were on XR650L's with 4.7 tanks, and had to carry gas on the Haul Rd., but on an Adventure, you wouldn't have that.
    After Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Homer, and Valdez, we spent 4 days in and around Haines, and did a lot of dual sport riding, and going to Skagway, waiting for our ferry ride south.
    Saw a lot of bikes in the state, largest numbers being GS's and Harleys. Lots of KLR's, DR's, and XRL's, also.
    What's mindboggling is if you travel every road and hiway, you'll only see about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the state. Enjoy.

A.C.
  4. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    NEAT!

Any thoughts in what to do, or more important, what NOT to do. What works and what does not?

Some of the many concerns that I saw from people are:
    Tire wear. Are DS tires OK, or do you need knobbies?
    Cookwear and food
    Is it really that wet there?
    and so forth
  5. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    Hi Sam... long time!!!

There are hundreds of Alaska Threads... Ride reports... all kinds of stuff with great info... Alaska reminds me of Mt Everest years ago when only a few select would climb it... they have now daily organized climbs... (well, just about!). You would have some very interesting winter reading to do...
    Might actually see you there next summer... will see where I end up...
    You be well... Ara

[​IMG]
  6. texasrider

texasrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    we used avon distanzia's. they were perfect everywhere we went. parts of the top of the world hiway was deep sand where the bikes moved around a lot. was great on the hard pack and gravel and pavement. ok on the dawson trail. we used 3 sets apiece on the trip of approx. 16000 miles. still have the last set on.
    we ate mostly at establishments we found, but had MRE's for back up.
    the state is one big wetlands, so after the thaw it can get boggy. that being said, weather was great on the way to the arctic ocean. had some rain in fairbanks, and denali, then mostly dry days until haines, skagway, juneau, and ketchikan (rains all the time in juneau).
    the largest mosquitoes i have seen, seem to be everywhere, especially after you reach watson lake, so prepare, especially in june and july.
    in fairbanks, the salmon bake at pioneer park, and the discovery boat tour is not to be missed.
    saw denali (park not the mountain) in the rain. saw less wildlife there than on the roads and hiways. i will skip the park when i go back. if the mountain is visible,(seldom is), it can be seen from many places without paying to tour the park in a bus.
    talkitna is the town where the tv show "northern exposure" was set. also a great place to stop for breakfast and just chill.
    didn't spend much time in anchorage. just another big city, but the area around it, palmer and wasilla has great riding and views, especially hatcher pass.
    homer with "the homer spit" is a good place to go fishing for halibut and eat a bit of fish and chips.
    valdez, where the pipeline terminates is a good place to take a boat tour of the prince william sound, and see a couple glaciers, one advancing, one retreating, and see a lot of aquatic animals.
    haines is a quiet little village with the chilcoot park on one end and the chilcat park on the other, and the bald eagle preserve on the road in. one of my favorite places in the world. did some salmon fishing in the canal, bought fresh dungeness crab, ate like kings. you can ferry to skagway for the day (30 min ride), learn history of the gold rush. the dalton trail starts just outside the city, and is good trail riding. catch the ferry for the passage to washington.
    saw so many bears (brown, and black), eagles, caribou, moose, and other indigenous to ak, it almost became passe.
    several of the stops on the amhs (alaska marine highway system) would be great fun to spend a couple of days. if you can make it fit your schedule with the ferry (sitka, petersburg, juneau, ketchikan).
    we departed the ferry in prince rupert, bc, and rode on to seattle, before turning east toward grand coulee dam, cour d'lene, id, and yellowstone, then heading home to okc and garland, tx.
    i'll find the names of some of the lodging if you want. we liked the b&b's and out of the way (less expensive) places, when not camping.
    if you are going to be in the fairbanks area on june 21, you may want to plan for a room well in advance as that is the solstice, and party time in town. it never gets dark that day.

on your way north, an extra day in whitehorse to see the "frantic follies" is fun. been running 19 years.

if you go whitehorse to dawson city, you can ride the dempster hwy to inuvik and back, then the top of the world hwy to chicken, ak.
    the end of the day at inuvik was far better than the end of the day at prudhoe bay imo, but i loved both trips.

A.C.

plan carefully for you weeks tour, as distances are great and there will be a lot of things to come back for. the week will fly.
  7. Popey

Popey Nutter

Oddometer:
    I did it last year and my advice would include:

- take as much time as you can (three weeks minumum from LA)
    - get off the beaten track as much as possible (Alcan is beautiful but RV hell)
    - spend some time off the bike (Denali, flightseeing, hiking etc)
    - I rode on TKCs and changed the rear in Fairbanks. Glad I had 'em in the sludgy dirt.
    - Good luck with George at Fairbanks BMW!

Ride report here if you're interested
  8. klrbaer

klrbaer Tim

Oddometer:
    Hey Popey, I just read your ride report from last year. Wow, great job!! Thanks for taking the time to post.
  9. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Hi Sam...

From June 25 through Sept 16 Richard Fawcett did the trip from NC... He moteled all the way but his Report (Web Site)

http://www.louwhitney.com/Travelogues/Alaskan Journey_Richard Fawcett/index.htm

....is very interesting and well written from the heart filled with all the side attractions that exists, with geographical and riding comparaisons between Alaska and other Southern parts of the Countries...

It is great reading... lots of info... it is like almost you are there! Long... but... what else have you going this winter!... He took the time to write it... I am sure most will find the time to read it...

Hope you enjoy it... I sure did...

Be well... Ara
  10. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be sure to stop in and see me if you come up Ara, I've got a place in Anchorage and a cabin in Homer. Barb
  11. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Hi Barb... nice to hear from you... definitely will!... No worry about sleeping quarters however... my Home Base is awesome... unless of course I leave it behind somewhere else...
    The "Mad Cow" is back on by the way!!!... holding up real well... might have to get a new one when I get there... has a criss in the middle somehow!
    You be well... Ara
  12. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    Hi Ara. What are you up to now again????? Good seeing that you are having fun. When are you coming this way?

The intent here is to try and consolidate all the wisdom and questions about Alaska into a single thread. I have read most of the single threads and as always ADVrider is a wealth of knowledge.
    I somewhat agree with your Mt Everest comparison, but it is still a great experience.
  13. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:

Great report Popeye, and awesome pictures. Did not even know you went.

Thank you!
  14. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm putting in a bunk house and showers in Homer-maybe you can be a "guest camp cook" for a day. Oops, I better make that "guest camp chef" Barb
  15. Popey

Popey Nutter

Oddometer:
    Great time, it's an amazing place. Glad you enjoyed the write up.
  16. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    I'd spend as much time as possible in southeast Alaska around Anchorage -- Whittier, Seward, Valdez, Denali -- and Skagway vs. the interior where the scenery is, well, a lot less spectacular. I've been in Fairbanks and up the haul road to the North Slope, I've been to Dawson and Inuvik, and while it's all big and beautiful and there are a few awesome places along the way, a lot of it looks the same and none of it compares to the spectacular sights along the mountainous coast.
  17. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I did my first trip there in '04 (report http://www.dantesdame.com/04alaska.htm and hope to do it again in '07, this time with the GS and a bit more knowledge. I'll also skip Deadhorse in favour of the Dempster and/or Denali :norton
  18. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    From a different post. This could be useful...
  19. Popey

Popey Nutter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, and I'd add Kennicott/McCarthy to that list - an amazing drive from Valdez. That said, the greatest element of 'adventure' is north of Fairbanks and is a must do, IMO.
  20. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    From LA, shoot up US 395, to Oregon, then shoot over to 95 via 20. Take 95 all the way up through Idaho to the Canadian border and do Baniff and Jasper National Parks-- this is a MUST SEE. There is a great modern log cabin Inn near the end or the Icefield Parkway in Jasper with 5 star chow.

From Jasper, take 16 West to 37 North to White Horse then take 2 (or is it 3) to Dawson City and then take the Top of the World Highway to Alaska. Do your Alaska loop thing (include at least one Glaicer/Whale Watching cruise out of Valdez), and then take the Alaska Ferry back down through the inside passage to Washington state. The Alaska coast line and the inside passage is a MUST SEE!!

From Washington, take highway 2 east to 97 to 395 south and back to S. Cal. Plan for 30 days +-. It will be the trip of a lifetime!:wink: