Alaska 2007

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Sam Buca, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Valleyrider

Valleyrider I Survived The '60s

Oddometer:
    Sitting a motel in Dawson Creek. Ready to assualt the AK HWY tomorrow. Weather was great until yesterday just south of Grand Cache Alberta. Rain and hail storm like I've never seen. I couldn't see!! Pulled to the side of the road and next thing I know, there's a dumpbed truck next to me. He rolls down the passenger side window and motions me and my buddy to get in. I wave him off, we're way to wet by now. Next thing, the dumpbed is going up! He raised it so we could stand under it. Took about 10 minutes for the cell to pass. Climbed up, shook his hand and thanked him. If I found him in Grand Cache, I would have bought him a beer :freaky and dinner!!
    Willie
  2. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Taking the historic tour in Skagway today, then on the ferry back to Bellingham on Saturday from Haynes. I'll be in rm #10 at the Mountain View Inn in Haynes if anyone wants to stop in for a beer.
  3. Brad Felmey

Brad Felmey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, AWOL - here's the ones I got of ya carrying that poor bicyclist's junk at the Arctic Circle on your way back. 'Twas a very nice thing to do - we found him a few miles north looking like he was about to have a stroke. :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SALUT! :D

[​IMG]
  4. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Well Iam checking late but yep I have them. Mike
  5. Adamb29

Adamb29 Music City USA

Oddometer:
    Well, that's ok. I got the rear at The Motorcycle Shop, and the front at Pro Sports.

I just got back to Fairbanks last night after my Deadhorse run. It was simply amazing. I can't believe the number of riders I've met on this trip who don't want to do this. The Dalton Hwy, to me, epitomizes the very essence of Alaska. It was by far the best 4 days on the road I have spent here.

View attachment 126099
  6. HeadingNorth

HeadingNorth Keep On The Gas!!

Oddometer:
    You rode all that without crash bars or a skid plate. When I did the Dalton and Top of the World I had tons of rocks banging off me. Wow!!

Glad you had a good time and made it back safe.

Wanna do it again??
  7. Valleyrider

Valleyrider I Survived The '60s

Oddometer:
    Sitting in the Westmark in Beaver Creek. Word of advice... Never plan on stopping at the Kluane Wilderness Resort. Closed!! Heading to Fairbanks tomorrow and the Haul Road on Wed. Got to get a Coldfoot Pilsner in me before the end of the week!!
    Rider Easy All,
    Willie
  8. ericb67

ericb67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adamb29 is my little brother, and I can't tell you guys how proud I am of him. He doesn't have a lot of riding experience, and he has even less camping experience. He posted a few messages in this thread and some awesome photos.

A lot of people said he was crazy for taking six weeks off of work (his saved vacation for several years) and leaving his wife and five year old daughter behind to ride from Nashville to Prudhoe Bay. We are a total of five brothers, and we all understood why he wanted to go. Heck, we're going soon too, but he's the first.

When he puts his mind to it, there isn't much Adam can't, or won't do. He made it to Prudhoe Bay and is on his way back. He took a lot of great photos and says there's a lot more to be seen.

So, while we've had our differences over the years, I just have to tell everyone how proud I am of my little brother for going all the way!:clap

Here's my favorite photo of him so far:
    View attachment 126246
  9. Roadhound

Roadhound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I Couldn't get gas in the upper BC. "We are out of gas. We should have some by Saturday, Monday at the latest." It was Thursday. I pressed on and ran out of gas 8 miles before the next stop. Twenty minutes later the first car came by and had some. When I offered him money for the gallon, he refused and said, "It doesn't work that way up here. Just help someone else if you have the opportunity". Sooooooo refreshing an attitude up there independent but unselfishly codependent.
  10. Roadhound

Roadhound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To stay further away from the bears and especially the moose up there. Judging by the picture if that bear was so inclined he would be mauled in a New York second. They look cute but they are wild. Moose will attack you for the sport of it they can open a car like they had a can opener. In either case that close is dangerous, these animals are a lot faster than you realize!
  11. ericb67

ericb67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I told him, believe me. He knows how fast they are and the risks... but still, you have to admit it's a cool photo!
  12. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I dont really feel like take'n the time to do a Ride Report, but I whated to share some photos of my first trip to Alaska.

[​IMG]

The Group.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
  14. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Just got back to Denver an hour ago. Vacation was getting old, so I rode 29 hours straight - through the night. 1300 miles, about 200 of them asleep, I think. I'll work on pictures when I wake up.
  15. DKADV

DKADV Travel is education

Oddometer:
    Denmark. USA, Canada & Alaska on KTM950ADV and 950
    Anybody in Alaska now...?

I'm pulling in to Skagway saturdaymorning heading to White Horse or Dawson, depending on what comes up.
    If you are in the area and wants to meet up, let me know.

Sonny
  16. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Just a note, there isn't much in the way of lodging in Skagway. It's a complete tourist trap. There are two campgrounds, though.
  17. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    The third pic from the top, Where IS that? Please. I have to go there.
  18. gsilvernale

gsilvernale Lowlander

Oddometer:
    I know its the Icefields Parkway between Bannf and Jasper. I have almost the same picture.
    This is closer the Jasper than Bannf. The picture is taken from the same road that you see in the picture. It just winds around a little bit.

The Icefields parkway is 200+ miles of this. After a while it gets boring.
  19. Adamb29

Adamb29 Music City USA

Oddometer:
    I had another rider take that pic. The bike is on and ready to go. The biggest worry I've had yet was the same situation, only with a buffalo. Holy Crap they're big!

Anyway, here is my favorite photo so far, this is going over Atigun Pass.
    View attachment 126780
  20. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Yep, thats it. I probably threw ya off since this should be all Alaska photos (but my trip to Alaska was consumed by riding through Canada:lol3 ).
    I could have spent my whole trip exploring this area of Canada; Next time I just might.