Alaska 2007

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Sam Buca, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Metrotexual

Metrotexual Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah... i signed that thing. :deal
  2. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Rabid Dog

Rabid Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK - I've got some questions for you well traveled Alaska Buffs or Alaska Locals. I'm having a hard time sorting out the ferry schedules. A few of us are interested in taking a ferry from somewhere around Anchorage to somewhere around Bellingham. What's the best options and how much is it gonna cost with rider and bike?

Thanks
  4. ak greeff

ak greeff fukengreeffen

Oddometer:
  5. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    I would suggest riding your bikes to Haines or Skagway before heading south via the ferry. The "Cross Gulf" route is runs across the swells from the Gulf of Alaska... for almost three days.:puke1

To make the AMHS site a bit easier to use, don't look at the schedules. Go to the "Make Reservations" page and go from there.:deal
  6. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yep, most here will strongly advise only taking the ferry between Prince Rupert BC and Haines or Skagway as opposed to the Gulf trip or Bellingham, WA.

10% discount for vehicle and operator if you go into or out of Prince Rupert and operator goes for FREE if you do a round trip anywhere this summer!

A thread I started on the ridin the ferry: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306558
  7. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    Whittier (near Anchorage) to Bellingham was something like five days and about $1000. Too long on the ferry. I wouldn't do it again. It's not like a cruise ship at all - very much a ferry. No shipboard amenities except for the bar.

My trip is here - https://danbrew.smugmug.com/gallery/1715563_UgmAG#P-25-15. Probably 50 or so photos of the ferry.

:)
  8. Rabid Dog

Rabid Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks ak greeff, kodiakfrank, AKDuc, and danbrew - Very helpful info. You guys are the best.

Maybe we'll see ya in the Great White North.

Happy hunting.
  9. roadhawg

roadhawg stromin

Oddometer:
    Im planning a trip to Alaska in two years on a v strom from western mass. At the moment i'll be going solo giving myself about a month. Any suggestions for planning or mod.s on the bike, its currently stock other than guards and bags.
  10. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    Sadly, somewhat, Alaska is getting to be a pretty ordinary place to visit. I don't mean that you won't see incredible things and have a great time, but it's not a complex trip to plan. Unless you're planning for Prudhoe Bay, you can literally, hop on your bike and take a credit card and nothing else and have a great trip.

The questions, though, are who are you? What kind of trip do you want? Do you want to camp?

(I like camping...!)

[​IMG]

(and, uh, I brought a ton of stuff with me...!)

[​IMG]

Get a copy of the Milepost and think about what you want to see. You could do a Mass to Alaska trip and back in two weeks if you really wanted to. Hell, depending upon how far into Alaska you want to go, you could do it in a week. A month would be very nice. Two months would be incredible.

If you plan it right you might see stuff like this:

[​IMG]

and this...

[​IMG]

:)
  11. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    You bought firewood in a box? From Yellowstone? Man the treehuggers will have your hide........Best O luck with that!:rofl
  12. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:

heh heh. At one point we had three full boxes of firewood in that fire. I worried that we were gonna cause another yellowstone great fire...