Alaska 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by paulgadget, May 4, 2007.

1. paulgadget

paulgadget Forever Learning

Oddometer:
    Ok, here it is..... my declaration:deal

As of 5-18-08 there are 2 of us leaving from San Diego:freaky

We will be departing from San Diego, and We will ride the Dempster rather than the Dalton . I plan on camping at least 90% of the time.

Here is one of our possible routes. (Revised 5-18-08)

The Alcan, Denali, Top of the World, Dempster, Campbell, Cassiar, and Telegraph Creek rd.

[​IMG]
  2. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Might just see you there! I haven't pinned down my dates yet but was thinking the first three weeks in July (coming from Vegas). I too have been thinking of doing the Dempster and skipping the Dalton. The Dalton looks nice but I think I only have time to enjoy one of them... don't want to have to rush things.

Nice route you got there!
  3. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I too plan to head for AK in 2008, I'll being doing the Haul Road going all the way up just so I can say I've done it. If time allow and I'm not burned out on gravel I'll then head to Invunk. Perahps we'll cross paths. 2008 will be very good year. :clap
  4. Texas42

Texas42 Native Texan

Oddometer:
    I am also planning to head that way from North Texas. Anyone from this area interested, plan on camping about half of the time.
  5. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:
    We are planning Alaska for 08 also. Planning on the Ferry 1 way and haven't planned the trip route yet. Our time frame will be close and we are planning on 4 weeks also. Will be 2 up on 07 1200 GS. It will be nice to know other folks making the run.

Tim
  6. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody from the northeast planning on going? I am tentatively planning leaving the beginning of July. Not sure of a return schedule as of yet.
  7. revel22

revel22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone from Minnesota thinking of going?

'05 Vstrom 650, all the touring farkles.
  8. ve8nc

ve8nc Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. paulgadget

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much ve8nc, like to buy you a beer when we get up there.
  10. HeadingNorth

HeadingNorth Keep On The Gas!!

Oddometer:
    Go to Barnes and Noble and get a Milepost. Absoultuly necessary. Has maps, photo's GPS coord. road conditions etc.
  11. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    One word of warning about this map. The routes shown to Tuk, and Aklavik are winter routes only and cannot be done in the summer. Other than that, I hope you all have good rides to the northland next summer. Watch for the Dust to Dawson thread in the Great White North regional form and see if you can time your stop in Dawson for the gathering next year.
  12. RxRick

RxRick Seeker of Trout

Oddometer:
    We made the exact same declaration last year about this time for an Alaska trip this coming July. The trip morph'd into a Continental Divide Trail ride instead of Alaska, and both of my buddies dropped out. I have since connected with two new people and we're leaving July 3rd.

I hope your plans work out and if they do, I might be interested in going. I'm 52, I ride a KTM 640Adv and I teach (so I have summers off). Keep me posted.

--RxRick
  13. paulgadget

Oddometer:
    I am going for sure, since I am planning on applying, after the trip, for temporary duty at Suda Bay Crete for minimum of 2 yrs. with the wife......so no matter what I am going.

Thank you for the warning Northrider, I understand the seasonal road closures, and liked the map for the good campground descriptions.

Yes, Phil I am planning on getting the 2008 edition of the Milepost, but as one other had said they brought it but did not open it. So I will gleen all the info and keep notes, but not take it along.
  14. gsilvernale

gsilvernale Lowlander

Oddometer:
    I would highly suggest that instead of riding the Alcan all the way, that you go ride the Cassiar higway up. It is much more scenic and the amount of wildlife (bear) that you will see will be much greater.

There is very little traffic on the Cassiar, (we saw 1 car in a hour at one point). And the folliage grows ride up to the road, while the Alcan is cut back about 50 yards on both sides.

We were on the Cassiar the first week of June, and we saw approximatley 20 bear. Most of them were black bears, but we did see a grizzly mom with two cubs.

Going into Stewart we saw lots of bear - approximately 8 black bears.
  15. BMaxx's Little Woman

BMaxx's Little Woman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :D I also am planning on going either late May or early June of 08 would like to maybe meet up with some ADVer's along the way to ride with. :clap :clap :clap Planning on three or four weeks and camping as much of the way as possible.:wink: PM me if you want to meet up and ride together some of the way.
  16. coop74

coop74 Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer:
    Two of us will be leaving from TN to Fairbanks on July 3rd.

Coop
  17. paulgadget

Oddometer:
    Sure thing BMaxx, I'll let you know when we have the dates nailed down.
  18. Happyjack

Happyjack 300 pound gorilla

Oddometer:
    I concurr. I did similar route in July 2006. The Cassier is worth the trip, and take a side trip to Stewart/Hyder. Excellent!
  19. Tom327Cat

Tom327Cat T-Dub rider

Oddometer:
    As an Alaskan allow me to suggest:
    Seward
    Homer
    Hatcher Pass
    Old Glenn highway
    The haul road is best viewed in fall (from a helocopter).
    Fairbanks is best viewed from inside.
    Deadhorse is best viewed in the rear view mirror.
  20. prariedog

prariedog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'd love to tag along. I"ll be retired then - 60's - used but not used up -new 1200 GS.:1drink That would be a dream trip for me. Room for one more?
    I'm terrib;le at computers so you can reach me at gbetz@thegroupinc.com I'm in Colo - could meet anywhere