Alaska 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by paulgadget, May 4, 2007.

1. paulgadget

paulgadget Forever Learning

Oddometer:
    In Hope wastin' too much time on the computer, have to hit the road.

some pics uploaded in my smugmug gallery ride report when we get back.
  2. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, ....more, ....we want more pictures. I'm starting to feel the itch :ricky. Our start day is July 18th...
  3. pinner

pinner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    MediMike and I are off this morning from Co. Springs. Green KLR and Red Tiger. Hope to hit PB in 12 days. See ya all out there!:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  4. ben35

ben35 n00b

Oddometer:
    well the final countdown is here i'm leaving sunday morning hope i won't forget anything i'm almost ready can't wait to get on the bike :ricky and go

:D
  5. Faustus

Faustus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just came back from PB. One day up and one day back to Fairbanks. Great ride, great road conditions although a bit dusty and if anything, too damn hot. We saw caribou. moose, sheep, two musk ox herds and great scenery. Lots of bikers on the road as well, saw a few ADV stickers out there.

In Fairbanks....beer in hand:freaky
  6. SKAKAVAC

SKAKAVAC Learning the hard way.

Oddometer:
    Faustus,

Just what I like to hear. Wife and I are leaving for PB on the 17th from Toronto. Can't wait. :thumb

Attached Files:

7. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    Has anybody camped at Meziadin Lake Provincial Park?

Somebody posted that the gas station at Meziadin was shut down. I assume the Dease Lake gas station is operational. Does anybody know the operating hours?

:ricky
  8. klebel

klebel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Faustus were you the guy with the KTM talking to me over a beer in Coldfoot be chance? We just got back to Fairbanks tonight and this is my first day with internet access. We got up to Deadhorse...said to ourselves...SCREW THIS and got back on the bikes and hauled ass back to Coldfoot. :rofl So we did about 500 miles of the Dalton that day and then headed back to Fairbanks today where we are going to change out some tires.

I did take a nice dump on the Dalton. I did a nice lowsider at about 45mph that took out my pannier. Oh well. I was being stupid so I had it coming. All in all I think the Dalton is really no worse than any of the logging roads or forest service roads in Washington. The big difference is that you are forced into 500 miles of it. From Fairbanks to Coldfoot is 80% blacktop. Even from Coldfoot to Deadhorse there is a ton of blacktop. The hardest part for me was the last 50 miles. I KNEW the goal was in sight. I got anxious and started throttling down more than I should of. The bike got squirrely on my and I losted at. The bike slid a good 50 ft and I went about 40 ft. Thankfully both the bike and myself hopped back up and finished the ride.

We did see two guys on BMW GSA's though about 1/2 day behind us headed north when we were headed South out of Deadhorse. In Coldfoot a guy asked us if one of our buddies was hurt. Turned out one of the GSA's wiped out pretty hard and the bike got left on the road. They finished the trip up to Deadhorse two up. No way in hell would you get me to do that last 50 miles two up.
  9. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    Thanx mate! We'll be barreling through there on July 23/24th...:ricky
  10. divedeep

divedeep Function, not fashion

Oddometer:
  11. Faustus

Faustus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yo Klebel....nope wasn't me man. We were there 7/4 and returned 7/5. We did see two GSA's heading up though....maybe one of the two that went down?

My buddy was riding a GSA and went down as well right around MP 40 in heavy gravel. Had a lowside at about 60mph....

He was fine, just a few bruises and bumps. The bike took a good hit but was rideable. He was more pissed about being only 40 miles away and going down. I heard two other guys went down right about there as well.

We left our panniers in Fairbanks otherwise I'm sure it would have been a lot worse. The KaTooM ate it up and handled the road amazingly well. My friend was trying to keep me in sight when he went down but I was probably doin about 80:evil and just floating over the heavy stuff....he bit it when he slowed down in a corner and the bike started to weave and instead of powering out he decreased throttle until it just tossed him. That was pretty scary. We planned to return to coldfoot but after his tumble, ice packs and rest was needed before our return.

Glad to hear you made it back safe and are enjoying the ride. We just got basck home last night. After his tumble and an apparant sprained ankle we decided to make our way home. Good timing, the weather turned for the worse starting on last sunday.

Back to editing photos and my RR!

Safe travels fellas:freaky

Santiago
  12. ErikBrazil

ErikBrazil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello guys,

Just finnished a 27.000 miles trip or 40.000km from sao paulo brazil to alaska (poudhoe bay ) and back to new york where a shipped the bike
    Well i just would like to say that was the most amazing trip ever and the peoople that i met on the road and wish meet here again were just great
    Hugs for all and go ride:clap
  13. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Congrats to all who've made it up for a visit and then got home unscathed. :D

It's been kind of a chilly summer here in Southcentral AK this year. Even the front page of today's paper had an article about how it's only hit 70 TWICE in Anchorage this year! It has been a lot warmer up north of here tho.

Hope everyone is having a good time.

Take care. Have fun, Mark H.
  14. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    Hope to see some of you on the road.....we are leaving in less than 24 hours. I feel like a kid going to Disneyland.

Heading west to Prince George from Edmonton and then up the Cassiar. Blue Wee Strom and a Black VStar.

Cheers!
  15. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    Same here, leaving Friday moning :ricky , same route, coming from Atlanta. a '07 1200GSA (license plate TREX63) and '02 1150GS.

Safe riding!
  16. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    We are in Valdez tonight. It is very cold and wet almost everywhere. Haven't met any ADVer's yet but probably seen dozens of you on he road. We'll post a full report when we get back but until then check out the blog for a quick update.
  17. WTF-OVER

WTF-OVER Yeah, Its Got a Boxer

Oddometer:
  18. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    Pulled into Whitehorse, YK today. We came up the Cassiar from Hyder, AK. Today was the first day we had rain since we left Atlanta, GA a week ago. Actually, it felt pretty nice. We hit 104 degrees crossing Idaho:knary. Also, had the first flat tire on the 1150GS today (...old briddle valve stem :bluduh )

Tomorrow its off to Dawson City...:ricky
  19. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got back last week from my 12,000 mile trek from Delaware to NWT and Alaska and back. Didn't do a ride report because, well, I didn't think I had anything terribly new to report... Did post some pics though if that helps www.exurban.smugmug.com

On the way up to Dawson from Whitehorse, stop in Braeburn Lodge for a giant cinnamon roll. In Dawson there's a good bakery on Front St. called The Chef and the Redhead. Next door is ice cream and just down from there is a place with outdoor tables that has good fish and chips.
  20. divedeep

divedeep Function, not fashion

Oddometer:
    Man, get used to the rain - it's been raining every day for more than a week. The newspaper says there're on the way to setting a new record this year for the coldest summer. Everyone we meet wants to tell us how cold and wet the summer has been. We saw a little sun yesterday for the first time in over a week. Have fun and enjoy your trip! :freaky