Alaska 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by paulgadget, May 4, 2007.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i also suggest the cassair with a side trip into stewart/hyder. then across the campbell from watson lake to carmacks, stop at mayo/kino, drive past the dempster turnoff into dawson for a break/resupply/systems check, then up the dempster and back, dawson, over the top to eagle, then chicken, and connect up to your route again. your gear needs to be in top shape and make no assumptions about fuel availability. those gravel roads change constantly, be cautious, you can be a long way from help. if you are unfortunate enough to run through a calcium chloride application, you need to power wash at the first opportunity-that stuff sets up like concrete. as for the dempster, it is notoriously greasy in the rain, still has sections of crushed shale on the road surface, high winds around the circle and divide can make those sections dicey, and the ferry landings can be only minimally graded with bank run material-sometimes challenging on a loaded bike. that said, the dempster is still one of the great rides in north america, in particular up to ft. mcphearson.
  2. treysmagna

treysmagna Bald is beautiful

Oddometer:
    Right now I am 50/50 on going next year. I had planned to do it and leave the first week of June, but there are a couple of things I have to decide before I make my plans. I may have to put it off until June of 09, but I really want to try to do it next year. It has been two years since I was up there and I think every day how bad I want to go back!
  3. paulgadget

paulgadget Forever Learning

Oddometer:
    Just finished nailing down my time off from work, I am off from June 15th '08 to July 23 '08 (39 days):clap I plan on spending 30 or 35 days traveling.

The core players have changed, the one buddy's father was diagnosed with Lukemia, I hope all the best of luck for him.

So now the other buddy is still coming plus now his wife wants to come along, she will be riding her own '06 1200gs.

The route has changed a little no more ferry, I decided to save that cash for a flightseeing tour out of Talkeetna. So up the Alcan and down the Hwy 37<SP? p <><SP? p < Hwy>
    [​IMG]
  4. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    First time up there is planned for June/July '08. Have 32 days from Sacramento area.
    Cammy will be on the back most if not all of it.
    Deadhorse is a must just to say it happened.
    Everything in between too.
    See ya all up there! Can hardly friggin wait!!!
    Already have a Milepost. We tend to plan nearly nothing. Always works!
    Mark
  5. ABADV

ABADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Myself and three friends will be leaving Calgary, Alberta on June 23rd. They are trailering from Houston TX. Two DL's, 1 GS and I will be on a KLR. We will be returning to Calgary on July 11th.
  6. cbxtc6

cbxtc6 On my Way...

Oddometer:
    A bunch of us (probably 4-5) will be headed that way end of June from N. Illinois. Will keep tuned, and hopefully hook up somehwere!
  7. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    I am riding the same route. Leaving 2nd week in July. Going alone on a 990 KTM, moteling every 3rd day or so. I was going this year until I broke my foot in half:cry. I would go right now if i could, I can't wait.
  8. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Hey fookers, I'm here in Alaska already (Juneau), and sometime next year will be riding from either Skagway or Haines to... destination unknown at this time!

I'll be watching this thread...
  9. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the National Geographic Channel- Series on Sunday called Extreme Alaska. Looks like two episodes starting at 9:00 pm Sunday eastern time.

I'm planning on 44 days beginning June 7 from Delaware. Might even be around Dawson during D2D.
  10. ABADV

ABADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I said KLR.....how silly of me....I meant Katoom 950
  11. paulgadget

Oddometer:
    I have a basic itinerary for anyone who is interested.

As you all should know this will change but it is my first draft of what I would like to do.
  12. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    I just did a similar trip in July 2007, and I also recommend that you ride the Cassiar. Having done both I think it is really important not to miss the Cassiar. When you get to Hyder, make sure you do Salmon Glacier also.

Also, if your taking an R1200GS on all of that dirt road, you are going to need to make sure you pack extra brake pads for the rear brakes. After driving on roads that looked like this for three days,

[​IMG]

my rear brake pads looked like this, from grit getting embedded in them.

[​IMG]
    Definately an R1200gs problem to be prepared for. I was not the only one at Trails End getting new pads, and I was just lucky they still had any left in stock, so buy them before you leave. And shop around, as BMW wants 65.00 a pair for them.

Pack plenty of mosquito repellent. Stuff wears off in minutes up there, and you will meet plenty of people that don't have any or have run out. So pack extra.
    Definately a good looking trip. I wish you all the best on it. I will never regret going on mine.
  13. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    Wow....
  14. paulgadget

Oddometer:
    I plan on packing a set of brake pads.

Here is a link to my route file:

My-Garmin-GPS-file

and here is a link to a pdf file of priliminary itinery of the trip, planning a pre-trip party on Father's Day

PDF-Alaska-itinery

Updated files 5-18-08
  15. Arcticflyer

Arcticflyer Dei gratia

Oddometer:
    For the last 15 years DS folks from around the country (world) pass through Dawson City, Yukon during the summer soltice. This event has become known as the Dust to Dawson ride. In 2007 we had ~ 120 riders make it.

June 19-20 2008 Dawson City.

It is worth tweaking the schedule a bit to make.

Hope to see on the road.

Mike
  16. Faustus

Faustus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto regarding brake pads. My buddy and I rode the Dempster on KLR's last year and both of our rear brake pads were toast and even scored the rotors before we noticed...crazy ride on the way out with nothing but mud and very heavy rainfall and wind...it was awesome:freaky

We rode back to Seattle with no rear brakes:lol3

Doing it again in '08, this time on a 950!

Cheers-

Santiago

My ride report....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166507&highlight=alaska+2006
  17. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your route looks good to me. We did a similar route this past late May to June, just do it. A once in alifetime ride that must be done again. The ferry was one of the highlights. Try to book early and get a 4 berth with sitting area, more room and a table with great views. Man, what a ride.
  18. White Knuckles

White Knuckles Insufficient memory

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The roads from Pr. George to Dawson Creek then Fort Nelson etc. are not that interesting on a bike. I recommend going west from Pr. George and taking the Cassiar Highway north to the Alaska Highway just west of Watson Lake (good cafe at that junction). The ferry ride, while expensive, should be fun.
  19. paulgadget

Oddometer:
    As usual plans change, and will change again no doubt.:rofl

Knuckles, we will be doing both roads Alcan and Cassiar and no ferry, I would rather pay the money for a flight seeing tour out of Talkeetna than take a long boat ride ( did the Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in '06)

I had the links for the route itinery posted a few threads back.<SP? p threads few a back.<>
    here is the newest route:deal

[​IMG]
  20. Jacpod

Jacpod Been here awhile

Oddometer: