Alaska 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by paulgadget, May 4, 2007.

1. Phish

Phish Fishbone

Oddometer:
    Friar, I wondered where you got those. :lol3
  2. lenoreray

lenoreray Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coolwater Ridge in central Idaho. Another place V-Stroms can't go? :lol3

[​IMG]
  3. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    Fixed

oh and don't take a Tiger or Uly or a Road King or any of the other bikes I saw up there in the mud this summer. Wow, sounds like a good thing you're taking a support vehicle.
  4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Wish I'd have known this before. I'd have never taken my FZ1 out there. Sounds spooky.

What specifically is it that makes the BM a better choice? :ear
  5. sherco

sherco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I are going sometime in June(as yet not specified). I'm on a DL1000 and he is going to ride his DR650--against my advice. We are going to be on a loose schedule since we are both only quasi-semi-kinda employed. We are heavy drinkers, like good food and are generally lazy so we will not be worried about making high mile days. If we don't get killed or arrested maybe we'll see you there. I'm leaving from Charleston S.C., meeting my friend in Santa Fe, NM. then we heading more or less north. I'll PM you my cell and If we're ever close I'll buy you a beer. I have friends and family who are firefighters so
    I'll expect y'all to behave appropriately.

I'm sure you are aware of the tragedy we had here this spring when nine died.

..............Jay
  6. ve8nc

ve8nc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have seen lots of Vstrom's travelling up here, along with Gold Wings, Harleys, etc. Its just a normal gravel road which is well travelled. Everyone in Inuvik own street bikes except two people and they have all travelled the Dempster. The only problem is when it rains alot. I just got back from my trip out and back in a Dodge Caravan with summer tires on. Not the best choice for tires, but did not want to buy more tires. Present weather is minus -29 with blowing snow. Dempster had been closed for four days because of this.

David from Inuvik, with 32 years here.
  7. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alaska can be done by almost any good road bike. It has more to do with the riders ability versus the bikes. A good rider can do this ride, a bad bike cannot. Have it well prepared and you will be fine. I saw all kinds of bikes , the mud and rain seperate the men from the boys. My 01 R1150 GS was flawless. Enjoy.
  8. marakesh express

marakesh express Dream Maker

Oddometer:
    I`ll be going up the Cassiar in the middle of August. Just reading through this thread and noted it is closed on occasions.

I`m assuming this is in the fall through to Spring. Any idea if it likely to be fully open in August!

Keep some for rear pads on the shelf for my 1100gs Friar Mike:evil
  9. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on leaving Edmonton June 18th for 17 days.

Maybe we can meet up along the way. What is your basic route plan?
    I'm aiming for north up the Cassiar, to Valdez, then ferry over to Whittier. From there Seward/Homer/Anchorage. Fairbanks is optional, and then south down the Alcan back home.
  10. Valleyrider

Valleyrider I Survived The '60s

Oddometer:
    The Cassiar is subject to slides/washouts. If there is a wet summer with lots of storms it will be closed from time to time. Found the link below to be fairly useful. I took a laptop on my trip to Alaska and, when possible, checked road conditions.
    http://drivebc.ca/map.jsp?mapId=1&scale=5000000&showAll=true&x=117&y=95
  11. Gene McCall

Gene McCall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    F. Mike, how about posting a picture of you in those pants. From what I have seen in pictures of D2D you will not be the only person dressed, shall we say strangely!

When I get my ST back later this month I will post a picture with the Lil Bunkhouse trailer hooked up so you can see what the STMMH (ST Mini-Motor Home) looks like. I think Don & I will be hard to miss, as long as we are on the bike.

BTW here is a verbal description of my tentative route to Dawson City. This was in an email sent to riding buddies.

"Enter Canada via I-5 at Vancover

Hwy 99 from Horseshoe Bay north. This stretch is one of the steepest we will encounter. If we can make this on the ST mini-motorhome (STMMH) the rest of the trip will be easy.

We will pick up Hwy 97 north of Cache Creek and follow it north to Prince George. There we will take Hwy 16 west to Kitwanga and turn north on Hwy 37. This Hwy connects with 37A, the Hwy to Stewart, BC/Hyder, Alaska. We may or may not take a ride to Hyder, depends on time.

We will stay on Hwy 37 all the way north to Upper Lizard Village/Watson Lake area where we will pick up Hwy 1 northwest to Whitehorse (they like Horse names in Canada!).

At Whitehorse we will turn more northerly on Hwy 2 for Dawson City. If we arrive early we will camp in the Dawson City area to meet anyone who makes it to D2D.

From Dawson City we will head west on Hwy 9 into Alaska. We will follow Hwy 5 through Chicken to Tok, near where we will pick up Hwy 1. We will follow Hwy 1 to Glennallen where we will pick up Hwy 10/4. We will follow Hwy 4 into Valdez.

In Valdez we will attempt to take a ferry to the Whittier/Portage area. I say attempt because ferry space is tight and I am not sure if we will be able to reserve a spot while we are at D2D. If we can't swing the ferry we will back track to Hwy 1 and follow that into Anchorage.

In Anchorage we will have to decide if we are going to tour the Kenai Peninsula. If we do we will probably head to Seward and try for a ferry again to get around to Homer. It may be too expensive or no room, who knows?

That is as far as I have gone on planning. Denali is a bit of a problem since the Denali Hwy 8 I would like to take from Cantwell to Paxson is 136 miles and most is gravel, closed in the winter! Could be very rough in late June."

This is very long but I must add one comment my Aussie buddie and I will be on a summer long trip. We are leaving June 5th and don't expect to get back to Murfreesboro, TN until around August 20th. He will have to leave the country to go home on about the 28th.:freaky :clap
  12. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    Hey, I just Quoted Myself!...........Ha!

Getting close. Two bikes now.
    Adding;
    Anchor Point Beach, (farthest west place you can ride on a regularly public used road, w/o getting on a ferry).
    Dempster to Inuvik.

Mark
  13. paulgadget

paulgadget Forever Learning

Oddometer:
    As I said plans changed.

I for sure have to leave San Diego on the the 17th of June and be back no later than the 23 of July.

No worries, I know there will be alot of travelers to meet up with on the road.

Can't wait!
  14. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
  15. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has alot more to do with the rider than the bike. I saw all kinds of bikes headed to Alaska and none of them broken down on the side of the road. I rode my R1150GS and was very happy I took it. What you take is up to you. Prepare it well and then sit back and enjoy that long and winding road. Stop and smell the fireweed(roses) and meet the people along the way. Scenery like this for days on end is hard to describe.
  16. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    That is PERFECT ADVICE. But, since it is free, probably few people will heed it. :1drink :evil
  17. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    There! Corrections made. :rofl
  18. b_uffalo

b_uffalo Bruichladdich

Oddometer:
    I'm sure someone has already told you not to miss the Denali Hwy (8) it is awsome.
    Something else you might want to consider is going to McCarthy in the Wrangell-St Elias National Park. It is 125 miles from Glenallen which is on your route. The last 58 miles from Chitina to McCarthy is gravel I really enjoyed this ride. Access into McCarthy is by a narrow bridge not wide enough for a car but wide enough for a GSA with saddle bags, so when all the other tourists are walking you'll be riding.
    There is camping, hotel & hostel the people were the most interesting people I'd met on my whole trip. You can ride up to Kennecott Mine 7 miles & hike to the glacier.:clap
  19. b_uffalo

b_uffalo Bruichladdich

Oddometer:
    I did the Denali in late June 07 no problem don't miss it.
  20. Gene McCall

Gene McCall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bill, this is the kind of advice I have been waiting for. Since I will now be riding a sidecar rig I should be able to make almost any gravel road! Thanks, Gene:thumb